Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:42 AM

155 posts, read 297,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I'm sure there are tons of people who are used to much nicer areas than wherever it is that you live. What's that got to do with anything?

First you said Hicksville is screwed because it's "right on top" of New Cassel, now the story is that you don't like that neighborhood in Hicksville because it "reminds you of" New Cassel? Mhmm.... there are plenty of valid criticisms to be made, but from what you've already said it sounds like you're just making crap up. From Morgan Street in Hicksville, the nearest residential area of New Cassel is over two miles away. If you lived in Salisbury Estates it would be a similar distance, but (again) only bordered by commercial/industrial areas and one of New Cassel's more upscale neighborhoods.

I'm really confused as to what the point of saying anything was...
The point was simple - new cassel is not an area most people I know would want to live in. I thought the area my friend lived in was closer to new cassel but it isn't, my mistake. Time to move on, mmkay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,294,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
06/24/08) NEW CASSEL - Authorities responding to a 911 call found a woman dead on the second floor of an abandoned New Cassel home.
Police made the grisly discovery around 1:15 p.m. Tuesday. The woman's body was found under a pile of debris.

A man was taken away in a squad car as News 12 Long Island arrived at the scene, but he was not in handcuffs.

Police are only saying that they are investigating the death as a homicide and are trying to make an accurate identification of the body.

According to neighbors, the house has been vacant for three years and has a history of trouble surrounding it.
And here's something that happened recently:
(09/05/08) WESTBURY - Police are investigating a robbery at the County Road Stationary Store which left one clerk injured Friday.
The incident happened around 1 p.m. Police say at least one shot was fired and the 67-year-old clerk was shot in the lower abdomen. Authorities say the clerk underwent surgery for his wounds and is in critical condition.

The store is known throughout the community as a popular place to buy lottery tickets, which may have been why it was targeted.

"There is plenty of money coming in. It’s a big lotto business and, of course, they figure it’s an easy pick," says patron Jack Hazan.

Police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the robbery but have confirmed that the gunman left with money.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Here is a post in another thread on this very forum:
The problem is things like this occur frequently in New Cassel. In the past year there has been several gang attacks, rapes, and we of course cannot forget the senseless deaths of children that happened a few months ago. When I ride the bus through there I always see police activity. At least the NCPD is doing more in the area I guess.
But it's always been a ghetto, this is nothing new, and I dont think the new buildings going up are going to change a thing. As long as slumlords are allowed to own so many illegal rentals the community will continue to suffer. If slumlords were owning illegal rentals in places like Manhasset, they'd be on it right away. Same goes for a vacant house with squatters. But because it's New Cassel, North Hempstead Town doesn't get involved, since they have no desire to try and fix ghettos.
No place can be completely safe from crime, but New Cassel has a too frequent occurance of it.
As long as the area is dumped on by slumlords, section 8, welfare motels, it will remain a ghetto.
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...town-li-4.html

WELL SAID....I'm glad to see there are other enlightened LI'ers out there.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Hicksville? Absoutely, I have a friend who lives in Hicksville a few blocks from New Cassel and the area is terrible. He is miserable and can't wait to leave. The block looks like a wreck, people don't take care of their landscaping, fences, homes, etc. There's broken down cars everywhere, garbage, etc. Jericho is more insulated as the Jericho homes are not right on top of New Cassel homes.
I'm guessing this is the area off W.John street? There have been alot of ppl moving out of there and slumlords moving in, often putting 20 or more ppl in one house. It's the same deal, like you said in your other post, the town doesn't want to do anything because its not a rich area. It all started when men started loitering outside of 7-11 for work, the 7-11 kicked them off but now they are hanging out and getting drunk by the laundromat. Gang signs are everywhere. Cantiague park for example is really bad. It not new, I remember going there with my mother back in 1999, and these guys were cat-calling and leering at her. The area is loaded with illegals. But no one wants to do anything about it because they are paid to look the other way.
It really upsets me to see what were once, safe, reasonable places to live being turned into ghettos. New Cassel has always had problems, but places like Westbury Village, Hicksville, Farmingdale (hang around Conklin and Seagotogue), Medford,etc used to be nice, now they are having problems with rampant crime, gangs, overcrowding,etc. Our island has changed alot, the wealthy areas have gotten richer, but in the process many safe blue collar areas have been destroyed. In the end I'd say that we have less of an island where we can expect to feel reasonably safe than we did 20 years ago. It doesn't seem like other NYC suburbs are having as many problems, but they dont have the rich/poor polarization as bad as here on LI.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
This this might have more to do with you Friends street then New Cassel. There are many nice looking houses/blocks in New Cassel. Off of Prospect Ave most streets look like any other street on LI. And even Prospect is in the middle of a "redesign".
The redesign wont do a thing. Why? Because the slumlords and overcrowded houses are still there. The gangs of illegals are still there, they'll be tagging those new buildings in no time.
And what will these new buildings be? Low income rentals? More bodegas and money wiring services? Or budget doctor offices, we've had quite a few pop up on Post ave recently.

If we really want to improve New cassel we will need to shut down illegal rentals. We need to make sure the type of businesses we are bringing in will attract stable people, places like banks, coffee shops, resteruants,etc.
Also I think a stop should be added on the LIRR for New Cassel, to help bring gentrification to the community, as well as enhanced bus service.
A zero tolerance policy on grafitti should be made, where any graffitti must be removed within 48 hours or the building owner should be fined.
Perhaps it would encourage building owners to put up cameras to catch and find the people who are doing the tagging.
In Hicksville they put up a new building on Broadway, just south of the LIRR, its already covered in tags for 18th street and Surenos. This is how bad things are here.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:16 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,568,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
And here's something that happened recently:
(09/05/08) WESTBURY - Police are investigating a robbery at the County Road Stationary Store

Johninwestbury, is County Road Stationary, located at 609 Old Country Road, on the north side (in New Cassel) or on the south side (in Salisbury) of Old Country Road?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Johninwestbury, is County Road Stationary, located at 609 Old Country Road, on the north side (in New Cassel) or on the south side (in Salisbury) of Old Country Road?
It's on the north side, in the Associated (used to be Waldbaums) shopping center.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 PM

556 posts, read 1,441,633 times
That is an associated now?

I used to work there when it was waldbaums, and it was pretty bad then. We had to move a whole aisle of HBC products because we were losing THOUSANDS of dollars a day!

I met some nice people in there, but seen my fair share of undesirables too...i cant imagine a associated will make anything nicer.

I would like to add that salisbury is on the other side of the street, like the CVS and is very nice...

Old 09-08-2008, 05:49 PM

148 posts, read 560,561 times
Wasn't this post supposed to be about Salisbury Estates??
Start a New Cassel thread if you want to continue this convo.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM

There was talk about the CVS on Post ave closing because they are having huge problems with theft, even though that store is always busy. And one of their employees getting off at night and walking home got mugged. These issues were brought to the attention of the "safety comission" here in the village but nothing got done. The safety commision is a joke, I dealt with them when the dog attacked me and they did nothing either. A bunch of useless people paid to do nothing...they just kiss up to Mayor Strada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island