Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:20 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The original numbers I stated using 07 & 08 were from my tax numbers. Again although you think otherwise, the way assessment impacts your taxes is the change in your assessment compared to the average change in assessment of the particular taxing jurisdiction. So if your homes value is increasing by more than the jurisdiction average during upturns or decreasing by less than the jurisdiction average during downturns, you will see an increase, if the change is inline with the overall change in the jurisdiction you won't see a difference and if your value increases by a lower rate than the average in the jurisdiction during upturns or declines faster than the average in the jurisdiction during downturns you will see a decrease.

As far as my county taxes, over the last few years, it has generally stayed in the same general area, some years it has gone up slightly, other years it has declined slightly (depending on how the value of my home has compared to the county average.

Could it be possible that your including your town taxes when you are saying your county taxes have gone up, since they are generally due around the same time?? Because in recent years, the town taxes have gone up in Oyster Bay and Hempstead.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but here's a direct quote from the County Assessor's website on how the market value of an individual property is determined. It is a prediction of market value based on a statistical analysis of like properties sold in a given market area. It has nothing to do with average values.

"Multiple Regression Analysis (MRA) – Multiple regression analysis is a statistical technique used to analyze residential data in order to predict market value. The assessor, with the help of a statistics program, analyzes predetermined variables like bathrooms, garages, and square footage in a large group of current sales in a given market area (also referred to as a neighborhood or model) to determine the relationship of each variable to the sale price.
Typical variables in a model include: Square footage, Location, Bathrooms, Garages, Porches, Fireplace, In-ground Pool, Basements, and Heat/Air Conditioning.
Selection criteria for comparable sales include: School District, Style, Neighborhood, Year built, Water Influence, Square Footage, and Village."

Further, the tax rate is not expressed as percentage of the home's assessed value as you have offered. It is expressed as a dollar figure per one hundred dollars of assessed value (based on .25% of assessed value.) If you'll check your tax bills, you'll see that the numbers are all over the map in terms of what the tax rates are and have been for the past several years. Although they vary by each levy, generally, they have increased.

And as far as the county not raising taxes since 2002, my county taxes (all county levies combined) have gone up almost 3% in the past year alone, about half of the percentage increase in the assessed value of my home. This illustrates perfectly my assertion that the county (and other governmental entities) are getting more money from residents without a so-called tax increase (read: tax rate increase) simply by allowing the assessed values to increase utilizing current tax rates. Please don't try to tell me that Suozzi hasn't raised my County tax since 2002 -- it's simply not true.

Bottom line is that as my assessment goes up, so do my taxes. And when it goes down, my taxes don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 AM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I don't know where you're getting your information, but here's a direct quote from the County Assessor's website on how the market value of an individual property is determined. It is a prediction of market value based on a statistical analysis of like properties sold in a given market area. It has nothing to do with average values.

"Multiple Regression Analysis (MRA) – Multiple regression analysis is a statistical technique used to analyze residential data in order to predict market value. The assessor, with the help of a statistics program, analyzes predetermined variables like bathrooms, garages, and square footage in a large group of current sales in a given market area (also referred to as a neighborhood or model) to determine the relationship of each variable to the sale price.
Typical variables in a model include: Square footage, Location, Bathrooms, Garages, Porches, Fireplace, In-ground Pool, Basements, and Heat/Air Conditioning.
Selection criteria for comparable sales include: School District, Style, Neighborhood, Year built, Water Influence, Square Footage, and Village."

Further, the tax rate is not expressed as percentage of the home's assessed value as you have offered. It is expressed as a dollar figure per one hundred dollars of assessed value (based on .25% of assessed value.) If you'll check your tax bills, you'll see that the numbers are all over the map in terms of what the tax rates are and have been for the past several years. Although they vary by each levy, generally, they have increased.

And as far as the county not raising taxes since 2002, my county taxes (all county levies combined) have gone up almost 3% in the past year alone, about half of the percentage increase in the assessed value of my home. This illustrates perfectly my assertion that the county (and other governmental entities) are getting more money from residents without a so-called tax increase (read: tax rate increase) simply by allowing the assessed values to increase utilizing current tax rates. Please don't try to tell me that Suozzi hasn't raised my County tax since 2002 -- it's simply not true.

Bottom line is that as my assessment goes up, so do my taxes. And when it goes down, my taxes don't.

Bottom line must be your home is raising in value faster than the county average. Therefore your taxes have gone up.

As for the 0.25%, if you look at what I wrote you will see that I added that as an extra step. The tax rate per assessed value was $136.62 per $100 of assessed value in 2008, in 2007 the tax rate was $143.341 per $100 of assessed value. The assessment did go up, but the actual rate went down. The only way your taxes would have gone up was if your assessment increased at a higher rate than the average assessment in the county.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

155 posts, read 298,614 times
Quote:
Sorry, but each year the assessed value of my home increases, so do my taxes. This is because taxes are based on a constant percentage (rate) of the assessed value. My county taxes are already significantly higher than they were in 03 (without any improvements, changes, etc). Suozzi may not have raised the rate since 02, but the increase in assessed value has given him a stealth tax increase every year.
Of course taxes have gone up... how else do you think we can afford to pay patrol cops 117k a year plus benefits unmatched anywhere else?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Bottom line must be your home is raising in value faster than the county average. Therefore your taxes have gone up.

As for the 0.25%, if you look at what I wrote you will see that I added that as an extra step. The tax rate per assessed value was $136.62 per $100 of assessed value in 2008, in 2007 the tax rate was $143.341 per $100 of assessed value. The assessment did go up, but the actual rate went down. The only way your taxes would have gone up was if your assessment increased at a higher rate than the average assessment in the county.
You're proving my point. My assessment is going up and my taxes are increasing along with it. Suozzi doesn't have to increase taxes year after year -- the assessment does that for him.

Re-read my earlier post on how the assessment is conducted. There is no such thing as a "county average." Your assessment is based on comparative values in the neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
Of course taxes have gone up... how else do you think we can afford to pay patrol cops 117k a year plus benefits unmatched anywhere else?
Careful, your jealousy is showing again.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:52 PM

155 posts, read 298,614 times
Quote:
Careful, your jealousy is showing again.
You are correct, I am jealous I was unable to be a goof off in high school, not pay tens of thousands of dollars for college, and still live an upper middle class lifestyle without the worries of layoffs or downsizing. However someone like me would aspire to more than being a ticket writer, and therefore the job would be severely inadequate.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
You're proving my point. My assessment is going up and my taxes are increasing along with it. Suozzi doesn't have to increase taxes year after year -- the assessment does that for him.

Re-read my earlier post on how the assessment is conducted. There is no such thing as a "county average." Your assessment is based on comparative values in the neighborhood.
Your taxes went up because your assessment increased outoaced the county average increase. As I pointed out the other day and showed the #'s of what the county has received in property tax since 03, virtually no change.

Assessment is based on what you mentioned, but how the assessment impacts the taxes is based off how your assessment changed compared to the jurisdictional average. Over the past few years, as the county hasn't raised property taxes some homeowners have seen their taxes rise, others have seen it decline, that is based off hwo their change in assessment is compared to the jurisdictional average. Over the past few years, I have seen my county taxes increase some years, and decrease others, even though the assessment was going up each year. It went up when my change in assessment outpaced the county average, it declined when my change in assessment, was less than the county average.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
You are correct, I am jealous I was unable to be a goof off in high school, not pay tens of thousands of dollars for college, and still live an upper middle class lifestyle without the worries of layoffs or downsizing. However someone like me would aspire to more than being a ticket writer, and therefore the job would be severely inadequate.
Ahh, the agenda again. You can't seem to give it up.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:37 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Okayyyyy. Please don't carp on this again so keeper and I do not have to close this thread. Thank you.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Your taxes went up because your assessment increased outoaced the county average increase. As I pointed out the other day and showed the #'s of what the county has received in property tax since 03, virtually no change.

Assessment is based on what you mentioned, but how the assessment impacts the taxes is based off how your assessment changed compared to the jurisdictional average. Over the past few years, as the county hasn't raised property taxes some homeowners have seen their taxes rise, others have seen it decline, that is based off hwo their change in assessment is compared to the jurisdictional average. Over the past few years, I have seen my county taxes increase some years, and decrease others, even though the assessment was going up each year. It went up when my change in assessment outpaced the county average, it declined when my change in assessment, was less than the county average.
What exactly are the taxes you guys are looking at? Is it the County General Levy or the sum of all county taxes on the bill? I'm just trying to follow, these things make my head spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: