Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 83,801 times

Advertisements

What are some of the more desirable parts of town in reagards to buying a house? How is the area by mercy hospital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 04:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
longislandsearch2010, the same question was asked about the Village of Rockville Centre in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...le-centre.html

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM

22 posts, read 62,751 times
Can you please compare the GC and RVC based on retention of home values and the current housing market? Let's talk about mid-priced homes in both communities, in the $800K - $900K range. Also I heard that taxes were less in GC b/c of the businesses in the area. Is this true? What about RVC - It has a lot of stores, too. Maybe the stores are different?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Malverne, Lakeview, Baldwin, and Freeport are bad areas?
Malverne isn't a bad area...in fact it is very nice. I think the schools are lousy although some parts of Malverne go to Valley Stream schools.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM

111 posts, read 431,652 times
Default Rockville Centre

I am looking to possibly move to Rockville Centre. My wife and I just went to some open houses this weekend and we like the feel of the town and all of its quaint homes.

I wanted to know is there any section of Rockville Centre which is more or less desirebles. We liked the section which is zoned for the Wilson Elementary School.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS. Alan Greenspan please do not reply regarding if Rockville Centre is a hamlet or a village. I know you can't help yourself but it is annoying.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post

PS. Alan Greenspan please do not reply regarding if Rockville Centre is a hamlet or a village. I know you can't help yourself but it is annoying.
Alan Greenspan

Alan Greenspan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 18,413 times
Quote:
I am looking to possibly move to Rockville Centre. My wife and I just went to some open houses this weekend and we like the feel of the town and all of its quaint homes.

I wanted to know is there any section of Rockville Centre which is more or less desirebles. We liked the section which is zoned for the Wilson Elementary School.

Thanks

Thanks
I always though it was a script/macro. An actual person post that info each time a town is mentioned?

As far as RVC most of the town is great to live in. You have some ragged buildings here and there but overall it is a great place to live.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:53 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
^^^ Both Alan and Walter are real people. He DOES occasionally respond in another fashion.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM

111 posts, read 431,652 times
I was hoping if someone could tell me which part if any of RVC was less desireable. I read some previous threads and it seems some people do not like RVC because it borders Baldwin and South Hempstead. I drove in these areas and they seemed fine to me. I think we prefer the area near the Wilson Elementary. Any comments would be greatly appreciated..

Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

Thanks

Thanks
Community planned back in the 1930's with some nice older homes. They have their own police department, power company, close to Molly College on the north, their own little league astro turf soccer/lacrosse field for little league (thank you Skelos), Private Golf Club Rockville Links. Their village taxes are rather high and just went up 10% last year. The schools are above average and many of the students go to Catholic HS's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island