Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:21 PM

80 posts, read 496,653 times

Advertisements

Can someone compare Rockville Centre to Garden City. Schools, housing and quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 AM

1,917 posts, read 7,081,383 times
Bumping this up as I would like to know the same. These are two areas we are considering.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 AM

510 posts, read 2,195,189 times
Rockville center is a great town to live in loaded with shopping, and beautiful homes. If you are looking in rockville center, I would make sure the house is in Rockville center schools. The schools are excellent. Im not sure if it is possible to live in RVC and attend oceanside side schools, but if there is a zone that attends oceanside, then that is also an excellent school district.

I know nothing of Garden city....I am sorry

Old 04-30-2007, 02:00 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,081,383 times
Surrounding towns concern me. Should I be concerned? It seems you have to travel through some not so great areas no matter which way out of RVC.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 AM

177 posts, read 890,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bhere View Post
Surrounding towns concern me. Should I be concerned? It seems you have to travel through some not so great areas no matter which way out of RVC.
Oceanside is right next door...great town. We are in RVC but have Oceanside Schools (I grew up in O'side and had a wonderful experience in the district). Can't really think of a "bad" part of RVC that is residential. Of course, along the main highways (Merrick Road and Sunrise Highway), it's more industrial in the sense of stores, etc but overall, I've always felt very safe there.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-19-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: name change

Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM

68 posts, read 420,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bhere View Post
If you concerned about surrounding towns, you should also know that Garden City shares a border with the village of Hempstead. Definately a not so great area.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-19-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: name change

Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,539 times
Yes, but I think Goobie was saying that it seems the in a few directions from RVC there's some issues. In GC you never really have to see GC. I don't know, I could be wrong. I think both are excellent. They, along with Northport were my top 3 when we looked.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM

The south shore of LI is in pretty good shape (RVC vicinity). I'd be more concerned with Hempstead and the proximity to GC. Can't compare to the towns around RVC.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,539 times
Hempstead borders the north side of RVC, doesn't it?? ALso, you have Malverne and Lakeview to the West. Baldwin, Freeport, and Roosevelt to the East. Only the Oceanside/East Rockaway border to the South is really a solid area. Seems to be that RVC not only borders the same town are GC, but a whole lot more not so nice ones. Hence, Goobie's concerns. In GC you NEVER have to see Hempstead.

This being said, LI has, I believe, the lowest crime rate of any area with over 1 million people, or something that effect. In other words, most of LI is VERY safe, and even the rough areas are MUCH BETTER than most other rough areas in America.

Last edited by GCGuy; 06-08-2007 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 AM

Actually, RVC borders on South Hempstead, which is residential and not the crime-riddled portion that is more along the Hempstead Turnpike corridor, which juts directly up against Garden City (think NCC area). Malvern and Lakeview are a sliver - to the West is more Lynbrook, which is no comparison.

I have to disagree...Hofstra U is considered Hempstead. Nassau Community College is GC. They are blocks away from each other, so you do see Hempstead from GC. The not-so-nice area of Hempstead.

Guess our vantage points from RVC vs GC are different and we'll have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island