Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,511 times

Advertisements

Looks like a CO has NOT been located for a property we are closing on next week. The house was built in 1900 and there could be an issue that the entire second floor is an addition.

1) What does this mean? Can the deal fall through? Will us, as buyers, lose money?

2) Who's at fault for not catching this sooner?

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Most, if not all, towns have 'expeditors' who's job it is to expedite the CO for homes. Usually the sellers pay this cost, as they were required to have the CO for the house in the first place. It can be a couple of grand though, and may delay your closing until it's complete. The Expeditor can give a time estimate of how long it will take in your town. Be aware though, that if there was no CO for the second story and it doesn't 'exist' as far as the town knows, once there is a CO for it, your home's value will increase in the eyes of the tax assessor and the taxes may go up.

Since the sellers are the ones with the issue, they should be the ones to take steps to fix it. You shouldn't be in a position to lose money if your contract was written well. Please clarify this with your attorney and the details of your particular contract though for your own piece of mind. My thought would be if the seller can't sell you the house, they are in breach of contract and any down payment should be returned to you.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
You didn't say where the home is located, but if it was built in 1900, it probably pre-dates town code. If this is the case, you will not be receiving a CO, but instead a "Letter in Lieu of Certificate of Occupancy" (as it is called in Huntington) or a "Certificate of Existing Use" (as it is called is Smithtown). These are easier to get then a CO as you just have to show that the house is habitable and that it was existing as it is now, before the town code went into effect, as opposed to being up to today's code).

It is absolutely the seller's responsibility to get this done.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Do not close until a CO or a letter in lieu of is obtained.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,511 times
COs in this town were required after 1942. Nassau County has a Property Card on file from 1938 showing that the floor exists - which should put me in the clear.

If the seller doesn't get a "Letter in Lieu of Certificate of Occupancy" - how much will this potentially cost me down the road if I need to obtain it when I sell?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamHoyt View Post
COs in this town were required after 1942. Nassau County has a Property Card on file from 1938 showing that the floor exists - which should put me in the clear.

If the seller doesn't get a "Letter in Lieu of Certificate of Occupancy" - how much will this potentially cost me down the road if I need to obtain it when I sell?
I would want around $20,000 in escrow until they get the letter.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM

Your lender will require an escrow, if they allow the sale to close at all.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM

37 posts, read 104,679 times
certain banks are okay with no COs. wells fargo, and actually citibank sometimes.. a private lendor. i have a good one.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofulovinvegan View Post
certain banks are okay with no COs. wells fargo, and actually citibank sometimes.. a private lendor. i have a good one.
You mean used to be OK......now....no way, no how.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofulovinvegan View Post
As we have all learned over the past few years, just because a bank will allow something does not mean that the buyer should accept it. Remember, if you buy the house with no c/o it is your problem, not the banks. I'm not saying don't do it, just procede very carefully. Make sure that if you close that there is plenty of money in escrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island