U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 PM

432 posts, read 1,505,109 times

Advertisements

Any sugestions what to look out for? Can anybody reccomend a dealer?
Does it REALLY save money?
Thanks as usual.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 PM

3,180 posts, read 9,730,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
Any sugestions what to look out for? Can anybody reccomend a dealer?
Does it REALLY save money?
Thanks as usual.
Does it really save money? No unless you spend alot of money which reduces the savings.

Check out pellet stoves.

In the end, distrubution of the heat becomes the issue as well as fire hazards from poor installs and maintainence.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 PM

37 posts, read 96,907 times
my in-laws have a pellet stove and absolutely love it. but you have to make sure to buy your pellets earlier otherwise stores run out and you'll have to pay a lot of money for them. buy them from out of state, cheaper.

wood stoves are okay too but it's gets so warm and the air gets so unbearable.

there's a pellet stove store in wantagh/levittown on n. jerusalem road near jellybean lotto. also lowe's and home depot sell them, pretty affordable.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,100,025 times
Agree with a pellet stove over a wood stove. Pellet fuel is much more efficient and clean burning (less ash and soot). Its also more convenient (40 lb bags that you can store indoors!!)

I bought a pellet stove this year...and will be picking it up int he few weeks. If you are interested...I can give you the guys info (I paid about $900 less than LI dealers in general...but will have to pick it up in Hudson NY (near Albany).

What I have learned thus far...if you buy your stove locally you will want to look for a company that is certified to install them. Your homeowners ins will probably need to see a copy of their permit.

Also...with respect to pellets, they have gone up a bit from spring. You can find them for $350-400 a ton. A typical house needs 3-4 ton a year.

What I have heard (purely hear-say) is that Lowes and HD sell cheap Chinese import stoves...and its better in the long run to buy USA!! Ok actually I admit mine was made in Canada...but you get the hint.

Let me know if you have any other questions. And check out hearth.com (pellet and corn section in the FORUMS) Tons of info there.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:49 PM

3,180 posts, read 9,730,508 times
DO NOT buy a cheap brand or model.......major fire hazard if you do. Also get a permit for it. If you don't and you have a fire, your insurance company may not pay.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:28 PM

432 posts, read 1,505,109 times
I just priced a few out, the prices we absurd. $8,000.00 for a stove????

Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,782,806 times
That's very high - even a very good stove like Jotul will run about 3-4k plus my numbers are out of date but 1500-2500 installation. You can get safe durable stoves for around 1500, maybe not the most attractive but they do the job.

I heat with wood but I am Upstate where it is cheaper and I also have plenty of wood to gather as well. Before even thinking about a wood stove make sure you can find wood. Even upstate wood is very hard to find and prices are 75 - 100 more for a full cord than last year. I checked some Island prices and 240-300 if you can get it because it is late in the season.

It does save me a load of money. I typically burn 4 cords maybe more. I chop 1 or two myself generally and buy locally 2 or 3 more cords for about 300 total. That will heat my home (2200 sq ft) until I don't need heat sometime in May. My fuel bill would be this year close to 3500 at least.

I do recommend the pellet route especially for an Islander I was one so I know. You have to be very diligent about heating with wood because it is "work". You need space to store 4 cords and that takes space unless you stack - but in a dry place is best. Burn only dry seasoned, not green wood. Not only does it make it easier but burning green wood is not good for your stove and I guess if your a tree hugger it does smoke more.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you work or stay at home all day because you need to tend the fire. It really is not that much work. I start at 6am and takes about 5 minutes and then a log a hour or so later and then one every couple hours or more. So pretty easy and the best darn heat there is.

You might want to look at it as a supplement - even a pellet stove which is lot less hassle and have long burn times once you fill the hopper.

gl

Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 PM

8,512 posts, read 19,820,488 times
I have one in my small townhouse. It was here when I got here . Now , they aren't allowed, but this was grandfathered in. I hardly ever use it. Once , when I did, I began to feel very lightheaded and dizzy and was suddenly worried about being overcome with fumes from carbon monoxide so I put the fire out and never used itthe stove again. Does anyone know if that is possible even.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,782,806 times
Well I would (wood) say that yes Carbon Monoxide is possible but only if for some reason it was leaking. That generally is a problem when a stove cracks and leaks gasses, or was not properly installed or maintained.

I think if you know what you are doing and create a consistent fire that burns then I never really worry about it but as all people should I have Carbon Monoxide detectors around the home and one near the stove.

Making a fire is an art to keep an consistent even heat. It is not that hard but like I said it is work and selection of wood and kindling is key. Knowing what your fire needs at whatever time is also key. After doing it for 10 years you learn and get better at using it as heat.

Also breathing wood smoke is worse than tobacco. But again a properly started fire should never put smoke in the house.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 10-02-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,100,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
I just priced a few out, the prices we absurd. $8,000.00 for a stove????
Juat sent you a PM...thats way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island