Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM

840 posts, read 2,445,545 times

Advertisements

the south shore should hire you for pr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,395 times
The main difference I see is the practical day to day driving. South shore has quicker access to parkways, almost anywhere you are. North shore, especially the exclusive areas near the water, you may do a lot of local driving to get to the LIE and NSP.

Last edited by gag; 04-27-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
Billy Joel said it best.
"You either date a rich girl from the north shore or a cool girl from the south shore"

As for the South Shore, the best consist of: Hewlett-Woodmere, Bellmore/Merrick, Oceanside, Lynbrook, Wantagh

Don't think Billy Joel said it well at all. Never have. I think Joel sufferes from "Shore Envy."

Early in his career he fabricated a North Shore youth. I guess "Hicksville" doesn't sound good in a song.

It's interesting to see him split hairs over what towns are "North Shore" and which are not. Saw him do this with both Syosset and Comack. The thing is south Hicksville, the "A"section that borders on Levittown, is a far cry from Syosset - or even Jericho.

He's a real shore snob. Actually, I think he has shore issues.
more common than you think. LI psychiatric sub specialty- "shore issues" There's a lot of that on LI.

I think he does live on the North Shore - or he did recently.
But he still puts it down.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Don't think Billy Joel said it well at all. Never have. I think Joel sufferes from "Shore Envy."

Early in his career he fabricated a North Shore youth. I guess "Hicksville" doesn't sound good in a song.

It's interesting to see him split hairs over what towns are "North Shore" and which are not. Saw him do this with both Syosset and Comack. The thing is south Hicksville, the "A"section that borders on Levittown, is a far cry from Syosset - or even Jericho.

more common than you think. LI psychiatric sub specialty- "shore issues" There's a lot of that on LI.

this much about Billy Joel? really?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,809 times
Quote:

How many threads are you going to find. Sounds like someone has "shore insecurity".

Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:

"From a town known as Oyster Bay, Long Island..." last I checked, Hicksville was located in the Town of Oyster Bay.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 9,158 times
What do you think about Rocky Point ? I grew up on the south shore Rockville Centre good little town. I moved to florida . (DO NOT EVER MOVE TO FLORIDA ! just good winters ) I am now moving back I am going to try the North Shore Rocky Point ? I really liked it and I found an amazing house The price was amazing .I hope it works out . I have a 6 year old and a 5 month old . your thaughts

Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times
We are moving to Ohio, but for 40 years I lived on Long Island on both the South Shore and more recently the North Shore. Our main reason for moving were the taxes. We lived in Stony Brook for 8 years and the taxes started at $13,000 and rose to $20,000. The school district-- Three Village is one of the best on Long Island. Stony Brook is a really pretty area and there is West Meadow Beach on the Long Island Sound. The price of homes range from about $350,000 to several million dollars. It is a nice area to raise a family. Another area is Port Jefferson which is the next town over and the schools are smaller, but in my opinion better. The price range is about the same as Stony Brook.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmietv View Post
What do you think about Rocky Point ? I grew up on the south shore Rockville Centre good little town. I moved to florida . (DO NOT EVER MOVE TO FLORIDA ! just good winters ) I am now moving back I am going to try the North Shore Rocky Point ? I really liked it and I found an amazing house The price was amazing .I hope it works out . I have a 6 year old and a 5 month old . your thaughts
The last two years, I had the opportunity to "explore" Rocky Point and Sound Beach via Buyer Clients.
If you don't mind the topography (hilly and rocky) and don't commute into NYC, there are definitely good values out there. I still get notices from agents when prices drop further of houses that I've shown last year! Some have become bargains indeed.
Schools are generally well regarded, including their Special Ed program.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
The last two years, I had the opportunity to "explore" Rocky Point and Sound Beach via Buyer Clients.
If you don't mind the topography (hilly and rocky) and don't commute into NYC, there are definitely good values out there. I still get notices from agents when prices drop further of houses that I've shown last year! Some have become bargains indeed.
Schools are generally well regarded, including their Special Ed program.

Good luck to you and your family!
Some spots are a little hillier than others. As far as rocky -- the entire north shore is littered with glacial erratics -- I've seen them all over.

If the buyer is commuting to western Nassau or out east, it's not a bad spot. I wouldn't want to be heading any further than Hicksville, though. I used to do RP - South Oyster Bay Rd in about 45 mins after rush hour.

With RP it is a matter of knowing where to look. Some spots in town can be a little dicey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island