Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,291 times

Advertisements

Question: What village or towns would you suggest (North vs. South Shore) to put a tiny house for my mother and one for myself with shared amenities like a pool, tennis court, and fire pit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 09:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS2120 View Post
Question: What village or towns would you suggest (North vs. South Shore) to put a tiny house for my mother and one for myself with shared amenities like a pool, tennis court, and fire pit?
Such a broad question! Long Island is almost the size of the State of Rhode Island so you really have to narrow it down.

You have to provide more details like will you be working in the city? How much money do you want to spend? And when you say "put" a house - do you mean build a new house? Or do you want to buy an existing house? If you are going to work in the city then you are really tied more to Nassau and western Suffolk.

If hopefully you are not going to be tied to the city then your options greatly expand to more of the Island. You might want a community that offers things like a pool and tennis court. There are a couple of town house and condo developments that offer those things.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Almost nowhere on long island would you be permitted to place two dwellings on the same lot. In most places tiny houses would not meet the minimum size requirements for a residence. And finally, many aspects of a tiny house will not meet the standards of the building code.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:29 AM

151 posts, read 129,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Don't think Billy Joel said it well at all. Never have. I think Joel sufferes from "Shore Envy."

Early in his career he fabricated a North Shore youth. I guess "Hicksville" doesn't sound good in a song.

It's interesting to see him split hairs over what towns are "North Shore" and which are not. Saw him do this with both Syosset and Comack. The thing is south Hicksville, the "A"section that borders on Levittown, is a far cry from Syosset - or even Jericho.

He's a real shore snob. Actually, I think he has shore issues.
more common than you think. LI psychiatric sub specialty- "shore issues" There's a lot of that on LI.

I think he does live on the North Shore - or he did recently.
But he still puts it down.
The bigger issue isn't shore envy, it's a hatred of NYC and turning into Queens.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
I suggest rural upstate NY or NJ. Not LI.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Almost nowhere on long island would you be permitted to place two dwellings on the same lot. In most places tiny houses would not meet the minimum size requirements for a residence. And finally, many aspects of a tiny house will not meet the standards of the building code.
The towns will wake up...they can tax twice on the same lot!

Old 07-19-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The towns will wake up...they can tax twice on the same lot!
Good idea, throw out all zoning regulations. You could have a house and a McDonalds on the same lot. Your next door neighbor can move his auto dismantling business to his back yard. The guy on the other side could put a steel mill in his. Maybe they'd even build an overhead rail system to move the scrap across your property to expedite the process.

The hundreds of people in the highrises across the street might get annoyed though.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:52 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Good idea, throw out all zoning regulations. You could have a house and a McDonalds on the same lot. Your next door neighbor can move his auto dismantling business to his back yard. The guy on the other side could put a steel mill in his. Maybe they'd even build an overhead rail system to move the scrap across your property to expedite the process.

The hundreds of people in the highrises across the street might get annoyed though.
You keep mentioning auto dismantling business in someones back yard. Do you live next door to someone who does that? Just curious.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
You keep mentioning auto dismantling business in someones back yard. Do you live next door to someone who does that? Just curious.
No, I don't but that's what can happen when there are no zoning laws. The same zoning laws that many here complain about as some sort of infringement on their "right" to do whatever they want regardless of the effect it has on anyone else.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:06 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
People commute to the city from the Poconos and further, you guys thinking Hicksville is a slog don’t know how good you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island