Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM

68 posts, read 183,176 times

Advertisements

eye opening for sure...

New York Teacher Salaries 2006-07
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,749 times
Default Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The public already knows, and it's easy to see because there are hundreds of people moaning about their salaries, as well as cops, daily, on local message boards,

Teachers are well paid, but what people need to remember is that a masters degree is required for this line of work..it's not like a Suffolk or Nassau Police Officer, who makes more than a teacher, has just as much time off, and retires earlier, yet only needs a high school education.

Compare what a masters degree in business or finance or engineering will get you in terms of salary, and you will realize that teaching is fairly compensated on LI. If you want to pay people less, maybe you should lessen the requirements? Do you expect someone to get a masters degree and make $35K a year in an area where rent is $1200 a month?

An excellent response!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM

347 posts, read 1,347,123 times
What folks don't seem to mention, including Newsday, is that it takes a lot of years and a lot of masters credits to get to the top salary. Everyone focuses on the "top salary" without mentioning that it is very difficult to get to that top salary. A teacher has to get many more credits in addition to the ones needed for the masters degree to move to the "right" on the salary table. And they have to pay for these credits themselves. So the top earner in a district has paid a significant amount of money investing in their own education and has put in 20-30 years as well.

What's the problem with making a decent 6-figure salary with all that time, money, and effort teachers need to put in? People are acting like teachers make 200k+ a year or something. We live on Long Island, and it takes a good salary to live here comfortably. And I, for one, believe our teachers should lead a good life, as it can be a very difficult job that does not end when the school day ends.

Regarding tenure and not "paying for performance", I understand the concerns as that is not how it is done in the corporate world, but I think that without tenure, districts strapped for cash would end up terminating many of the higher paid teachers in favor of young teachers lower on the salary scale, and that is not fair to someone who has put in 20+ good years of service to the district.

One disadvantage that teachers have is that they can't move up the salary chart with any rapid speed, as it's all based on the number of years (as opposed to the corporate world where, if you do really well, you can get very sizeable raises and bonuses). Teachers usually only get 3-4% raises. Plus, the competition for teaching jobs on Long Island is fierce, so I believe districts are getting good, qualified people who deserve a decent salary.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,044,949 times
Very well said. Most are super-dedicated and doing a job that most parents would be proud of. Remember also that teachers need a Master's degree eventually, so five years of paying for an education vs. five years of SALARY for the high school graduate who did not go to college. Takes a long time to 'catch-up' in total $ earned.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM

929 posts, read 2,060,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
As a public school teacher in Brooklyn, I have had two truant students return to school this week simply because ACS got involved. The students have already told me that they have no interest in school and are only going to come enough to keep ACS from putting them in foster care. How sad is that!? I did my level best to encourage these students to open their mind at least to the possibility of learning. When I tried to call the homes, the numbers were disconnected. This is not how all of my students are, but its not a rarity either. The fact is, there is a huge difference between public and private schools and the teachers' salaries have less to do with the success rate than the background of the students do.
You, deserve a raise and an applause. I feel for you, because teachers on Long Island will cite your situation and justify their grossly bloated salaries on account of experiences like yours.

Quote:
What's the problem with making a decent 6-figure salary with all that time, money, and effort teachers need to put in? People are acting like teachers make 200k+ a year or something. We live on Long Island, and it takes a good salary to live here comfortably. And I, for one, believe our teachers should lead a good life, as it can be a very difficult job that does not end when the school day ends.
I agree that teachers should live a comfortable life, but they shouldn't make double what the average salary for Suffolk County.

Quote:
Regarding tenure and not "paying for performance", I understand the concerns as that is not how it is done in the corporate world, but I think that without tenure, districts strapped for cash would end up terminating many of the higher paid teachers in favor of young teachers lower on the salary scale, and that is not fair to someone who has put in 20+ good years of service to the district.
I don't see why a teacher should have a safety net that no one else in a capitalistic society has? Yes, they would end up being terminated when their production compared to their salary was no longer efficient for the taxpayers. I'm sorry, but this is a harsh part of the real world. If you don't produce comparative to your salary then you get fired! Why are teachers special?

Quote:
One disadvantage that teachers have is that they can't move up the salary chart with any rapid speed, as it's all based on the number of years (as opposed to the corporate world where, if you do really well, you can get very sizeable raises and bonuses). Teachers usually only get 3-4% raises. Plus, the competition for teaching jobs on Long Island is fierce, so I believe districts are getting good, qualified people who deserve a decent salary.
That is definitely a disadvantage that hurts good teachers that are in demand. A High School Calculus teacher should not earn the same raise/salary as a 2nd grade teacher. That is where the real problem lies in the LI School District Model. The job market for a 1st grade teacher is fierce because it is an easy job and takes very little ability, which is illustrated by the throngs of 22 year olds who apply en masse to every opening for an elementary teacher. On the other hand, a HS science or math teacher are in high demand. Why should both jobs pay the same?

Last edited by NYEconomist; 03-17-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM

706 posts, read 3,754,240 times
Back in the 90's when I graduated college, they had school fairs (NassauBOCES) where they gave out thick folders with pamphlets from various schools with all types of information including salaries. The folder also included a little booklet with a very detailed list of salaries with steps and differentials for each and every public LI school.

I don't know when they stopped that but now LI salaries are so hush, hush.

All I could find were average salaries for each school for teachers and administrators.
Those aren't particularly helpful to teachers who want to know starting salaries and how they would progress at the schools.

ALSO, salaries in LI vary quite significantly. For instance in Nassau, school districts like Hempstead, Malvern, Baldwin are higher than NYC Department of Ed but not greatly. Then there are some districts which pay significantly higher. Then in districts like Manhasset, Garden City, Old Westbury there's a huge difference in salary from NYC teachers.

Believe it or not, as difficult as it is to get into the Long Island schools and as much as some of them pay, there are teachers who pass up the opportunity.

NYC Dept of Ed schools, Charter Schools, Parochial Schools, Independent Schools all have their own issues...advantages and disadvantages.

Most charter schools advertise 10% above NYC DOE scale (but for longer hours).

Parochial and Independent don't pay much at all.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM

929 posts, read 2,060,966 times
The collectively bargained contract is public knowledge. However, it's a lot more cloudy as to whether the detailed salaries of each teacher is public knowledge. If it is, you would have to get an attorney to ever get your hands on it.

I could understand why individual teachers don't want their salaries to be public knowledge. I'm a private person and wouldn't want my salary pasted around for every person looking for a handout, but I'm also not a public employee paid with taxpayer dollars.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 PM

706 posts, read 3,754,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
The job market for a 1st grade teacher is fierce because it is an easy job and takes very little ability, which is illustrated by the throngs of 22 year olds who apply en masse to every opening for an elementary teacher. On the other hand, a HS science or math teacher are in high demand. Why should both jobs pay the same?
tomonlineli,

Being responsible for 25, 30, even 35 six year-olds for six hours a day and making sure they're engaged, safe, learning, challenged, comfortable isn't so easy. Plus reaching out to parents, responding to parents.

High school teachers have different issues, but teaching elementary school isn't a piece of cake.

And why knock the 22 year olds who are committed to making a difference in a child's life?

You know what I do think though...*s*

there's something about having a grandma work with younger kids...*s*

(not to say that 22 year-olds aren't wonderful with kids, but I've seen more mature teachers --who've raised their own kids and learned so many lessons, and who bring so much life experience, wisdom, warmth, instinct dealing with very young children and patience-- make miracles with the most challenging little children.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,754,094 times
Well my sons first grade teacher was the worst ever. We are now up to 4th grade and we never forgot how horrible the first grade teacher was.

Yes, she was young, but still ; she had no mind being a teacher.

Guess what ; she lasted a year more, got pregnant, got married and left. Hopefully her son or daughter will have a better teacher.
d

Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 AM

330 posts, read 885,366 times
Default Salary scale post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
The collectively bargained contract is public knowledge. However, it's a lot more cloudy as to whether the detailed salaries of each teacher is public knowledge. If it is, you would have to get an attorney to ever get your hands on it.

I could understand why individual teachers don't want their salaries to be public knowledge. I'm a private person and wouldn't want my salary pasted around for every person looking for a handout, but I'm also not a public employee paid with taxpayer dollars.
===

Why does everyone think the details are secret and hidden. The details are public knowledge, you just have to know how to look. All you have to know is how long they have been teaching for and their level of education, assume its at least a masters, which it is if they have been there more than 3 years, and you will have a good ball park figure. Here are the numbers for every district on long island at every level.

nassau - http://www.lischooltax.com/06-7NasSal.pdf
suffolk - http://www.lischooltax.com/06-7SufSal.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island