Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:02 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times

Advertisements

Bighouse,

You dont seem to happy with NC, so i take it your currently in Raleigh?

By reading your post you make NY sound much better, but are you also moving? If so , where to?

thanks

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Tell me about it. Now another bond issue in Wake County for the school systems? What happened to the one we voted in just a short 3 months ago? I cannot tell you how many times I have said "You get what you pay for" since being down here. Someone on another thread posted about potholes in the Northeast and how they don't exist in NC. Well I have news, not only do they exist, but they are everywhere and some are real kidney punchers. The ironic thing is that if there is a pot hole in the NE, it gets fixed in a reasonable time frame. Here, it takes months if they decide ot fix it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 01:16 PM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
I can't believe people are considering moving back to NY but maybe because I am in Brooklyn which is probably a completely different world then upstate NY. Homes here go for over 400thousand with no land, no pool nothing! For the life of me I can't understand shelling out this kind of money for conviences. I mean yes my kids both roll out of bed and walk to school and my supermarket is 2 blocks from my home as well as many other shops but still it is so dirty and gross here these days. People don't clean up after their dogs you have to walk looking down the schools are going downhill thanks to the mayor and his chancellor, not sure but I think I will be happy to live in NC we are looking in Union County, Matthews/ Indian Trail. I think it will be a welcome change. JMO.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Where in Brooklyn?

What area of Brooklyn are you in?

Not all of Brooklyn is that bad is it? I was born in Victory memorial and lived in what they called midwood, Mcdonald ave & 65th i believe.

Mostly raised on Long Island though, now in Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
I can't believe people are considering moving back to NY but maybe because I am in Brooklyn which is probably a completely different world then upstate NY. Homes here go for over 400thousand with no land, no pool nothing! For the life of me I can't understand shelling out this kind of money for conviences. I mean yes my kids both roll out of bed and walk to school and my supermarket is 2 blocks from my home as well as many other shops but still it is so dirty and gross here these days. People don't clean up after their dogs you have to walk looking down the schools are going downhill thanks to the mayor and his chancellor, not sure but I think I will be happy to live in NC we are looking in Union County, Matthews/ Indian Trail. I think it will be a welcome change. JMO.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
I think a few years from now people are going to be in for a rude awakening down South. I would think prices will continue to rise, then the taxes, then the areas will need to borrow and spend on the infrastructure to support everthing...and they'll be higher taxes. Who knows, maybe it won't happen. But...I wouldn't count on it.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Default I agree

I agree but Long Island wont change either. The LI taxes are a joke. They will keep rising & rising, or will they cap it? I doubt that.Utilities will rise, wages wont keep up.

And the home prices may drop some, but that will level and pick up again.

And anyway it seems that everywhere in the US is becoming overcrowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I think a few years from now people are going to be in for a rude awakening down South. I would think prices will continue to rise, then the taxes, then the areas will need to borrow and spend on the infrastructure to support everthing...and they'll be higher taxes. Who knows, maybe it won't happen. But...I wouldn't count on it.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:25 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Agreed, the weather here in NC is simply overrated. I think we had over 30 + days in a row last summer where it hit 90 degrees. Can't let the kids outside to play in that. Not to mention the beauty of fall, winter and summer in the Northeast, you just don't get those here.
Well, then, maybe you need to move to Franklin County, VA Below is a small portion of my view of Cahas Mountain and the valley below.

http://www.pecorfamily.com/Blog_202006_2D10_2D20_20Cahas_thumb.jpg (broken link)

I grew up in Vermont, and our location in South Central / Western Virginia easily matches the pastoral beauty of fall in New England. Here, the heat is not quite so oppressive as it is in the Triad. And you can almost always count on a slight breeze to help mitigate the humidity. In Franklin County, VA, the property tax rate is only $0.53/$100 and it enjoys a more sensible growth rate of 7-8.5% allowing development to proceed intelligently. Plus, we're 20-25 minutes to Roanoke, VA a beautiful little city with a metro population of just under 300,000. And we're 15 minutes from Rocky Mount, our county seat, a picturesque small town with a thriving main street community. We have one state park, one national park and three lakes. If you've got skills marketable to the Roanoke Valley economy (finance, healthcare, I.T., construction, marketing) then you owe it to yourself to look into Franklin County, VA.

Sean

Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM

235 posts, read 729,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
What area of Brooklyn are you in?

Not all of Brooklyn is that bad is it? I was born in Victory memorial and lived in what they called midwood, Mcdonald ave & 65th i believe.

Mostly raised on Long Island though, now in Vegas.
Sheepshead bay and how funny both my kids were born in Victory and they are talking about closing it down. You would not beleive how it has changed here. The inflow of immigrants has brought down the quality of life it is disgusting!! How are you liking Vegas...we thought about moving there a long time ago but changed our minds. Last we heard you all have gang issues there. Is it true.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head

Old 02-22-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Long Island & the South

Yeah but NY isnt getting any cheaper. The Long Island taxes for example are a joke right now, and the wages arent all that high considering the cost of living on LI.

So yes down south it will be pricey, but it will be quite a while before its anywhere near as bad as LI is today.

And i can only imagine how high the propery taxes will be on LI in lets says 10 years from now.

Its to bad that so many people are practically forced to leave LI due to the cost of living and not many can retire there these days.

Originally Posted by GCGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post

Old 02-22-2007, 02:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
trust me....it will be the same exact way here in 10 years (if not sooner). People think they are "leaving the problems behind" when they move here....but in all reality, they are bringing them right on down (or up, or out, depending on where you are coming from) here with them. Only a few years ago Florida was an afforable state with low taxes and reasonable homepriced....it sure isn't now...now, everyone from Florida is moving up to NC to escape high cost of living. Guess what will be happing here in 10 years or so?......HELLO WYOMING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island