Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,923 times

Advertisements

Yes i did start a thread like this in the past, but i cant find it now.

Also yes i see another thread very similiar to this.

Heres my exact question. Is there anyone who moved to Raleigh Metro NC and is now moving back to Long Island?

My story is a long one, but we want to move back to Long Island from Nevada, but the cost of living on LI is out of control. I cant see us making it there on our salaries.

So we are considering a move to Raleigh NC, but some have told me great things about Raleigh while others said bad things.

Please give your opinion.

Thanks ---T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,923 times
Default anybody, anybody?

wow so maybe nobody came back from Raleligh?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I am coming back to Upstate NY from Raleigh...but that's different I suppose.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 AM

44 posts, read 329,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I am coming back to Upstate NY from Raleigh...but that's different I suppose.
I'minformed....Where are you moving back in upstateNY? My house in Raleigh is sold today and moving to Cambridge Ny in Washington county. I will miss the weather, low mortgage/taxes and that's all.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
We will be moving back to CT from Raleigh. Just too hectic and uncontrolled growth here in Raleigh. Getting more and more expensve here every day.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
I'minformed....Where are you moving back in upstateNY? My house in Raleigh is sold today and moving to Cambridge Ny in Washington county. I will miss the weather, low mortgage/taxes and that's all.
I'm going back to Rochester. I won't really miss the weather here. I thought I would like it better seeing as its warmer....but it's really just gone from waiting out winter (and then enjoying the amazing upstate NY summers) to waiting out summer. I like being able to go outside and be comfortable durring MOST of the summer (you get a few of those humid scorchers in Rochester every year...but nothing like down here) than being able to go outside without a jacket maybe 5 days out of the whole winter down here.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Agreed, the weather here in NC is simply overrated. I think we had over 30 + days in a row last summer where it hit 90 degrees. Can't let the kids outside to play in that. Not to mention the beauty of fall, winter and summer in the Northeast, you just don't get those here.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
I am also from the northeast and have often thought about moving back for family. I love the outdoors and really miss the summers and falls that I experienced up north. However, I wonder about the tax situation. Any idea of a link that compares tax rates (state, local, property, school) among states? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Agreed, the weather here in NC is simply overrated. I think we had over 30 + days in a row last summer where it hit 90 degrees. Can't let the kids outside to play in that. Not to mention the beauty of fall, winter and summer in the Northeast, you just don't get those here.
Amen!

To Aphorista...taxes in the south are without a doubt lower than almost anywhere in the south (with the exception of New Hampshire of course). The only thing is, in many ways....you get what you pay for. I'm not loving the idea of having to pay higher property taxes when I move back to upstate NY....but I am loving the idea of having more services and conveniences than here and having MUCH better and organized school systems. This county-wide thing they've got going on down here just isn't working.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:32 AM

Tell me about it. Now another bond issue in Wake County for the school systems? What happened to the one we voted in just a short 3 months ago? I cannot tell you how many times I have said "You get what you pay for" since being down here. Someone on another thread posted about potholes in the Northeast and how they don't exist in NC. Well I have news, not only do they exist, but they are everywhere and some are real kidney punchers. The ironic thing is that if there is a pot hole in the NE, it gets fixed in a reasonable time frame. Here, it takes months if they decide ot fix it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island