Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM

8,005 posts, read 9,214,908 times

Advertisements

Both areas have "pockets" of African American population within the area. South side of Rockville Center, and projects in Roslyn, I think around the high school. Both school distericts have good academic reputations. I don't know what the spending scandal in Roslyn has done to their budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 PM

4,464 posts, read 5,192,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I am not a resident of Rockville Centre, nor am I black, so take my advice with a grain of salt. One of my best friends lives in Rockville Centre and I have visited her and explored the town numerous times and find it to be an incredibly charming place. While the town is incredibly pricey and apparently has somewhat of an uppity reputation, I've always found the people there to be very down-to-earth and friendly. The town is only 4% black, but when I've gone there, I've seen plenty of black people out and around and seemingly at ease in the community. That's based on my own perception, and may seem like a bizarre thing to notice, but I've noticed in other towns on Long Island, there's tension so thick that you can just feel it, and from my perception, that is not the case in Rockville Centre. The black population may not be huge, but 4% is enough so that it's not a foreign sight where you'll be stared down or followed by the cops while driving home from work.

What other towns do you speak of in particular. Just curious, thanks...

Old 02-20-2007, 11:31 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,411,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
What other towns do you speak of in particular. Just curious, thanks...
Just a few that I can think of are Massapequa, Bellmore, Seaford, Wantagh and West Islip. As I said, I haven't spent an incredible amount of time in these communities (most of my time on LI has been spent in RVC) but did see/feel a certain amount of tension and hostility to outsiders while I was there, but perhaps others feel otherwise.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 31,126 times
Exclamation The Heights, Hands Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheretomoveinLI View Post
Hello everyone,

I am so happy to have found this forum. We are an African American family with two young kids and are considering moving to Long Island. We like Roslyn, Roslyn Heights and Rockville Centre...but prefer Roslyn Heights because the homes there are slightly cheaper. We don't know much about either town only that the schools are good in both and have some diversity. If you know either or both towns please give me some info, which do you think we will be best for us?

Thanks in advance!

Iwas born and still live in Roslyn Heights, over 50 years. It is a true melting pot. People of all colors and backgrounds. Roslyn is a very "your poop stinks but mine smells like roses" for the most part. Many of the kids I grew up with cried harder at their housekeepers funeral that that of their own parents. The downstairs of some of these homes were "show places" go to the kids room and its a mattress on the floor and milk crate dresser. Not the values I wanted my children to have. My highschool friends from roslyn couldn't wait to have a home cooked meal at my house, with my parents. Not their housekeeper. Roslyn Village is another example, 90% usless overpriced fru fru shops, 1 decent restaurant and a lot of overpriced restaurants. The heights offer a diverse selection of affordable merchants and good restaurants. I still remember a girl from Roslyn complaining the school locker was too small to hold her fur. YIKES!! Move to the heights you will actually have neighbors you will get to know and love. We have held an annual block party for the past 10 yrs. with each new and diferent neighbor it gets better every year. No the homes arent"showplaces" and some people still garden and mow their own lawn!! It's a friendy place to live, Black, White, Brown, Red, Yellow. All colors are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island