Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 PM

187 posts, read 863,413 times

Advertisements

Hi all, just wondering what an appropriate amount is these days for a wedding gift. The groom is a friend from work whom I've known for about a year. Wife and I are going. Standard wedding at a reception hall..

Is something like $150 a good number? is that too little?

Haven't been to a wedding in some time so just wondering what the going rates are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
My wife says $75 to $100. I used to be a caterer...and a general rule of thumb was give a gift equal to about what the reception cost per person. That may be hard to pin down a number...but if you think it's about $50 a person then it's in the ballpark. At $75...then your $150 is better.

Theres a lot of variation here...and not much of a standard.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
Hi all, just wondering what an appropriate amount is these days for a wedding gift. The groom is a friend from work whom I've known for about a year. Wife and I are going. Standard wedding at a reception hall..

Is something like $150 a good number? is that too little?

Haven't been to a wedding in some time so just wondering what the going rates are
No less than a buck a head to cover your plate...250 if you want to add a little.

LI weddings aint cheap.

crooks

Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No less than a buck a head to cover your plate...250 if you want to add a little.

LI weddings aint cheap.

crooks

That why I am getting married in the Virgin Islands. May 09

Old 10-11-2008, 07:11 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
I don't believe in "covering my plate", a gift is a gift IMO. An invitation to a wedding should not be equated as me paying my own way.
I know too many young people that choose to have their reception at a hall that's over $200 a head. The luxuriousness of their event does not mean I know them better or feel they deserve more than a closer friend or relative that decided to have a budget conscience reception. I think $200 for a couple attend a wedding of a co-worker is VERY generous. Family & close friends are different.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 AM

89 posts, read 268,583 times
I think $100 is enough to give, alot of weddings these days, its easier to just buy something from the registry list(and usually cheaper than giving money) well depending on what store they use to register, IMO (attending is a gift in itself ) lol no really give what you can afford(have a fun time at the wedding)

Old 10-11-2008, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 37,657 times
You should give what you feel comfortable with.

That said, this time of year on LI, $100-110/head just for the catering facility is probably close to the average, though there is a large range of places (and prices).

You could probably get more guidance if you give the name of the place the wedding is being held and the night of the week.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 PM

99 posts, read 730,017 times
$100 if you hardly see them or dont plan on inviting them to any of your functions.
$150-200 if you see him everyday but they understand WE ALL GOT BILLS
$200-250 close freinds that will be sharing every event for your entire life
$300- +++ ? FAMILY

Old 10-11-2008, 10:35 PM

52 posts, read 250,477 times
If someone decides to have their wedding at a more expensive catering hall or decides to add extravagant extras like a martini bar, sushi bar etc. Why should you have to pay them more. It wasn't your decision to make it so expensive so why should you give them more than the people having it in their backyard? That pay per plate rule is ridiculous and LI weddings are out of control.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
If someone decides to have their wedding at a more expensive catering hall or decides to add extravagant extras like a martini bar, sushi bar etc. Why should you have to pay them more. It wasn't your decision to make it so expensive so why should you give them more than the people having it in their backyard? That pay per plate rule is ridiculous and LI weddings are out of control.
an entire waterford crystal set should do it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island