Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 08:33 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
There are a lot of chain restaurants, but I would say the scene on LI is the best it's ever been a lot of great new places open up each year. If you look at the times, this year had the most "very good" selections ever. There are also a number of places the are owned/ran by former top NYC chefs. Forget the Hamptons, there's a lot out there. I think it has a lot of room to grow, but it is getting much better in my opinion. By the way, this wasn't to argue with you, just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Speak of the devil...from Newsday...

"Alan Kwan is the new executive chef at Tellers Chophouse, 605 Main St., Islip, 631-277-7070. Kwan, who cooked at Restaurant Gary Danko in San Francisco and Nobu Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills, incorporates his Chinese-Japanese heritage and French culinary training in a menu that maximizes seasonal ingredients. Some of his dishes include an appetizer of jumbo lump crab cakes with a sauce of spicy mango and green papaya, and an entree of sauteed black bass with chanterelle mushrooms, cabbage, peas and a thyme-onion jus."

Now this is a known chef at two great restaurants coming to a place on LI. Not bad, and it seems to be happening more and more. Good for LI.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:54 AM

101 posts, read 304,722 times
My husband and I used to live in NYC for five years before moving to LA. So we're used to big cities, fast pace of life and high housing prices. If we stay here in LA in a good school district, we can be sure of buying our first home for between $1.5- $2mil. So Long Island, despite its high property taxes isn't sounding too bad financially. We're also used to horrendous traffic, so nothing can beat LA. Though my husband is willing to work anywhere in California, job hunting is starting off slow. He's getting offers from other states (as a cancer surgeon) and we may have to consider a big move. I agree, Long Island doesn't sound as terrible as some posters made it out to seem. If we do end up there, I would make the best of it but miss California terribly.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
My husband and I used to live in NYC for five years before moving to LA. So we're used to big cities, fast pace of life and high housing prices. If we stay here in LA in a good school district, we can be sure of buying our first home for between $1.5- $2mil. So Long Island, despite its high property taxes isn't sounding too bad financially. We're also used to horrendous traffic, so nothing can beat LA. Though my husband is willing to work anywhere in California, job hunting is starting off slow. He's getting offers from other states (as a cancer surgeon) and we may have to consider a big move. I agree, Long Island doesn't sound as terrible as some posters made it out to seem. If we do end up there, I would make the best of it but miss California terribly.
Well, good luck. There are a lot of great hospitals in the NY area, as you know. By the way, traffic on LI can be bad in certain spots, but overall it is not that bad compared to many areas. The NYC area in general is not even supposed to be in the top 15 metros for traffic problems.

For $1.5-$2million you cold get a GREAT HOUSE in a top school district. You don't have to go anywhere near that.

What are you looking for exactly?

Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 AM

491 posts, read 828,830 times
Quote:
You also have the nicest summer resort area in the country...the Hamptons and North Fork.
I BET $20 THEY ARE MID-EASTERNERS
IM MOVING TO THE NORTH FORK, DONT SEND THEM HERE I HAD ENOUGH PACKI-IRANINAN CRAP, SAND&STUCCO, WIVES WITH 9 INCH NAILS, 1 MILLION SQ FOOT SYNAGOGUES IN MANHASSET.
This is no doubt the foreign doctor "Mid Eastern" group I was referring to, they move to Long Island to put there kids in a good public school (with my tax $$) Blow there houses out, demand ESL teachers, screw up the neighborhood then sell to another of there group on graduation day.

If they could handle living in LA they are no doubt liberal ethnic foreigners (I lived in LA and Newport Beach Ca.) who would be much more happy in Great Neck, the hospital is right there. Plenty of ethnic worship joints, shopping, train to the city.
In Great Neck they can buy a 700K house and build 2.5 Million dollar stucco box on top (thats what these foreign doctors do before moving onto the next place) just pay the $$ and nobody will care.
I wouldnt recomend the North Fork, Mattituck or Nassau Point, cant do that to easy there + the natives (who I get along with fine are not as liberal as I wont get along with them. OIL AND VINIGAR

Last edited by Joe L; 02-27-2007 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-27-2007, 11:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Now this is a known chef at two great restaurants coming to a place on LI. Not bad, and it seems to be happening more and more. Good for LI.

Actually it has been going on for a long time. Check out Zagat's for the island. Sure, if you are right off the highway or a main shopping drag you find chains. Suburban families are suburban families, they "fit the bill" But the Island has had true cuisine for ages, and, not just in the Hamptons. Sad to say but NYC folks often were the ones to sneer at the island, saying it was a wastland one drove through to reach the Hamptons, but, they were wrong.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
...They wouldnt like The North Fork, Mattituck or Nassau Point, cant do that to easy there + the natives are generations of family people Italian's and Polish who dont like Jews, foreigners and especially any form of new money.

C'mon, Joe, please, there are tons of Jewish people on Long Island, have been for generations, they are good people in every sense of the word, they are as much a part of this place as any Italian or Polish or Irish or English or Jamaican person - this is what makes NY... NY.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I BET $20 THEY ARE MID-EASTERNERS
By "they", are you referring to Saimamom?

If so, why not address her directly instead of in the third person as if in your opinion she's not worth "speaking" to? I think you may have hit a new low in your usual diatribes against people from certain parts of the world.

Saimamom, regardless of what JoeL said or meant in his post, let me assure you that the majority of people on LI are not as intolerant or vitriolic as he is. I think the main thing you would miss about California, if you do move here, is that we do have an actual winter season though not nearly as bad as, say central and northern Connecticut. This winter, by the way, has been a walk in the park: Only two real cold snaps (temps in the teens) and neither lasted more than a couple of weeks. Also, only two snowfalls (the second was just Sunday night) and in both cases it was no more than a couple of inches on the South Shore and perhaps 3-4" at most on the North Shore. Both times the temps were in the high 30s-low 40s right afterwards, so within a few days almost all of it's gone. I'm not saying that all or most winters are this mild, but on the whole a LI winter is usually quite manageable.

By the way, GCGuy is correct: For a $1-2MIL budget you will find some very nice homes here on LI. Even waterfront if you're so inclined, especially in the South Shore communities in Western Suffolk.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 AM

491 posts, read 828,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
C'mon, Joe, please, there are tons of Jewish people on Long Island, have been for generations, they are good people in every sense of the word, they are as much a part of this place as any Italian or Polish or Irish or English or Jamaican person - this is what makes NY... NY.
Reading between the lines I beleive saimamom is one of Mid-Eastern group's who "cut and run" across the country working the Hospitals.
....Lived 5+ places in 10 years already
Am I correct Saimamom ?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:13 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Hear, hear.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
Hey whoever wrote about the buyers wanting to pay 200,000 for a house this is so true, it's now a buyers market and they are waiting for people to lower there prices again and again, I am going to try and sell my house fsbo, and i know I am going to encounter all of this nonsense, the thing is I want to sell my house because of my son's asthma, but it is not a financial reason to sell my house, he gets asthma when the cold weather kicks in, it is manageable but I would like to go where there is not the abrupt change for him. Anyhow it cracks me up how buyers have offered 200,000 on a house that is appraised at 450,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island