Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:16 PM

63 posts, read 217,793 times

Advertisements

There are many reasons, I'll just name the few that come to mind...

Way too expensive.
Public Transportation is slow and expensive.
Taxes are high and never stop rising.
School taxes are high and never stop rising due to corrupt school officials.
People are rude and unfriendly in general.

People here drive like animals, and don't follow basic traffic rules or have the common courtesy to get out of the left lane if they are going to drive slow.
Even the old people drive like animals.. today I was driving to school (stony brook university) and some old man almost ran me off the road on purpose, because he preferred that I go behind him where traffic merged, when I was in front of him already. Everyone has that selfish ny mentality. They rather hold up traffic than have some common courtesy and move out of the way, and all they care about is themselves. I remember the first time I drove out of state, I was in the left lane and people would flash their headlights because they wanted to pass, but then I realized, all American people are not scum like new yorkers are, and when I wanted to drive fast, people moved out of the left lane automatically for me as it should be. Had I never left ny, I probably wouldn't have even know that this was normal, since I had never ever seen it done on long island.

Everyday up and down nicholls rd is like a death sentence, I am just hoping my day doesn't come before I move out of this hellhole, because the way people drive here you are lucky to make it home alive.

It's ridiculously overcrowded, you can't go anywhere between the hours of 4 to 6pm unless you don't mind sitting in traffic for a good 40 minutes. Forget public events or going to the mall during holidays etc..

This place is absolutely dead there is nothing to do, no culture, no sense of community, ever. The only good thing about long island is the summer, if you like the beach that is, that is the only time it's great. NYC is close, but it's hell getting there and back, a train ride that should take 20 minutes takes 2 hours and 20 minutes, and costs about $25. Driving is also a hassle.

The movie theaters on a Friday night are where all these wannabe thug rapper teenagers go to look for trouble. I recently got into a fight against 12 little thugs, because I was the only one in the theater who had the balls to put these kids in their place.

Now, what really tops it all off and makes it unbearable, the cost of living!
To make it on long island, you have to either come from a rich family, or live at home until you're about 30 years old or you can bust your ass all week to live in someone's basement apartment. Home prices are out of control.. it's just absolutely ridiculous.

And the cherry on top, Stony Brook University in this year's princeton review got rated #3 as most depressing (right below military and technical schools) and #4 as least happy students (once again, right below military and technical schools). If that isn't a reflection of long island I don't know what is.

There is something they have labeled the "brain drain" going on. Due to the cost of living here, about 20,000 college graduates move out of state every year. I will gladly be leaving when I graduate this year, I will only miss my family and the beaches, other than that I wish I was raised in some other area of America.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:03 PM

100 posts, read 627,005 times
[sigh] uh...move to North Carolina

Old 02-13-2007, 04:15 PM

265 posts, read 1,544,947 times
Good grief, it's Dedalus Junior......

Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM

5,463 posts, read 7,037,100 times
And your a real estate agent too? Just what do you tell your clients who are thinking of buying a home here on Long Island?

Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 PM

265 posts, read 1,544,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
And your a real estate agent too? Just what do you tell your clients who are thinking of buying a home here on Long Island?
LOL, I just questioned that very thing on the "Home Prices" poll-thread!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,533,759 times
Sounds more like you need to change therapists rather than location.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmos View Post
[sigh] uh...move to North Carolina
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,676,782 times
Great, maybe you could construct some sort of flying machine that is fueled by tears since you're whining so much. Then you could get away form Long Island much faster.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM

282 posts, read 1,260,835 times
Stony Brook is in the SUNY system, isn't it? If it sucks that bad down there, can't you just transfer to another SUNY school?

Last edited by Lauri_25ny; 02-13-2007 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: I can't type!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 87,974 times
wow..you really do think LI SUCKS...the sooner you get out of here the better off you will be and so will everyone else around you, you sound miserable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island