Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:41 PM
M+M M+M started this thread

2 posts, read 10,933 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

New to the forum, in desperate need of advice since I do not know anybody in LI/NY. I will be soon relocating to LI for a position with NS-LIJ. I am a young, professional, single guy looking for a living experience that is as "urban" as possible.

I would love to live close to NS-LIJ (i.e. Northern Boulevard area), so that the daily commute is minimal. I am looking to live in a contemporary/new-ish apartment in a high-rise/doorman building, that is within walking distance to a grocery store, shops, gym, LIRR (for easy access to NYC), etc. -- basically I am looking for a city/"compact community" feel (I know, I know it ain't going to be Manhattan).

What communities should I be looking at? I heard Great Neck Plaza is nice ... anybody have any experience with it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, since I do not have much familiarity with the area and I need to start my search somewhere.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:44 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
BINGO - you nailed it. I really can't think of anything else urban-like in the area which would be as close.

Be prepared for close to Manhattan prices, though.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,382 times
Kew Gardens or Forest Hills. Both also have access to the subway.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I live in Astoria in western Queens. It's a short subway ride to Manhattan and still decently priced. It's the type of neighborhood you're looking for, but it might be just a little hard to get to your job unless you have a car. A bus/subway wouldn't be too easy.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
If you really want high-rise, I agree, Forest Hills--but it wouldn't be as close a commute as you'd like.

Great Neck (postal definition, Walter!) north of 25A has lots of apartments but all low-rise. Walking distance to a lot of stuff, though. The only real high-rises on Long Island (ETA: oops, forgot Long Beach! sorry monack!) are North Shore Towers, which does have some services on site and is right by LIJ, but no train service in walking distance and not really urban. And $$$. There are also some fancy high-rises in Bayside, but again, not as close.

Last edited by AlexisT; 10-11-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,917 times
Long Beach probably had the kind of lifestyle that you're looking for, but it's -really- far from LIJ...

Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 AM
M+M M+M started this thread

2 posts, read 10,933 times
Default Re:

Thank you, guys and gals for the prompt replies! I will ask a few more questions, if anybody has something else to add.

RAISER -- I saw some pictures of high-rise buildings in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, but I understand that the commute is not that short ... do you have any idea of the distance/time involved?
My ideal commute would be only a couple of miles (10-12 min in LI traffic, which I hear is bad to begin with).

RACHAEL 84 -- Astoria is also nice, but I think that it may even be farther away than Forrest Hills and Kew Gardens. Is this correct?

As far as AlexisT and ocngypz, you both suggested Great Neck -- is the whole "area" of Great Neck developed in an urban fashion (pedestrian friendly, with stores, restaurants, gyms, NIGHT-LIFE?, etc.) or it's only the Village and/or Plaza (are they the same thing?) with these characteristics?

I heard that Great Neck is expensive. But are there newer apartment buildings in Great Neck? I am looking for a new(ish) building -- would rather have that instead of an old high-rise, of which there are quite a few, I hear.

Does Manhasset have any "urban" areas or is it mostly suburban? I know that Aamericana Manhasset is there, which is nice and pedestrian friendly, but I do not know what else is going on.

Many thanks, again, for your help

Michael

Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,382 times
In traffic its going to take about 20 minutes or so from Forest Hills. It pretty much has everything else you listed especially if your near Continental. On Austin Street there are restaurants, a New York Sports Club and Shopping Strip. The LIRR stop gets you into the city in 8 minutes. It has more of a city feel that any of the other places listed above.

If you want some sort of nightlife and don't want a long commute look into Bayside Queens. I doubt there are any high rises there but they do have co-op apartment buildings. Great Neck does have a nice community feel to it and you can walk around town. I know there are some nice resteraunts but not sure about bars or anything like that.

Both Great Neck and Bayside are on the Port Washington Branch of the LIRR and is considered the better line since you skip Jamaica to get into the city.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
There are several high rises in Bayside--in fact you can see some of them from the Cross Island. Waters Edge and Bay Club come to mind. Both are co-ops, IIRC, but there are usually places to rent in them.

The section of Great Neck we're talking about covers a few villages--Great Neck Plaza and I think part of the village of Great Neck proper. Possibly a bit of Thomaston (there's a "Village of Thomaston" sign nestled between some of the buildings, anyway!) All of it is postally Great Neck, mostly 11021. If you turn off Northern Boulevard (make a left coming from Queens) and drive up Middle Neck Road, you'll see the area we're talking about. There are a couple of newer buildings; the bulk are your standard NYC-area brick low rise.

(If we're going to get technical about it, though it's not quite as important for a renter, "Great Neck" is actually 9 villages and 4 hamlets. Search Walter Greenspan's posts for the list and a link to maps. As far as the USPS is concerned, all but Kings Point are Great Neck.)

I'd say Manhasset is much more traditionally suburban in feel.

We've been keeping an eye on apartments in this area as well, though we're not ready to rent yet, and Great Neck seems more expensive than Bayside--but without actually seeing the places, I can't confirm that this isn't due to differences in quality. Parking in Great Neck can be an issue; always ask the agent about it, and be clear about whether promises of spaces actually mean a space, or just getting put on a list.

Last edited by AlexisT; 10-12-2008 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 AM

189 posts, read 632,756 times
I currently live in Long Beach now and would love to recommend it, but it's a bit of a commute to LIJ.

I also lived in Bayside near Bell Blvd and I used to also live in Douglaston near Douglaston Parkway.

There are a bunch of cute apartment buildings in Douglaston with a LIRR down the street and it's off Northern Blvd, otherwise I would sugest bayside near Bell Blvd and Northern Parkway over Great neck.

Great Neck, while it is a cute area with lots of stores - it's a very snobby area. I know people here might give me a little crap for saying that, but it's true. If you are down to earth and aren't into high society, I would look elsewhere. If that is your thing, then Great Neck might be perfet for you.

I throughly looked at bayside, Douglaston and Great Neck and felt that Great Neck was one of those areas that I could never be comfortable in. That's just me... I am sure some will agree and some will disagree, but I just ask you to really look at the area before you settle there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island