Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,351 times

Advertisements

I would avoid Housemasters. They spend much effort touting their "limited" guarantee. This is their main selling point. After using them and reading the fine print, I discovered that the limited guarantee was so limited that it may as well not exist. Their inspection, like many others, rates every item on the house as Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, or NA. The limited guarantee covers a few major items and only if they are rated by the inspector as Satisfactory. When our inspection came back, all of the items covered by the limited guarantee were rated as fair. According to our Housemaster inspection, almost nothing in the house was Satisfactory. Therefore, we had no guarantee on any item that was inspected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
We used KB from this board a few months ago-very thorough inspection.
I recommend Rich all the time. Very thorough, fair, and honest.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,366 times
I would recomend Carlos Roldan of Gadget Inspection Co. My family has used him in purchasing two of our homes. He is extremely thorough in his inspection and reporting and uses instruments in his inspection that other inspectors do not. This is a link to their Better Business Bureau rating Gadget Inspection Co. Review - HOME INSPECTION SERVICE in Mineola, NY - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island, and the Mid-Hudson Region

Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 PM

91 posts, read 201,057 times
We used Rich for an inspection last week and he was great - very friendly, informative and thorough.

Earlier in the year we used Criterium-Tauscher Chronacher and we were very disappointed. The inspector never said a word to us (even though he was working for us, not the seller), flew through the house in 25 minutes and was exceptionally vague in his report (which we received three days later). Everything in the report said "may or may not be...." which really doesn't help when making a gigantic purchase.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
just to throw another option out there, we used this guy 2 years ago and he was very thorough:
Blaise Ingrisano, A-Pro Professional Home Inspector in Nesconset - Home

He was accompanied by a termite inspector as well for no "extra charge".

Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM

195 posts, read 310,545 times
Blaise at a-pro did a good job a few weeks ago for us..very knowledgable.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house2008 View Post
I am looking for a good house inspector. does anyone have any recommendations?

my realtor has one inspector, but my friend has warned me not to go with the realtor's inspector as he says the house will pass with flying colors and to find one on my own so if there are any flaws i will know.

whereas the realtor says to only find someone who is good enough as there are many bad house inspectors who don't do their job properly.

the only problem i noticed during the viewing was some mold outside the bathroom door. i am attaching a picture of that. please let me know what you think.
I would suspect this is the wall where the supply pipes are. Is that correct? I say this because the bubbled paint/drywall further up the wall would most likely occur if there's a leak in the supply lines. Also, it would be very difficult for shower spray to make it around the corner. Given that water seeks the lowest point don't be surprised to find the drywall (both sides), studs, stud bay sill plate, and floor to be severely water damaged; possibly rotting; definitely molded.

I wouldn't ask the seller to repair because you won't know if it were repaired or cosmetically covered. Just the fact that it wasn't cosmetically covered before being put up for sale indicates any requested repair won't be done in a good workmanship-like manner.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM

15 posts, read 52,773 times
You can always find an inspector through the American Society of Home Inspectors (American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI) which is a professional organization. I found an excellent inspector who seem very qualified and thorough from the website:

John Weiburg P.E., ACI from Greenlink Home Inspections - (516) 603-5770

Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,803 times
Rodanhomeinspections.com did mine and WOW when I say comprehensive... He left no stone unturned and was very honest about the property. He is fully licensed and certified, came within hours on a Sunday afternoon (!) when I called him. Steve will do any inspection I ever need in the future as well. 631.650.5600

He's very down to earth which makes it all the more bearable. He answered all my questions and then some, which I needed and appreciated greatly as a first time home buyer.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 AM

126 posts, read 222,069 times
I liked Pete Wilson, 631-758-4173. He was very thorough, including climbing on the roof to inspect the shingles and flashing, which not all of them will do. He uncovered structural issues and recommeded we get a structural engineer to look at them. This led us to Tausher/Cronacher, which I see that others have recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island