Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

Our neighbour did the very same to me. He saw two guys moving furniture into my basement, went straight to the town and two days later the tow showed up.

What they found was ; I had been moving my own furniture from my office into my home. Yes, we did have a stove and sink as the previous owners had their parents living down there. They had converted it without getting a co. So the town came, inspected it and made me bring it to code ; I didnt even build the place. We needed to put a 1 hour fire door infront of the burner ; cost $800 special order plus $250 to get it put in, needed to take out the stove, sink and put in a CO2 detector.

I am waiting for the town to make its final inspection. But it has been over a year now since this began.

If only our neighbour had taken the time to talk to me, i would have told him what I was doing ; I was moving my own furniture from the office to my basement!!!

I wont even salute him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 AM

116 posts, read 630,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

If only our neighbour had taken the time to talk to me, i would have told him what I was doing ; I was moving my own furniture from the office to my basement!!!

I wont even salute him.

How did you know who it was?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I put two and two together, he was the only person who was around and who was watching my driveway while the guys were bringing the furniture in.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Keep in mind that the town cannot enter your premises without permission. You can always deny them entry if you choose.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:45 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
its ironic that someone called the town on someone who isn't violating, when it seems that there are violators everywhere.

dealing with them could be a pain, but I would guess if there is nothing wrong then it would be a quick in and out.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Keep in mind that the town cannot enter your premises without permission. You can always deny them entry if you choose.
Is that so? Hmmm. Interesting. Maybe this is the tactic to take. Why should you have to prove your innocence. Let the complaintant find proof that you are renting (which there won't be since you're not.) Why should you be put out and have a stranger in your house looking at your stuff. Especially if it's just you and your husband is not there.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:23 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid924 View Post
That's just horrible that neighbors did that to you.
No its not.

Its an unfair burden on the rest of the community when someone has an illegal apartment.

I'm glad theyre cracking down.

crooks

Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 PM

116 posts, read 630,261 times
Well, in this case she doesn't have an illegal apartment, but prying neighbors. And the town wouldn't have been cracking down, if someone didn't complain. Its very hard for me to believe that everyone in Long Island has a house up to code.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM

99 posts, read 730,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedmomwestislip View Post
Hi,

I wonder if it was about her, We don't have parties, I'm always home with children, keep the front clean, I don't know why someone would done this,
Lots of jealous people out there...as far as the sink just tell them its a slop sink, might have you get a plumbing permit but no biggie.....but without ruffling feathers, be polite and tell them there is no apartment and you wont let them in..

Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
If only the town spent more time cracking down on obvious flophouses, a visit to the Farmingville area shows very little progress in cleaning up the problem.
But of course it's more PC to pick on citizens than a house with 20 guys in it who do the lawns for the rich ppl, many of whom are probably connected with the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island