Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
[To no one in particular]What does your deed say?

My deed describes the western bounds of my acreage as extending to the centerline of highway. The county maintains the road and the 10' of grass outside of fence. Hey, they have to do something to justify the $278 a year I pay in property taxes! The road and grass in front of the fence are shown as an easement. So I own it...but they can use it. Probably the same way on Lawn Guyland.
You're screwed if your neighbor's cow gets out and is wandering in the road (your property) in front of your house and somebody runs into it and gets killed. The dead guy's family will sue you for maintaining an unsafe condition and the cow owner will get you too! I wouldn't even want to think of the liability you assume when you don't plow your half of the roadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 719 times
If it's an easement it belongs to the property owner. If it's deeded to the city then the city owns it. You can get that information from public records.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
It belongs to dog owners.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Good to see this thread still getting some action!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Good to see this thread still getting some action!
Unlike a lot of the married folks.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When you take your dog out for a walk you are not in charge of where they feel the call.....you can make sure they are not on someones lawn..and of course you carry a doggie bag..that is only right...but on a strip of grass along the street....IMHO, she is out of line. My little westie stops and squats almost every 10 feet, no matter how long she walks.....I don't even t hink she can squeeze out any more drops....but she tries.....it is her nature. People need to get over themselves and their desire to control the world.

I do have a pet peeve about other peoples cats coming into my yard to do their business.....but I know their is nothing I can do about it ...but if the lady wants to control and maintain that strip....she can get some neutralizing product and "maintain" it.
Just take your dog to another patch. Is it really so awful just to be NICE? The lady has to maintain that patch so she has some investment in keeping it nice. Just be kind and let the pooch pee elsewhere. This doesn't have to be a dang power struggle. Even if she doesn't legally own that patch, she still has to maintain and look at it all the time. It would be neighborly of you to simply say ok, no problem. People need to be more understanding.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Sidewalks are public domain. And the grass in between is public domain. That's why the snow trucks dump piles of snow there. Its the same as getting pissed off because somebody parks their car in front of your property.
My neighbors were always parking in front of my house because we had a gorgeous huge maple tree that gave wonderful shade. Even though I didn't own the street I did feel a little annoyed with it. I get the whole "territorial" thing. I just didn't attack anyone or tell them to move their car because I had no right to. But it felt weird somehow because they lived right across the street and had space right in front of their house LOL.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 AM

1,186 posts, read 101,960 times
your problem is I guess she must own the tree she doesnt want your dog lifting his leg by.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Unlike a lot of the married folks.
So that's who's keeping this thread alive. Sexually frustrated married folks.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:15 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Origination date October 2008 and this is still an issue....impressive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island