Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM

187 posts, read 863,358 times

Advertisements

Look, bottom line is that some people like dogs and some don't. this woman would prefer that your dog doesn't go to the bathroom on what basically amounts to her front yard (regardless of who the actual "owner" is of this little strip of land).

I think the mature thing to do would be to respect her wishes and keep the dog away from her curb. Your dog can pee anywhere. She can't move the grass out of the way so your dog can do it's business..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
So you would like the grass being killed in your front yard? Or the smell of dog p*ss on a nice hot summer day when its not even your pet? I wouldnt. People spend alot of money to keep their yards looking like golf turf. And I see their point of keeping the dogs away. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am so glad that I moved to the country! I take back my comments above.....it doesnt apply to me any longer. I wish you all well; living lives that center on controlling your neighbors and their pets. It sounds pretty shallow and empty to me.....but everyone to their own taste said the old maid as she kissed the cow.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
I believe in the Town of Hempstead (and possibly elsewhere on LI) the homeowner is responsible for not only maintaining that strip of grass but also the sidewalk in front of their home. So yes, it is technically her "property" (though it is also a Right of Way) but jeez...this is one of those stupid things I hate about Long Island. I would never give two you-know-whats if a dog was taking a whizz all over that strip of grass. This isn't as bad as people complaining about where their neighbors park or don't park, but it's up there. If that's all you've got to worry about in life, pat yourself on the back because you're doing a lot better than I am.

I would just accept that your neighbor is a putz and have your dog pee elsewhere. Maybe there's some unofficial designated doggie dumping grounds in your neighborhood. In mine, everybody let their dog make a pit stop at the patch of land next to a drainage sump that was never used for anything else. I think most neighborhoods have one.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:08 PM

62 posts, read 255,233 times
That's a good idea!

Can we put broken glass in the grass to deter the dogwalkers from guiding their dog(s) onto our property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Have you tried putting ground red pepper on the area the dog likes to pee? One sniff and the dog will want to go elsewhere.

Only problem is that it needs to be reapplied frequently.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I believe in the Town of Hempstead (and possibly elsewhere on LI) the homeowner is responsible for not only maintaining that strip of grass but also the sidewalk in front of their home. So yes, it is technically her "property" (though it is also a Right of Way) but jeez...this is one of those stupid things I hate about Long Island. I would never give two you-know-whats if a dog was taking a whizz all over that strip of grass. This isn't as bad as people complaining about where their neighbors park or don't park, but it's up there. If that's all you've got to worry about in life, pat yourself on the back because you're doing a lot better than I am.

I would just accept that your neighbor is a putz and have your dog pee elsewhere. Maybe there's some unofficial designated doggie dumping grounds in your neighborhood. In mine, everybody let their dog make a pit stop at the patch of land next to a drainage sump that was never used for anything else. I think most neighborhoods have one.
I started to LOL readiing this thread as I was thinking the very same thing you've written -- this is a stupid LI thing that people from elsewhere would give as proof to show we are all crazy.

Growing up in Nassau, there seemed to be a lot of sumps, and we were always warned NEVER GO IN THE SUMP! We heard stories of kids drowning while they were trying to catch frogs, broken glass, rusty nails and *GULP* needing tetnus shots. Let's not forget the inevitable dog poop which we would step in and track home.

One thing everyone was in agreement on is dogs use the spit of land by the sump for doing their doggie deeds.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house.searcher View Post
That's a good idea!

Can we put broken glass in the grass to deter the dogwalkers from guiding their dog(s) onto our property?
EEK!

How about shooting poison darts at the inconsiderate owner instead? You don't want to hurt the poor, innocent dog (who might step on the glass) and risk angering PETA!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
EEK!

How about shooting poison darts at the inconsiderate owner instead? You don't want to hurt the poor, innocent dog (who might step on the glass) and risk angering PETA!
a couple of airsoft BBs applied to the backside of the irresponsible owner

Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house.searcher View Post
That's a good idea!

Imagine if children gets hurt and people sue the homeowner for millions in damages.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Yeah, she takes care of that little patch of grass. Yeah, she doesn't want your dog to pee there. Don't let your dog pee there.

And yeah, make sure she keeps snow and ice off the sidewalk in the winter and doesn't EVER fall behind, otherwise you could slip and fall on that ice. It IS here sidewalk, RIGHT?

Some people have nothing else to do, but complain.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
a couple of airsoft BBs applied to the backside of the irresponsible owner

Then, the homeowner gets arrested for discharging a BB gun, smart. Then, the homeowner get's sued by the dog owner. Good idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island