Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,767,176 times

Advertisements

I am all for Catholic school.My kids go there and the teachers are great, discipline is there, RESPECT is there ; both from the teachers and the children. And the kids learn. they are more focused on learning and knwo what is expected of them.

Dont kids go to school to learn anymore.
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 AM

989 posts, read 1,871,680 times
I think teacher certifications for public schools are overrated and overinflated. The amount of hoops one much jump through to get certified is amazing. I have a teacher's certification for public school although I pursued a different line of work. You will never convince me that it's necessary to have a graduate degree to be an elementary school teacher.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM

60 posts, read 58,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
When nuns were teaching in the Catholic schools, the level of education, discipline, and respect was much better. Now? I wouldn't send my child to Catholic school if they paid me! It's just not there anymore.
Moderator cut: comment

I say to anyone who is interested in sending their kids to catholic school, talk to parents whose children already attend. Ask them what their take on the education is. People who don't send their children to catholic school who tinkered with the idea tend to have rationalized themselves out of sending their children to the point where they are emotional and think sending your child to catholic school is analogous to torturing them. It's the hidden guilt/shame they have for realizing they decided against or couldn't afford to give their children the best education.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-26-2009 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: keep it about the topic/not the poster

Old 04-25-2009, 04:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,440,394 times
Moderator cut: comment

I sent my child to Catholic school for several years. Last year, I decided I was pulling her out regardless. The cost was ridiculous in relation to the level of education they were giving. Not to mention the lack of credentialed teachers.

Her K class started out with 25 kids... by the 4th grade, there were 18 left. The class now only has 16 kids. Why? Becuase the parents are realizing that the cost doesn't justify what they're getting. Even with 16 kids in the class, they're not getting individualized attention or extra help or anything else.

I'm still in touch with a few of the families from there and there are even more who are considering pulling their kids out of Catholic School before Middle School simply due to the lack of a well-rounded education.

The bottom line is, Catholic school is nothing like it used to be... not even close. It used to be the Catholic school kids were at least 2 grades ahead of their public school counterparts. Not anymore. I've compared the work my friends' kid does with my kid's work and it's unreal. The work they're doing in Catholic School is almost identical to the work they were doing last year with only a tiny bit added on.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-26-2009 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: report rude post/do NOT respond

Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,300,252 times
This is why few people want to move into Westbury village, east of Ellison ave, because of the Westbury school district. Most folks will move West of Ellison because the SD is better (Carle Place), and you can tell because there's no flophouses and the homes are much better kept west of Ellison.
I unfortunately live east of Ellison so I have to deal with this.
The money spent on private school could go to another home in a better school district, IMO. I also dont believe Catholic Schools are always better, just look at St.Brigid in Westbury!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,440,394 times
The thing is, Catholic schools always had a reputation of providing a better eduation, instilling discipline and respect (which should be taught at home). This reputation came from having nuns teach the children.

Unfortunately, Catholic schools still depend on that past reputation but don't deliver on it. There is a reason why Catholic school enrollement is down and it's not because of the cost. If the Catholic schools were providing such a great education, parents would be doing whatever they have to do to raise the money to pay for it. People are coming to the realization that Catholic schools are no better or different than public schools (except, of course, the uniforms).

Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 PM

659 posts, read 2,509,671 times
Quote:
The thing is, Catholic schools always had a reputation of providing a better eduation, instilling discipline and respect (which should be taught at home). This reputation came from having nuns teach the children.

Unfortunately, Catholic schools still depend on that past reputation but don't deliver on it. There is a reason why Catholic school enrollement is down and it's not because of the cost. If the Catholic schools were providing such a great education, parents would be doing whatever they have to do to raise the money to pay for it. People are coming to the realization that Catholic schools are no better or different than public schools (except, of course, the uniforms).
I don't believe that. I went to Catholic school in the late 80's-late 90's and I had 2 teachers that were nuns. Nuns have been out of Catholic education for many many years. Also, many Catholic schools have large waiting lists and enormous amounts of students wanting to attend. It does, however, depend on the school. Not all catholic schools are equal. Like public schools, some are just better than other.

I don't believe you can lump all Catholic schools together. As a parent, you need to research each one and not judge all schools by one local catholic school. I feel it is a little ignorant to lump them all together when many are booming (and others are closing).

In my early Catholic education, my parents pulled me out of one Catholic school and sent me to another. The second school was wonderful and changed my life for the better. The first one wound up closing 5 years later. Again, not all are created equal.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:56 PM

60 posts, read 58,114 times
Quote:

Nuns have been few and far in between for the last 20 years.

Catholic grade school enrollment is down, but catholic high school enrollment is higher than ever.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 AM

2,807 posts, read 6,408,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
religons are a scam. if you have the cash, any catholic school will enroll your child.
Man, your post was so insightful. You must be an anthropologist or something.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:48 AM

72,837 posts, read 62,229,798 times
Quote:
When nuns were teaching in the Catholic schools, the level of education, discipline, and respect was much better. Now? I wouldn't send my child to Catholic school if they paid me! It's just not there anymore.
The respect level in school in general have gone down. Children openly question authority nowadays. The respect factor is gone now because people are starting to question the norms of society and the people who create the norm. Many children will respect who they trust. If a child doesn't trust you, that child will respect you even less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island