Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post

As for publication, they only publish to the parishoners because they subsidize the school. They wouldn't lie as it is too easy to find out scores. Why should they publish to people who don't give them a cent...seperation of church and state.
No, the parishoners couldn't find out unless they are published. They can't call the NYSED and request the test scores. The only way of finding out is if they are published in the newspaper (and I wouldn't rely on what's published in a church bulletin or parish newsletter as being 100% accurate)

Oh, and "separation of church and state" has absolutely NOTHING to do with schools. With your wonderful catholic school education, I'm surprised you don't know that "separation of church and state" simply meants the government cannot force you to practice any particular religion and you are free to practice the religion of your choice.

Quote:
Catholic school enrollment is not down and many schools have waiting lists
I think you better do a bit more research on this one.

Quote:
I also have friends who teach in public school who are worried about losing their jobs.
One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Some public school teachers, staff, and administrators **may** be losing their jobs due to budget problems.

Quote:
None of my Catholic school teacher friends are worried because of the booming enrollment.
More Kool Aid, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
No, the parishoners couldn't find out unless they are published. They can't call the NYSED and request the test scores. The only way of finding out is if they are published in the newspaper (and I wouldn't rely on what's published in a church bulletin or parish newsletter as being 100% accurate)

Oh, and "separation of church and state" has absolutely NOTHING to do with schools. With your wonderful catholic school education, I'm surprised you don't know that "separation of church and state" simply meants the government cannot force you to practice any particular religion and you are free to practice the religion of your choice.

I think you better do a bit more research on this one.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Some public school teachers, staff, and administrators **may** be losing their jobs due to budget problems.

More Kool Aid, anyone?

Seperation of church and state is why catholic schools get minimal funding from the state and must rely almost soley on the parish and tuition to pay teachers. That's why they don't post scores either. Neither do yeshivas, lutheran schools, friends academy.....they must all be bad too and hiding their scores?? Please. Perhaps you need to research this seperation of church and state a bit more...clearly you are missing the crux to all of your arguments...and sound a bit ignorant. It has so much to do with private schools as a whole. I would start your research their before you post misinformation again.

It seems like you really want to argue. You have posted no facts except for your one "bad" school which you still haven't named. You clearly have no rebuttal except "kool aide"???

I will no longer be posting in this thread because it has become soo dumbed down and insulting. you obviously don't want an intellegent discussion, you just want to bash Catholic schools.

I have no personal gain in this dicsussion as a public school teacher. just thought I would educate some people on clear "wrong info" posted on this thread. Please continue your bashing without me. Oh, and you can look up or call any parish to verify my info...I am too busy to waste my time anymore on this. I just hope others on this thread take your posts for what they are and not fact. Best of luck in your public school. Perhaps its time to let go.

Last edited by llama8; 05-04-2009 at 04:54 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
Hey-- I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a Master's Degree in elementary education. I have been trying to get into the NYC DOE for the past 1 1/2 years, but it has been impossible with this economy of ours. I was HOPING that catholic schools/prvt schools aren't affected by these budget cuts (which I have heard, but I am not 100% sure)... Does anyone know the average NYC elem. catholic school teacher salary (w/a MA)???

Thanks so much!!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:42 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
Stephie,

NYC Catholic school teachers don't make much. I've heard of ones in Queens that get 30-35k a year. I know one personally who has a certification in both Math and SS and still only makes 36,000 (after 5 years).

I think a Catholic education is a wonderful thing. I wish we could do more to help out these schools in lower income areas. Many times they are the only real education a kid is going to get. Catholic schools in wealthy areas will continue to thrive, but those in middle class areas where there are high property taxes will find it very challenging.

I personally think we should take on the Canadian model where the government does indeed help FUND faith-based schools (Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, etc.). They aren't so stuck on the whole separation of church and state. Afterall, the primary function of these schools is to educate.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
My sons 4th grade teacher has a phd in physics and is also a math and science major. She is wonderful. Just wanted to let u know about the quality of the education of some catholic teachers

Old 05-19-2009, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,987 times
Hi! Catholic schooling from what I hear does offer a better education for children. I hear mostly during the High School years. My husband and I will be moving to Middle country school district in 2 mos. My daughter will be starting Dawnwood MS in Sept. and My son, will be attending Oxhead Rd Elementary he will be starting 3 rd grade. If we could afford to I would send both my children to Catholic school. The religion aspect does not matter. My husband is Jewish and my children are taught about both religions. We do go to church every sunday. My husband attends as well and love it. My son made his communion last sunday, They let my husband on the alter, he just did not receive eucharist. I would not be concerned about the religious aspect of the catholic school.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
Thanks all for your comments, great that this thread is still going strong.

Does anyone have any experience with sending their kids to local elementary school and then switching to Catholic middle and high school? Are the kids properly prepared for the Catholic schools? And, have they had a hard time accepting the fact that they would be the "new" kid? I presume that there are many "new" kids in Catholic high school that had previously gone to public elementary and middle schools.

For my particular situation, I was considering sending my son to the local elementary school in Lake Grove and then switching him to Catholic middle school at 6th grade. Or, possibly sending him to our local middle school (Dawnwood) and then sending him to Catholic high school (St. Anthony's or St. John's, most likely). Dawnwood middle school actually seems to be decent, at least as far as test scores go. I am concerned about Centereach High School in particular as I have heard it can be rough. No idea if that is actually true but I was hoping that going to Catholic high school would get him in a better environment.

Any thoughts on this approach? When do most kids make the switch to Catholic school?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Thanks all for your comments, great that this thread is still going strong.

Does anyone have any experience with sending their kids to local elementary school and then switching to Catholic middle and high school? Are the kids properly prepared for the Catholic schools? And, have they had a hard time accepting the fact that they would be the "new" kid? I presume that there are many "new" kids in Catholic high school that had previously gone to public elementary and middle schools.

For my particular situation, I was considering sending my son to the local elementary school in Lake Grove and then switching him to Catholic middle school at 6th grade. Or, possibly sending him to our local middle school (Dawnwood) and then sending him to Catholic high school (St. Anthony's or St. John's, most likely). Dawnwood middle school actually seems to be decent, at least as far as test scores go. I am concerned about Centereach High School in particular as I have heard it can be rough. No idea if that is actually true but I was hoping that going to Catholic high school would get him in a better environment.

Any thoughts on this approach? When do most kids make the switch to Catholic school?
I switched to catholic HS (St. Anthony's) for 9th grade and there were many others just like me. I'd estimate the split to be about 60/40 in favor of kids coming from catholic elementary vs. those coming from public. Keep in mind this was a while ago...

As for being prepared, if your child is a solid student they should have no problem making the adjustment. You won't find "smarter" kids in a school like St. Anthony's...but the quantity of high acheiving students is pretty substantial which makes for a competitive environment (a good thing IMO) - which is something you won't see in every public high school.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
My suggestion is to keep him in the middle school until he is in 9th grade. Why ; if you change him in 6th grade, then after 8th grade he would have to change again. That is the only reason.

But then again, if he did go in 6th grade, many of the kids he would be familiar with, would be going on to St. Johns or St. Anthonys, so he would be more familiar with them.

Looking at both sides. I see lots of kids coming into our catholic in 5th grade.

Good luck ; either way, catholic is a good education ; isnt that why we send our children to school.

d

Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Just curious on how much it costs to send a child to, lets say St. Anthony's for a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island