Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 22,450 times

Advertisements

When you say you live "on" Long Island instead of "in".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiB729 View Post
Does anyone remember Whales College Bar in Selden?
I worked at Whales in 1969,70, and 71.The owner was Ronnie(Ronald) Samuels. The house band for 2 years was Chapter 4--good friends of mine.Ronnie is currently serving time in prison for attempted murder of his wife. He hired a couple of drug addicts to shoot her, they tried...however; they didn't kill her. But she is paralyzed for life from the shooting.

P.S.
It was called Whale's College Lounge. Located at 777 Middle Country Rd.

Last edited by StoshFromC.I.; 01-22-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiB729 View Post
Does anyone remember Whales College Bar in Selden?
Whales College Lounge---on Middle Country Road. I worked there for over 2 years. We ordered lunch from Campus Hero , just 100 yards West of Whales, across the street on the corner.. Is Campus Hero still there ??
I have been living and working in Costa Rica since 2008-- and sure could use a good Hero..

Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Default Campus Hero--was a great place to eat

Whales College Lounge---on Middle Country Road. I worked there for over 2 years. We ordered lunch from Campus Hero , just 100 yards West of Whales, across the street on the corner.. Is Campus Hero still there ??
I have been living and working in Costa Rica since 2008-- and sure could use a good Hero..

Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 AM

Is there a way to post photos on your reply ???

Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoshFromC.I. View Post
Campus technically moved (I think Rocky Point). BUT there is still a hero place there and I believe it is still connected with Campus, or possibly is previous Campus employees running it. It is now called Corner Heroes. Haven't been there in awhile.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 AM

407 posts, read 966,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoshFromC.I. View Post
I worked at Whales in 1969,70, and 71.The owner was Ronnie(Ronald) Samuels. The house band for 2 years was Chapter 4--good friends of mine.Ronnie is currently serving time in prison for attempted murder of his wife. He hired a couple of drug addicts to shoot her, they tried...however; they didn't kill her. But she is paralyzed for life from the shooting.

P.S.
It was called Whale's College Lounge. Located at 777 Middle Country Rd.
I have lived in Selden since 1997, but I have heard some stories about Whales and that shooting from neighbors over the years. It's one of the few "cool" stories I have to tell about my new home . Another story is a girl who killed her father before I moved here, plus a group home that was burned to the ground by neighbors. In fact, I know the people that currently live in that home which was rebuilt. Hey I came from The Bronx....I need some cool Selden stories. I did spend a lot of time in Brentwood since the 70's though, because a good friend lived there, and Brentwood had some good stories too.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
When your taxes are higher than your mortgage payment......

Old 02-12-2017, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 16,841 times
Default The Shack, Northport, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Does anyone remember the clam bar on on the south side of Rte 25a between Centerport and Northport? I think it was at Sandy Hollow Rd,

Sure. It's still there.
It's called The Shack. When I first ate there in 1962 they also had the best grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and the thick jagged-edged fries were outstanding. Family run business open generally from Memorial Day to Labor Day as I recall.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 16,841 times
Default The Country Store, Fort Salonga

That old store was called "The Country Store" by the locals in Fort Salonga. It had been the original area schoolhouse dating to the 1880's for multiple grades. It was built up on Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd but was later moved to the corner of Bread & Cheese and 25A. It was converted into a general store and post office for the neighborhood residents. In the 1960s it had the best deli...cold cuts, that incredible mayo based potato salad that LI came to be famous for and you could buy magazines, newspapers, gifts and what-knots. Family run by a middle aged couple that everyone knew. I always wished they had saved that building for historical reasons (maybe move it to Old Bethpage Village). I can still remember hearing the dragster racing as we lived on the north side of 25A and you hear the racing for miles about. Fond memories!

Last edited by dalebob; 02-12-2017 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: add picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island