Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,103,731 times

Advertisements

Okay, speaking of disco, how many were at the infamous Twisted Sister concert at Adventure Land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 66,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKZ View Post
Long before there was Lowes and Home Depot, we had Pergament and Rickels (Rickels helps you do it better, do it better with Rickels.) Before Island Recreational, there was a Johns Bargain Stores there. I remember Great Eastern but I don't remember where it was. I remember a mens clothing store Robert Hall, but can't remember where that was either. As far as bars go, I used to hang out at Butters (in Wantagh), Slopes, which was around the corner from that and the big hang out was the Tabard Ale House. but I only went there a handful of times, always mobbed. A little later on, when Disco reared it's ugly head, there was Uncle Sams on Hempstead Turnpike which became the punk club SPIT on Wednesdays. My mom and sis still live out there so I go back fairly often. I really, really miss that enormous flea market at Roosevelt Raceway. I spent thousands of dollars on crap which I did not need all through the 70s.
I remember a Great Eastern on Sunrise Highway in Lindenhurst and I remember a Robert Hall (also on Sunrise Highway I believe) in West Babylon. I also remember Whites, Billy Blake and TSS.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 AM

12 posts, read 147,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
There was a club in the Mayfair shopping center called Dimensions, but before that it was called something else and Twisted Sister used to play there does anyone remember the name of the club? Does anyone remember the Centereach movie theatre? or The fox movie theatre in East Setauket or Brent City?Hardees,Arbys and Aprils in Selden? Mayer Deck Hockey?Shoe repair in Red building in Selden? Dragon Island?Blake Auto Parts?Chicken Delight,mini golf behind McDonalds in Centereach,
we were on henry ave in selden,so of course i remember centereach movie theatre,we used to go every weekend as little kids in the early 70's and watch g movies like apple dumpling gang and kurt russell in the worlds strongest boy. sadly,it burned down in the 80's,so im told. dragon island chinese food was and still is my favorite chinese food of all time,even though i havent had it in 30 years!how about arthur treachers on middle country,and friendlys (still there as of 10 years ago,last time i was back.)we toured hardees on a field trip in 4th grade,how funny! does anyone remember a bar called the players lounge in the 70's? their house band was pete & the good intentions.. i still have a 30 year old homemade cassette tape of them. also,my dad used to work at a meat market in farmingdale called chirillos meat market (maybe in brentwood) ,in the early to mid 70's,anyone ever know what happened to that place?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropsofjupiterlol View Post
Villa Contento Pizza in E Islip...my father's Texaco station at the corner of Washington/Suffolk in Brentwood (back when it was nice)...Taft Street in B'wood, The Island Discount store, the Brentwood Deli who had the best potato salad in the world and I have never been able to find since! Solomon Grundy's In Islip, Campbell's Bakery in Brentwood. Does anyone remember WETSON'S? It was over by the Smithhaven mall area, they had big neon circles on the roof, on each side of the building...I used to like their cheeseburgers better than McDonald's when I was a kid. The Farmer's Market there...it was HUGE! (at least it seemed huge back then)...Sunken Meadow, Ivy League Preschool in Hauppauge, italian ices on a hot summer day...hearing the sound of the LIRR train at night...that is LI to me. We left when I was 10 but I will never forget those things...went back frequently, my first crush Steven Tarolli...my best friend Grace Cavanaugh and Zsa Zsa Szucs...mint growing wild in our yard...waiting until everyone was alseep and running naked through the snow...getting hit by a car on Jefferson Avenue and Taft Street. Hey, anyone remember Dairy Barn?
wetsons was awesome!! they got bought out by nathans in the early 80's and i havent seen 1 since.too bad. and yeah! cherry italian ices

Old 02-17-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm01 View Post
what about IGA food stores, uncle Charlies in Smithtown, Fravoli's,
Hilltop diner jericho tpke Smithtown, Glenda Lynns on main st, King george on main st smithtown, david brown hardware, NY ave junior high,Smithtown
general hospital is now demolished
CAN YOU STILL GET A SPALDEEN BALL THESE DAYS?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The one in Bayshore? That building had a lot of issues.
No, the one in Huntington, I meant. Where was the Bayshore one. I can't remember.
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER A MEAT MARKET IN THE 70'S IN FARMINGDALE CALLED CHIRILLOS MEAT MARKET? MY DAD USED TO WORK THER 30 - 40 YEARS OR SO AGO,HAVENT BEEN BACK EXCEPT FOR FUNERALS IN 25 YEARS.PARENTS ARE BURIED ON CEMETERY ROW IN FARMINGDALE OH,DOES ANYONE REMEMBER A BAR CALLED THE PLAYERS LOUNGE IN THE 70'S?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:33 AM

does anyone remember builders emporium store? s&s bakery in selden in the 70's?,angelos pizza,leo's deli,pj's deli (coram,around 74-75 or so),charlie the barber?,port jeff bowling alley and the luncheonette right next to it?,st.margarets church and little league in selden? jericho elementary school,hawkins path,newfield high school?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 PM

11 posts, read 47,647 times
I am new to the forum, but grew up on Long Island. I was fun remembering some of the places from my childhood that were mentioned. In my early twenties though, my gal pals and I used to hit the discos.(1973-1974) Does anyone remember Brothers II? My favorite band played there a lot. The Rhythm Jesters. There was another band that made the rounds in the clubs called Heat Wave featuring Janet Joyce. Anyone remember them?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 16,901 times
Well, I do have some answers (maybe) to recent posts. IGA grocery stores still exists here and there (eg:Bayville, Point Lookout). Roosevelt Raceway today is full of stores, a huge 55+ condo development and another huge apartment rental complex. Mitchell Field is the site of Nassau Community College, Nassau Colleseum, Nassau County sports complex, several office and industrial buildings and some museums, including the cradle of aviation museum located in part in old Mitchell Field hangers. The site is slated for further development as the nassau county "HUB". Someone mentioned the band "Southern Cross". I saw them many times in the late 70's. From time to time they would play in a small place near Hofstra called Sutters Mill, which I think later became Fezziwigs. Alot of posts about Wetsons........I think that chain may have been here on Long Island before McDonalds got around to us. A point of interest........the son of Wetsons founder was at one time married to Margaux Heminway. Nathans bought out Wetsons years ago and owns the name, ect.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM

92 posts, read 474,758 times
Did anyone ever go to Whiskey Red's?There were a few booths but you sat on barrels and sawdust was all over the floors? The crowds would overflow into the streets every week-end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island