Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 16,876 times

Advertisements

I think the name of that place was the Blue Chip Diner. Small place...mostly a sit down counter inside with just a few tables seating four. It burned down and was eventually razed. I was always amazed that nothing was ever rebuilt on the site. It's sat a vacant lot for years. Would have been a great place for another small, short order diner (or bar) in my opinion.

Last edited by dalebob; 02-12-2017 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 PM

How about the old Roller Rink in Northport next to the lumberyard...fishing for flounders and eels off the dock in Northport...going with your Dad to the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery...Joe's King Neptune clam bar at the marina in Cold Spring Harbor (later burned down)...white, mayonnaise based Long Island style potato salad...adjustable steel roller skates with a tightening key...Dunkin' Donuts when they baked all their donuts on-site...the Carriage House Museum in Stony Brook...Sid's Slacks in Huntington's Walt Whitman Mall...Van Sise Farms in Syosset for pumpkins, plants, Christmas decorations...The Shack for clams, burgers, hot dogs and fries on 25A at the "S" curve in Northport...the old Country Store at 25A and Bread & Cheese Hollow Road, Fort Salonga...miniature golf next door to Buddy Burgers in Commack and at the corner of Jericho Turnpike and Elwood Road...the original (and I believe the first) Cinerama movie theatre in Syosset near Lollipop Farm that had an original Wurlitzer jukebox upstairs you could play before show time for a quarter...playing in wool felt Little League uniforms with sponsor names like Robert Chevrolet, Villa Victor, etc....Marsh's Men's Store on main street Huntington (expensive but the best quality and most stylish brands)...Lafayette Electronics in Syosset on Jericho Turnpike...Sagamore Hill, Teddy Roosevelt's home in Oyster Bay...every kid or teenager with a transistor radio on his blanket at Fire Island and Jones Beach listening loudly to Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingrahm, Murray the K...all the fabulous outdoor corn, tomato, and fresh produce stands that existed in just about every town on LI (to this day I've never tasted better tomatoes!)...the very affordable, delightful double features at the old Northport movie theater that was small and cozy with a make-out balcony...winter walks on the Sunken Meadow boardwalk...the great golf courses all over the island before they became so overcrowded or developed into home sites...the Long Island Expressway when it terminated at Sunken Meadow Parkway...the extensive sod farms in Syosset and Woodbury...the Gold Coast Inn in St. James for the best in stereophonic music and its wild bar scene...Geide's and Glynn's Inn in Centerport across from Linck's Log Cabin and just west of the Thatched Cottage for family dinners...Sam Goody's records and Wallach's men's store in the original Walt Whitman Mall...barreling down Heartbreak Hill at Indian Hills Country Club with your Flexible Flyer sled in the dead of winter...Brown's Hardware on Jericho Turnpike across from Billy Blake's in Smithtown for the absolute best selection of tools and merchandise long before big box stores drove all the mom & pop hardware stores out of business...when you could still burn leaves in autumn to dispose of them all (remember that great smell that permeated the air and defined the season???)...playing football, baseball or running track when the spikes were steel...collecting glass soda and beer bottles to redeem them for 5 or 10 cents a piece (it was a kid's fortune!)...Suffolk County when Bohack's and A&P were about the only grocery store options...when the barber finished your haircut by spritzing the back of your neck and ears with witch hazel or your crew cut was styled with Butch Wax...legal drinking age being 18 but still being able to get into all too many bars at 16 or 17 without being carded...remember when most towns seem to have an least one furniture retailer and very often two or more?...out of this world diners where you almost always finished your night with the guys or your girl...when civilization seemed to end after Port Jefferson and points east seemed to be just bait shacks, tourist or recreation areas, etc. with obscure roads, all dimly lit come nightfall...the Fireman's Fair down in the sand pit in Northport come July that ran 2 or 3 days...the incinerator and dump off Pulaski and town line road in Kings Park that stank the place up for miles around...Christmas tree stands every half mile or so along most commercial thoroughfares in season when the trees were all fresh cut and not plastic...I could go on and on...great memories and a great place to grow up. Despite having lived in seven states I will forever be a north shore kid from Long Island!

Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
******Seizures*****

Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,684 times
I worked at Pergaments, than moved to AZ

Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 PM

Default SE Corner of Bread & Cheese Hollow Rd and 25A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwonder View Post
So I just read your post....and you might just be the person to answer this question. You mentioned the old General Store that was replaced by the A&P. On the opposite corner....the SW corner of 25a and Bread & Cheese Hollow...there used to be a bar/clambar "Shack" type place. It's now an empty lot.....but I can't seem to find anyone who can remember the name of this place...just that it was once there. Do you remember this?

See my post on page 156 post#1552 for my reply.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,459 times
Default I remember Whale's

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoshFromC.I. View Post
I worked at Whales in 1969,70, and 71.The owner was Ronnie(Ronald) Samuels. The house band for 2 years was Chapter 4--good friends of mine.Ronnie is currently serving time in prison for attempted murder of his wife. He hired a couple of drug addicts to shoot her, they tried...however; they didn't kill her. But she is paralyzed for life from the shooting.

P.S.
It was called Whale's College Lounge. Located at 777 Middle Country Rd.
Hi Stosh, It's Richie K. , Charlie Morgan's buddy. Was just thinking about the old place and found this. I heard about Ronnie. There were lots of good times there. Hope you are well my friend.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 8,585 times
Default Arthur Pub

You can't forget about Arthurs Pub on Alhambra Drive in Massapequa. I used to watch Otter Creek almost weekly from 1975 till 1977. After that, they closed down and reopened as Foxes.
Great memories!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
Campus technically moved (I think Rocky Point). BUT there is still a hero place there and I believe it is still connected with Campus, or possibly is previous Campus employees running it. It is now called Corner Heroes. Haven't been there in awhile.
That closed up and now its attempting to open under Joe's Campus Heroes or Joe's Corner Heroes.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
When you believe you own the street In front of your house

Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
When people complain about getting traffic tickets and they know they are guilty as hell and still want to get out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island