Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 AM

29 posts, read 161,291 times

Advertisements

does anyone remember Airhuts , it was on a dock or pier in Freeport? Clams on the half shell, oysters, steamers... and when you looked down, you'd see the water between the planks of the pier or dock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 AM

410 posts, read 1,675,753 times
Don't know if know you looked through the entire thread but there are pics of the old ice cream trucks, Bungelow bar, I think Mr. Softee as well.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Default i've seen about the first 15 pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
Don't know if know you looked through the entire thread but there are pics of the old ice cream trucks, Bungelow bar, I think Mr. Softee as well.
and i am waxing nostalgic... someone else mentioned Good Humor trucks, which were the best of the non-MR softie breed... Thanks for the tip, I will keep and eye out for the Pic's , thank you !

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuss4...eature=related

YouTube - Mr. Softee Ice Cream Truck Jingle - How long can you take it

Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 AM

Default dynamite - Jimmy JJ Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Remember lugging around those big bulky portable eight track players?
Kids have it so easy these days they carry a 2 ounce Ipod...

i just found my DYNO MITE bright yellow 8 track player when we moved recently!!!! I had to explain to the kids, they didnt get it... then again, having to flip it over at the exact moment to get the start of your favorite song again and again confused me to , so what the heck, DYNO MITE, long live jjWalker ... LOL...

Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 AM

Default Ehrharts ,thats how u spell it...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Summer nights on the Freeport waterfront anyone?
Tides
Ottos
The Helm
Ehrharts
Any of those still there?

I was just a kid when I left LI - 10 yrs old Sept 1976 - but I remember Ehrharts, the cook use to bring us extra food on the house, because he never saw kids who loved seafood so much, the whole staff used to come out talk to us and just laugh as we went through buckets of steamers, clams,oysters... I think we were hated by the clam population and the EPA had us earmarked as a environmental hazard but it was great...

man I've been back once for a funeral, but I can remember it all like it was yesterday... The Texas Ranger burgers with coleslaw in freeport, my moms friends bar- The Office Lounge, was right around the corner from the Texas Ranger. The pool at Jones Beach, hearing the beetles were breaking up - I can remember coming off the Meadowbrook Pkwy onto Hemstead Tnpk and hearing it on the radio and my mom said yeah blame yoko ono, thank God we still have the Supremes...LOL...

You know it might sound weird, but I wish sometimes my son could have seen all that and just for a day or a week , we could go sledding, freeze are arse off and come in for Hot Chocolate. I used to ride off on my bike onto Mitchell Field where the Catholic School was and cruise across to the Coliseum parking lots, I'd go under the bridge not over Hempstead Tnpk, there was a little creek we'd cruise along with our streamers flying off the handlebars and our banana seats... making ramps and doing jumps.

Bye mom, see you at lunch, or dinner - can you imagine letting our kids have that kinda freedom? Slingshots , firecrackers , Pellet and BB Guns... Damn we'd be locked up for that today!!! Yeah I wish I could afford my son that freedom. Heck we found an unexploded bomb on Mitchell Field , they had bulldozed all sorts of equipment and buildings flat to make the football field for the Catholic High School (it was called ? Kellenberg ?) ,
jezz to have your kids as best friends for a while , how cool would that be?

Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 AM

oh yeah, i just found ehrhardts 239 or 245 Woodcleft Ave,Freeport 11520 i think its 516-378-9789 ????

, some dude also has a mypsace video of him playing at Ehrhardts too ,looks pretty recent.

MySpaceTV Videos: Fun at Ehrharts In Freeport, NY by Kevin Campion

Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 AM

Default yeah popping the balloons . forgot about that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0324 View Post
Dont forget TSS Times Square Store in Levittown and Woolworths remeber the lunch counter in Woolworths, they hung balloons above the seats and you could pop a balloon and inside was a slip of paper with a price written on it, that was the price you would pay for a bannana split.

Or the pet department where you would buy one of those little turtles for 25 or 50 cents. The ones that after a week or two the shells would start to get soft then they would die

Dude, didnt it seem like everyplace had a great lunch counter and soda fountain. only thing close here in Ca is a place is South Pasadena, the old pharmacy went retro and added a soda fountain. Fair Oaks Pharmacy & Soda Fountain - it aint eggcream heaven buts its a good remake...!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 AM

Default hey someone mentions the TexasRanger I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnorma View Post
Freeport Stock car races, going for a buger at the Texas Ranger
The Carousel-Baldwin
West Hempstead the first Teen age night club in US "The white Brick Inn"
The Jets
Hempstead Lake Park and its Carousel
going to the 1890's on Grand Ave!
riding around Baldwin and Freeport with $.50 worth of gas
and yes I am Old LOL
hey someone mentions the TexasRanger I thought I was going crazy for a minute, I tried looking it up but 411= no listing...??? to bad..

I gotta take my son to LI, show him where I grew up and see if anything is still in Uniondale I remember,,, My cousins all lived in MassapequaPark and were older, I'm compiling a list of things to see and do with him,with his help and we're going choose what season to go in, and do it...

its gonna be great...

Rememeber when it would get so cold you could only go out for 15minutes at a time before your wool gloves would get wet and be solid frozen??? You'd come in and watch Run Joey Run, or the Wild Wacky Racers or some Brady Bunch or Gunsmoke reruns. LI was first in the nation to get cable, HBO, and I remember watching "The World at War WWII" films with my old man.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 AM

Default thats crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
It was and still is in Farmingdale. Last time I was there (about 6 years ago), they still had the little boats with the bell!

i completely forgot about this,,, ok its "on the list"...
googled it=

Adventureland Amusement Park

www.adventureland.us

2245 Route 110 - 2
Farmingdale, NY 11735
(631) 694-6868
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island