Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,840 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving into the islip area wilson blvd. can anyone tell me if it is a safe place to retire. How about the schools for my grandchildren, are they top shelf if not could anyone direct me to a nice safe place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,085,280 times
I live in Islip and could not be happier with the town. Dont get me wrong taxes are high(as everywhere) but its a great water front community. Robert Moses beach and the Babylon train station are 10 mins away. Its has easy access to major highways. And it has a nice little downtown. Not crazy big but nice!
Move on in neighbor, you wont regret it.
Good luck!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
Isn't Wilson Blvd. in Central Islip, though? That's another story, sad to say.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-31-2008, 12:30 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,413,233 times
I wouldn't move there more drugs than you think and roving bands of teenagers at all hours. Nosey neighbors, unhelpfull town employees. I'd stay away.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 PM

518 posts, read 1,814,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Isn't Wilson Blvd. in Central Islip, though? That's another story, sad to say.
theres about a half mile of wilson blvd south of sunrise which is Islip.. its nice over there, but the best of Islip is south of montauk hwy. very expensive down there though

Old 11-15-2008, 12:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,904,473 times
Islip is good,it's a small district with no problems,you'll be fine !

Old 11-15-2008, 01:00 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I wouldn't move there more drugs than you think and roving bands of teenagers at all hours. Nosey neighbors, unhelpfull town employees. I'd stay away.
I think this guy is thinking of his Hood...Floyd!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:09 PM

No Camper I live in the Islips and am very familiar with them. I personally know of several dealers, have had my run in's with nosey neighbors and all you have to do is drive down montauk hwy in the evening after school lets out and there are roving bands of teenagers. I 've had run-ins with them at Rita's and I've had issues with them in other places. I pay high taxes, and have had issues with Islip town offices filled with people who are angry that you're asking them to actually do their jobs. So, can it! Thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,085,280 times
So let me get this right...You know of several drug dealers? Do you report them or do you give them your money too? ..Oh and you see alot of kids on Montauk when school lets out? Um..maybe b/c both the Middle and the High School's are on Montauk? Just maybe the kids might be coming from there?
To the poster asking about Islip..Ive been here for 6 wonderful years without any sort of incidents. You will be fine here. Just watch out for all those drug dealers & mobs of school kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
No Camper I live in the Islips and am very familiar with them. I personally know of several dealers, have had my run in's with nosey neighbors and all you have to do is drive down montauk hwy in the evening after school lets out and there are roving bands of teenagers. I 've had run-ins with them at Rita's and I've had issues with them in other places. I pay high taxes, and have had issues with Islip town offices filled with people who are angry that you're asking them to actually do their jobs. So, can it! Thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Poster, don't be suprised if you find it's not the land of milk and honey as some others advertise. There are definitely drugs and plenty of punk kids, LONG AFTER school let out and in the summertime also. I live south of montauk where everyone says it's supposed to be better. Like I said previously I've had issues with roving kids in the neighborhood, and I know everyone is going to pounce but I had less issues with them when I lived in Mastic Beach. (GASP!!!!). Let's hope I've had isolated incidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island