Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 AM

93 posts, read 263,196 times

Advertisements

anyone still see the move to NC thing going on,or has it run its course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM

311 posts, read 915,763 times
No it's still going on if you look on the Charlotte NC forum lol.. me & my husband just moved there recently and have decided to stay, will be looking for a house soon and we're excited for what we can get down there for so cheap! we also realized family is not a far trip away.. we're visiting in NY right now =D I'm sure alot of the island is still moving to NC, especially in this market (although jobs seem to be tight everywhere).. and I still just can't get over the fact that a 3 bedroom fixer upper shack here on LI still runs between 350,000 and 500,000! (Even though I've lived here in LI my whole life..) I'm a newlywed and there is just NO WAY we can afford that! So off to NC we went!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
Well, I'm bucking the trend and moving from NC to LI!!! Anyone want to swap homes with me? I'll be listing just after the Super Bowl...

Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM

116 posts, read 630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
Well, I'm bucking the trend and moving from NC to LI!!! Anyone want to swap homes with me? I'll be listing just after the Super Bowl...
My best friend's Mom is moving back also. What's your main reason for moving back?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Maybe it appears to be slower because people are having trouble selling here before they move.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
Not moving back... moving for the first time. I'm actually a Chicagoan Career brought us to NC and is now taking us to LI. It feels strange to be going against the current, but kinda exciting nonetheless.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM

116 posts, read 630,158 times
Quote:
Not moving back... moving for the first time. I'm actually a Chicagoan Career brought us to NC and is now taking us to LI. It feels strange to be going against the current, but kinda exciting nonetheless.
Welcome to Long Island!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:07 PM

237 posts, read 855,733 times
My wife and I are from Long Island and now live in Charlotte NC. Would love to come back if we could afford to. We came down to NC to afford a house. could of bought one already easily, thank god we didnt. Our advice for anyone moving here is make sure you have a job first and rent for awhile to make sure you will like it here before buying. We are now looking in PA to be closer to family and as soon as I can find a job we are leaving NC

Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
My wife and I are from Long Island and now live in Charlotte NC. Would love to come back if we could afford to. We came down to NC to afford a house. could of bought one already easily, thank god we didnt. Our advice for anyone moving here is make sure you have a job first and rent for awhile to make sure you will like it here before buying. We are now looking in PA to be closer to family and as soon as I can find a job we are leaving NC
Best of luck. Maybe you could get something in the depressed market? Who knows, but that's the main driver of people moving South...cheap houses, or massive houses for the price of normal houses here. You get what you pay for if you ask me. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Welcome and good luck. You'll get a lot of good info here, but be careful and check your sources. Sometimes it's just a big gripe session, but I haven't been around really very much, so maybe it's better.

Best of luck with the move. I wish you luck and hope you love the Island. PM me if you want to ask anything in particular.

Please, feel free to give updates and let us know where you end up.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island