Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM

135 posts, read 514,891 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at MLS because we are searching for a home in LI and of course we are looking at all our options. I've seen huge 8 bedroom homes in beautiful condition with finished basements and that one can probably get for 299K. How bad is Mastic really? Is it worth dealing with the area if it means getting a huge home near the Railroad. Also, how far is Mastic area from NYC by train? Anyone know? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 06:11 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
I don't know much about Mastic because it is out in Suffolk, but from what I have seen on posts, it doesn't look like too good an area. People have complained about drugs, bad schools, and run down properties. I really can't say, but if you search this site for past topic threads about Mastic/Shirley, that could help.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,431 times
Last Roy Rodgers on LI. Only reason why id get off that exit.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,578 times
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'LL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!AND EAT YOUR YOUNG!!!!!!!!!! Well, not really. I grew up there, I managed to escape unscathed. I'd stay away from the RR tracks especially on the south west side. I lived further down the Wm. Floyd in a potentially worse neighborhood. I graduated HS. Haven't been the victim or perpetrator of any violent crime. I don't have an IV drug problem. I've failed to knock up any teenage girls. I even have a job ON THE BOOKS!!!! Anyway what I'm trying to say is that many people on this site will slam an area but have never lived there. You raise your kids right and you'll have no problems, regardless of area.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
I've been looking at MLS because we are searching for a home in LI and of course we are looking at all our options. I've seen huge 8 bedroom homes in beautiful condition with finished basements and that one can probably get for 299K. How bad is Mastic really? Is it worth dealing with the area if it means getting a huge home near the Railroad. Also, how far is Mastic area from NYC by train? Anyone know? Thanks.
I'll defer to the other threads and remarks of residents regarding the location, but as far as the commute goes..VERY LONG into the city. You are looking at 2+ hours door to door.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:26 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,284 times
I wouldn't live there. I wouldn't really want to be that close the Brookhaven National Laboratory and the area does have some crime issues. To me the lower prices just don't make up for those two negatives and I'd be happier somewhere else

Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Most people that knock it have never lived there. Its def. not the nicest place on LI. But its no East NY! My coworker lives in Shirley, on the border of Mastic Beach for 35 years now. He personally has never had a problem. And he raised his son throught the William Floyd school system. Take it for what you will. All the schools use the same text books...but the student has to do the work and put in the time!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,578 times
Agreed Roc, people LOVE to tear it down.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
I have been around many of the different areas of Shirley, Mastic, and Mastic Beach. I can definately tell you that there are some very nice areas of these towns where I think that the housing stock is a real bargain. Unfortunately, there are also a few areas in which the homes are not well kept and that look a little seedy. I think that you can get a good deal there because the bad areas have dragged down the reputation of the whole.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 64,313 times
My brother and his wife bought a house for a great price in Mastic Beach (with three school age daughters), and have been living there for a few years now. Their house itself is nice, but it varies so wildly block by block, sometimes even house by house. A lot of them are beyond rundown, almost in slum condition. And certain whole blocks just a block or two away from them are that way. As far as schools, a mixed bag. So far my neices have only experienced elementary school, but my sister in law has said there is an extremely disturbing lack of parental involvement, and a lot of the kids are rough around the edges (not "bad seeds", but the language, dress, etc are often inappropriate). My brother's not thrilled with the area, but is at least satisfied that he found a nice house that he could actually afford!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island