Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,267 times

Advertisements

Area median home closing prices tumble by double digits -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzhome115922337nov11,0,24006.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Good! Hopefully the freefall continues

Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Good! Hopefully the freefall continues
Why would you be cheering on a slide into recession?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
I think its going to get worse before it gets better!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM

103 posts, read 377,798 times
I'm with Peter B... As much as it hurts to watch house prices fall after just having purchased a home, I think it is much needed. This recession we're entering into (or in already most likely) is the market correction that everyone knew was coming. It seems to me that it is inevitable, and the longer we try to prolong it the more it's going to hurt.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:09 PM

151 posts, read 534,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjunkie View Post
I'm with Peter B... As much as it hurts to watch house prices fall after just having purchased a home, I think it is much needed. This recession we're entering into (or in already most likely) is the market correction that everyone knew was coming. It seems to me that it is inevitable, and the longer we try to prolong it the more it's going to hurt.
I agree with you 100%, in addition it leaves great deals for people looking to buy that actually have the money and credit to do so, unlike in the past.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:30 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Why would you be cheering on a slide into recession?
Oh please Tom! Every house for sale on LI is way overpriced. What is happening is called a "correction". Also, a reality check for those mortgaged to the hilt.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:50 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Oh please Tom! Every house for sale on LI is way overpriced. What is happening is called a "correction". Also, a reality check for those mortgaged to the hilt.
Every house?

Those who read my posts know that I am no pollyanna or cheerleader. What I was questioning was the gleefullness with which some people take this news. They seem to actually be happy that their net worth is tumbling.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM

103 posts, read 377,798 times
I'm in my house and my investments for the long-haul. I'm happy to see the market finally correcting itself, even at the expense of my current net worth. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner we could get back on track with some strong economic footing. Then instead of these imaginary gains backed ultimately by loose-credit practices, we could start to see some actual growth.

And if you think I'm too happy about all of this, you should speak to many of my friends who are still living with their parents as they enter their 30's. These are well-educated hardworking people with decent jobs that simply cannot afford to purchase a decent home on LI without having to buy into a terrible commute or poor school district. Even living w/o rent they aren't able to save enough, so renting on LI is out of the question if they plan on buying anything anytime soon based on the current market conditions.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 PM

128 posts, read 323,087 times
Home prices (which are investments) are getting lower! However,taxes including real estate, land taxes, sales taxes, and ever other tax we get hit with and will in the next year on Long island continue to RISE!!! WE continue to pay more and get less. Yes, a correction needs to be made and yes it's long coming but not the value of our hard earned investments. It's the taxes and everything else that needs correcting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island