U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

LI aging housing stock: ancient infrastructure, sewer system, high taxes, inner suburbs, construction

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,078,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
nbres, that is why one of my top choices for relocation is eastern Tennessee ; that part has mountains and forests. It is really a beautiful state with a relatively mild climate ( but not Floridian), friendly people and lovely cities. The only thing wrong is that there is..... ....no Cheesecake Factory .
Sounds nice. Are there aligators there? They can be very pesky on the golf course.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 PM

4,889 posts, read 8,322,284 times
Sure are, pesky Appalachian Mountain Gators. Darn things eat dozens of hikers and rock climbers each year.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,135,017 times
Location, Location, Location... I'm with those on the McMansions - it's not just Tennessee, it's everywhere. Charlotte's "bedroom community" Union County is a classic place for this, too. Probably examples in most any state. Everyone gets hyped on these huge houses on flat, wide open farm land. The builders should be writing SUCKER on the siding. I have no desire to heat, cool, and maintain 4-5k+ sqft - who in their right mind does? It's like those who drive the giant SUVs. Why? What happens to all those cheap taxes when they need to expand the infrastructure there? Look at what happened to Florida? They had it great until the tax bills were updated to build roads, schools, etc.

You can get on about LI's infrastructure, but it's mature. Try to get things like high speed internet in Tennessee... 2 cans and a string? What's funny is that when all is said an done... you're in $#@! Tennessee! oh my

You're paying more for all the things on LI that the OP so carefully left out. I agree that the correction of home values is still a work in progress - as it should be.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 AM

13,166 posts, read 15,498,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Location, Location, Location... I'm with those on the McMansions - it's not just Tennessee, it's everywhere. Charlotte's "bedroom community" Union County is a classic place for this, too. Probably examples in most any state. Everyone gets hyped on these huge houses on flat, wide open farm land. The builders should be writing SUCKER on the siding. I have no desire to heat, cool, and maintain 4-5k+ sqft - who in their right mind does? It's like those who drive the giant SUVs. Why? What happens to all those cheap taxes when they need to expand the infrastructure there? Look at what happened to Florida? They had it great until the tax bills were updated to build roads, schools, etc.

You can get on about LI's infrastructure, but it's mature. Try to get things like high speed internet in Tennessee... 2 cans and a string? What's funny is that when all is said an done... you're in $#@! Tennessee! oh my

You're paying more for all the things on LI that the OP so carefully left out. I agree that the correction of home values is still a work in progress - as it should be.

If I move to Tenessee, it would be because I want to get AWAY from LI type living. Instead, all these people from up here move to suburban communities that will be just like LI in 20 years.

One think I liked when I visited Virginia is that there where actually some developments where they DIDN'T CUT DOWN ALL THE TREES!!! I could never buy a house in the middle of a field where it gets up in the 90's and humid during the summer...no shade in your backyard?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,974,474 times
I know everyone is big on bashing the 4-5000 sqft mcmansions.... but how about a nice 2500-3000 sqft colonial?
Ever trying and buy one of those on LI in a nice area?
TN may not be an answer for everyone, it isn't for me.

I don't see anything wrong with considering other areas. Yes salary is adjusted. but honestly, depends no the industry, but could possibly be not that much. I've talked to people in other offices of my firm, I could move at the same salary and the home growns are down about 10% from where i am....

My wife is a teacher, her salary would go up as she would be able to get a public school job in other areas of the country........

if only our family weren't here......

Old 11-24-2008, 01:36 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,078,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I know everyone is big on bashing the 4-5000 sqft mcmansions.... but how about a nice 2500-3000 sqft colonial?

I don't see anything wrong with considering other areas. Yes salary is adjusted. but honestly, depends no the industry, but could possibly be not that much. I've talked to people in other offices of my firm, I could move at the same salary and the home growns are down about 10% from where i am....

My wife is a teacher, her salary would go up as she would be able to get a public school job in other areas of the country........

If you truly believe that life would be better for you somewhere else, you should go for it. Many people do great after moving to a new area. It gives them a new perspective and often a new energy.

My wife and I, early in our marriage, gave up several opportunities to relocate because of family. I sometimes wonder how life would have been different.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,683,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If I move to Tenessee, it would be because I want to get AWAY from LI type living. Instead, all these people from up here move to suburban communities that will be just like LI in 20 years.

One think I liked when I visited Virginia is that there where actually some developments where they DIDN'T CUT DOWN ALL THE TREES!!! I could never buy a house in the middle of a field where it gets up in the 90's and humid during the summer...no shade in your backyard?
A-MEN! I lived in NC for 13 years from 1994 to 2007. It was pleasent to live in back int he 90's...but ever since the LI'ers, NJiets, MAholes, CAians, and FLians started FLOCKING there sine the turn of the new millenium...its gone down hill. Everything is being overbuilt, the new houses are now built on top of eachother and are getting more expensive, infrastructure is strainged, school systems are strainged...all because the whiney people in these aforementioned expensive areas want newer cheaper bigger houses (and in the case of people from the North, warmer weather because they are whiners who can't handle winter either). AND YOU ARE RIGHT...NC will be just like LI/NJ within a decade or two. Me...i came back home to upstate NY. We get taxed to death on property taxes but our houses are affordable, quality of life amazing, FOUR SEASONS which don't include "snowing pollen season" and great school districts where you know your kids will actually go to school close to home and will stay assinged to that school!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,126,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The other day I realized that my car was due for inspection, as my current one expired last week. When I glanced at the sticker on the window, I noticed that the mileage last November 9th was reported as 146,xxx - it's now at 181,xxx. That means I've driven 35,000 miles or so in the last year. The furthest west I've gone is Manhattan, furthest south Coney Island, furthest north Yonkers....that's basically 35k miles all on Long Island roads, and this was a somewhat "light" travel year for me since I worked a desk job between October and February and only had to commute from North Wantagh to Woodbury. I've been working on the road since 2002 in one form or another so I've got plenty of experience with LI's supposedly terrible infrastructure...and I think I know what the problem is:

You're all wimps. You weren't built for this environment, move to Tennessee.

Seriously, the roads are not that bad. If you're in Nassau, you're less than 50 miles from Manhattan and a stones throw from the actual boundaries of our country's largest city. Traffic is to be expected, it's a miracle the roads are only jammed up at both rush hours! There's always shortcuts and side roads which may not be any quicker, but a whole lot less mentally draining than sitting in traffic on the LIE. In Suffolk, the major North-South routes are pretty bad and could be upgraded but again, there are plenty of other off-the-beaten-path options. Blame it on poor planning....a lot of those roads are also pretty dreary looking. Even when the Southern State is backed up, it's at least somewhat pleasant scenery!

I pointed this out in another thread but I might as well repeat it here: the increased traffic congestion on LI is solely a symptom of more people driving, not a symptom of more people. Nassau's population has decreased since the 1960s, while Suffolk's has increased but only at a moderate rate. When you were a kid it only seemed like there were less people because back then not every member of every family owned a car. If more people carpooled or used public transportation (which could also use some work), we'd easily be back at that point.

As for the housing, you can keep the McMansions too. The first two are nice but the third one is nasty. Bigger (and newer) isn't always better, we pay for location here and I'd honestly take the tiny Levitt ranch I grew up in on a 60x100 lot over any of those - so long as one is in NY and one is in TN. I like being close to my neighbors, I like the density of the suburbs and Queens/Brooklyn are appealing to me as well.

If your big complaints about LI are traffic and "overpaying" for small homes/property, you're living in the wrong part of the country and I think a move would be very smart!!
Regarding your traffic comments I completely agree...although I do think the Southern State was built to be the center of all evil commuting stresses, and I am thankful that I am rarely, if ever on it. But, that being said: Tampa/St. Pete, DC/Beltway, LA!!, Boston, Chicago...been in plenty of rush hours (and did I mention Miami/Lauderdale, Coral Gables!!) and they are just as bad as LI and in some cases ABSOLUTELY worse than here (Beltway traffic has to be numero uno). Unlike an area like Tampa for example, you can at least hop on 25 or shoot down an alternate north/south parkway, or cut through a neighhorhood to get around some of these traffice messes. Not an option in these other areas where sprawl hit, and then nobody wanted the expanded highway necessary to be in their backyard. Long island is no worse than any major metro area, and better than most in my opinion. People need to realize where they chose to live...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,834,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Regarding your traffic comments I completely agree...although I do think the Southern State was built to be the center of all evil commuting stresses, and I am thankful that I am rarely, if ever on it. But, that being said: Tampa/St. Pete, DC/Beltway, LA!!, Boston, Chicago...been in plenty of rush hours (and did I mention Miami/Lauderdale, Coral Gables!!) and they are just as bad as LI and in some cases ABSOLUTELY worse than here (Beltway traffic has to be numero uno). Unlike an area like Tampa for example, you can at least hop on 25 or shoot down an alternate north/south parkway, or cut through a neighhorhood to get around some of these traffice messes. Not an option in these other areas where sprawl hit, and then nobody wanted the expanded highway necessary to be in their backyard. Long island is no worse than any major metro area, and better than most in my opinion. People need to realize where they chose to live...
Well, since everyone seems to be in agreement that the Southern State traffic is the worst, I've drawn a map of ONE of my routes through south shore Nassau where you never have to even glance at the parkway. I know a few others, I have a small collection of antique maps and these were primary east-west travel routes way before the parkways.

NOTE: These routes are considerably slower unless there is serious traffic, which there often times is. I find the worst is usually between the Meadowbrook and the Wantagh, so I added a way to bypass that section as well....but you can drive straight across the county (from Queens to Suffolk) using the longer one.

TOP SECRET SOUTHERN STATE SHORTCUTS - Google Maps

Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 AM

13,166 posts, read 15,498,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post

I hear you about the houses, trust me. My wife and I make what would be considered "upper middle class" anywhere else in the country, but here we would struggle to afford a modest colonial in a good neighborhood..you're talking close to 500K even with the current market, and that is out of our "conservative" price range according to most calculations...that's with no debt other than mortgage and a combined income of around $140K.

Now, the real estate folks here would say "you can afford that easily!!"

What if I lose my job? We'd be under water in 5 months. That's also a serious concern in this economy.

Hence, we live in a 2 bedroom condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island