Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in West Islip who I visit regularly and have done so for about the last six or seven years. In the past year I've begun noticing a lot more empty storefronts and other commercial properties than there used to be. For example, there's an entire strip-mall on Union Blvd in which all the stores are now vacant except for the Stop & Shop at one end, a small liqour store in the center, and an even smaller dry cleaner's. I remember when all of those storefronts were occupied! Along Montauk Highway a longtime Ford dealer has gone out of business and has been empty for at least a year; a church (yes, a church!) next to it is also shut up and abandoned. On Union Blvd just west of the intersection with Higbie Lane, there is an abandoned hulk of a Moose Lodge that looks as if it should have been condemned years ago (though my friend tells me it was in use as recently as 2002 when her granddaughter was in high school). On Higbie Lane is a half-burned shell of what used to be a florist.

Many of the stores along Higbie Lane don't seem to be able to keep tenants very long either. They are there for a few months and the next time you look, *poof* they're gone.

Although my friend is elderly and doesn't drive much (I often take her on errands when I visit) she too has commented that West Islip "seems to be getting pretty dingy lately" and I'm wondering if anyone who is familiar with the area has any idea why this is happening.

I find it particularly puzzling because West Islip is bordered by Babylon Village and downtown Bay Shore, both of which not only have no trouble attracting and keeping retail tenants but in fact Bay Shore is positively booming: New restaurants and shops have literally opened up one after another during the past two years. It almost seems as if Bay Shore is on the upswing while West Islip may be starting on a downward slide.

Any insight from residents here? Just curious as to what (if anything) is happening in the community.

My friend is beginning to wonder if this is the earliest sign of a general downturn in the quality of the community as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
My fiance lives right near the pizzeria that burned down. When we drive around the town, I notice all the empty stores and some lots. I hear good things about WI, but it sure doesn't look that nice in certain parts. And this is the southern part of WI, which is the nicer side of town.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Stop n Shop has purchased all of the empty stores on that strip and will be building a Super Stop and Shop in its place. There seems to be a problem getting rid of the liquor store, though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,875 times
Default West Islip is nothing great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance lives right near the pizzeria that burned down. When we drive around the town, I notice all the empty stores and some lots. I hear good things about WI, but it sure doesn't look that nice in certain parts. And this is the southern part of WI, which is the nicer side of town.
I know West Islip pretty well and in my opinion it is over rated.

If you thought the areas in the southern part of WI weren't so nice, try driving through the northern parts of WI.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
yeah, but then I drove through an area of North Babylon yesterday and thought it looked worse.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I find it particularly puzzling because West Islip is bordered by Babylon Village and downtown Bay Shore ...
The Hamlet of West Islip is bordered by the Village of Babylon and the Hamlet of North Babylon on the west and the Hamlet of West Bay Shore, not the Hamlet of Bay Shore, on the east. (The Hamlet of West Islip does border a small portion of the Hamlet of Bay Shore in its extreme northeast section, but its main east border is with the Hamlet of West Bay shore.)

Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,578 times
WI is nothing hot. I was looking aroung the area before I bought and people definitely look down their nose depending on where you're from and where you're looking. Small properties, smaller houses and much bigger prices. No thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,018 times
Stop in shop is waiting to rebuild itself into a super stop in shop on union

as for the ford dealer.....they sold out and a walgreens was supposed to go in that lot along with the la grange inn but that was put to a halt because the community would not allow the historical site to be moved and petitioned it.....

these properties are not abandoned but in the process of building and expanding......

the moose lodge on the other hand has been sitting like that for years....I guess its private prop so its allowed, which it is definately an eye sore and a dangerous location....

I'm not sure what people think or expect of west islip.....yes we have good schools, and we do have small and large properties and smaller homes? not sure where you're getting that info....every town has its good and bad

People outside seem to build up this idea of the town....not those who live here.....its a nice town, good schools, great childrens sports/activities and a sense of community......I don't believe people here are stuck up.....are there those.....yeh but they are everywhere.....

We just sold our home here......not because we wanted out of west islip but off the island.....my husband and I both grew up here in west islip and have raised 3 boys in elementary and middle and i couldnt be happier with the education and activities/opportunities they have gotten.....I will say that the taxes are ridiculously high here though....

Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I haven't driven in WI north of Sunrise Highway for several years but I do remember that end of Higbie Lane being more run-down looking than the southern part even then.

When I visit my friend I either come in from the west end by taking Rte 231 south from Southern State, or from the east end by taking Robert Moses Causeway to Montauk Highway.

IMO the only part of WI that is "above average" are the streets south of Montauk Hwy, especially those located south of the library and the CVS. The houses there are not row upon row of "cookie cutter" type. There are even a few very lovely vintage houses. About a year or so ago my friend wanted to find a bayfront house that was in one of the Real Estate Magazine ads and priced at almost 5 million dollars (!). So we drove up and down the south of Montauk streets until we found it. It had a spectacular view of the bay but was only on a half acre and we both agreed that while there are many houses in south WI that sell for 1 million or more, to expect to get 5 million for that house was purely ridiculous. We often wonder if it ever sold and if so, for how much! It's in the Magoun Landing section if I recall correctly.

There are also some streets south of Montauk that have very small houses, almost cottages or bungalows, so not all in that area are big. I'm sure that, large or small, big asset of all those houses is that they're on canals and the owners can have their boat at their doorstep.

My friend lives in the "Parkwood" section which is just north of Montauk Highway. And yes the taxes in all of WI are horrendous. She gets the Enhanced STAR because of her age and income and often says that's the only reason she can afford to continue living there. Her son wanted to stay in West Islip but he wanted more property than the 1/4 or 1/3 acre that makes up almost all of it. The only areas that have the 1/2 acre that he wanted (in order to have a pool and a large backyard left over, as well as for privacy) are in the Magoun Landing section that I mentioned before, and there was no way that he could afford to buy anything there.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Hamlet of West Islip is bordered by the Village of Babylon and the Hamlet of North Babylon on the west and the Hamlet of West Bay Shore, not the Hamlet of Bay Shore, on the east. (The Hamlet of West Islip does border a small portion of the Hamlet of Bay Shore in its extreme northeast section, but its main east border is with the Hamlet of West Bay shore.)
Thanks Walter, I do know that they don't actually "touch" but I was thinking along the lines of comparing commercial/business districts in West Islip, Babylon, and Bay Shore.

If you travel along Montauk Highway from west to east, you will first drive through the business district of Babylon, then enter some of the business district of West Islip, and then after that it's all residential (other than the hospital, St John's school, and varioius doctor's offices) until you enter the westernmost end of the business district of Bay Shore.

Geographically, though, yes, the east end of West Islip "touches" the west end of West Bay Shore. Then the east end of West Bay SHore "touches" the west end of Brightwaters. Lastly the east end of Brightwaters "touches" the west end of Bay Shore.

There is no commercial or business property along Montauk Highway between the West Islip line and the Bay Shore line though. With the exception of the country club and the Brightwaters Library, it's all residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island