Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Lake Grove has housing for all different incomes...very small homes, extremely large homes, and everything in the middle. I find it to be somewhat unique that it really does include all different income ranges. There are a lot of improvements that are being made to the area: new retail construction and a new roundabout planned for the five corners area...should be nice, if they do it right (being managed by the Town of Brookhaven).
Alot of the local towns are doing this. Frequently you will find homes built in the 60's-80's and then a new block built in the last 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Alot of the local towns are doing this.
Lake Grove is a village, not a town.

The Village of Lake Grove has a different border than does the "Lake Grove, NY 11755" ZIP Code postal zone (there are places that have "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lake Grove and there are places in the Village of Lake Grove with other than a "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address): places that have a "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lake Grove are in the Hamlet of Nesconset, the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma and the Hamlet of Centereach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lake Grove that have a "Nesconset, NY 11767" mailing address.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Lake Grove is a village, not a town.

The Village of Lake Grove has a different border than does the "Lake Grove, NY 11755" ZIP Code postal zone (there are places that have "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lake Grove and there are places in the Village of Lake Grove with other than a "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address): places that have a "Lake Grove, NY 11755" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lake Grove are in the Hamlet of Nesconset, the Hamlet of Lake Ronkonkoma and the Hamlet of Centereach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lake Grove that have a "Nesconset, NY 11767" mailing address.
Is Selden a town? Centereach? I just stated alot of towns are doing this.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Is Selden a town? Centereach?
No, they are not towns.

Selden and Centereach are hamlets in the Town of Brookhaven.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,466 times
Quote:
No, they are not towns.

Selden and Centereach are hamlets in the Town of Brookhaven.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

And yet if you ask 99.999999% of Long Islanders (in fact if you ask ANY Long Islander except Walter) what town they live in, they will say Centereach or Hicksville or Commack, etc.... NO Long Islander would say "I live in the town of Brookhaven, Hamlet of Centereach". As always, Walter writes to justify his existence instead of adding to the conversation.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
And yet if you ask 99.999999% of Long Islanders (in fact if you ask ANY Long Islander except Walter) what town they live in, they will say Centereach or Hicksville or Commack, etc.... NO Long Islander would say "I live in the town of Brookhaven, Hamlet of Centereach". As always, Walter writes to justify his existence instead of adding to the conversation.

True, but I think 'Hamlet of _____' sounds so cute and charming. The people for whom I volunteer at a local trust actually do use the correct terminology; it's ingrained given all the paperwork they submit to various levels of government.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
True, but I think 'Hamlet of _____' sounds so cute and charming. The people for whom I volunteer at a local trust actually do use the correct terminology; it's ingrained given all the paperwork they submit to various levels of government.
If you were to go to the mall and poll 100 people and ask what town they live in, how many would say "Town of Brookhaven, Hamlet of Selden"? I say no one would say that, unless they are related to Walter.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
If you were to go to the mall and poll 100 people and ask what town they live in, how many would say "Town of Brookhaven, Hamlet of Selden"? I say no one would say that, unless they are related to Walter.

What part of where I agreed was so difficult to comprehend?
I even wrote it in one word: true.

I only added the trust people because they have to deal with the government for grants, and part of their grant writing requires "Walterizing" the area.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I only added the trust people because they have to deal with the government for grants, and part of their grant writing requires "Walterizing" the area.
I've become a verb?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
Quote:
I've become a verb?
Walter...I think you are more than a verb around here. Im sure there are those that could find a noun to describe you or what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island