U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,213 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Germany!

My husband, 1 year old son and I are moving to LI this coming Jan. My husband will be working in Freeport. I would be very greatfull for some help in finding a safe neighborhood to live and in an area where the driving commute is under 15 minutes (if possible, because we will only have one car).

An area with lots of small children and a park would be nice, and where it may be possible to get around by walking or with public transportation to do the shopping ect.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,
ddorf17
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 26,930,054 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Freeport

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may prove helpful to you in understanding LI's geographic organization.

The Hamlet of Baldwin and the Hamlet of Merrick, immediately to the west and east, respectively, of the Village of Freeport, could satisfy your requirements.

For those who may not be familiar with Freeport:

Freeport is a village (incorporated in 1892) in the south-center part of the Town of Hempstead, in the south-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Freeport is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Roosevelt; on the east by the Hamlet of Merrick; on the south by the Hamlet of Merrick and the East Channel; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor and the Hamlet of Baldwin.

The Village of Freeport has a different border than does the "Freeport, NY 11520" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address and not be in the Village of Freeport): places with a "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address that are not in the Village of Freeport are in the Hamlet of Merrick, the Hamlet of Roosevelt and the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM

9,487 posts, read 20,497,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorf17 View Post
Greetings from Germany!

My husband, 1 year old son and I are moving to LI this coming Jan. My husband will be working in Freeport. I would be very greatfull for some help in finding a safe neighborhood to live and in an area where the driving commute is under 15 minutes (if possible, because we will only have one car).

An area with lots of small children and a park would be nice, and where it may be possible to get around by walking or with public transportation to do the shopping ect.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,
ddorf17
Welcome to Long Island . Or should I say "herzlich willkommen"

I don't know what town you're leaving behind (judging by your "ID", I'm tempted to say Duesseldorf...). I'm a transplant from Germany myself, and find Long Island to be a great place!

You'll get plenty of input from members of this forum. I'll try to add my two cents

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 14,083,739 times
Welcome to Long Island

All depends on your income/budget. We'll need a little more information.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,213 times
Thank you so far for the responses, yes we are coming from Düsseldorf.
Here is a little more detail, we are looking for an apartment max. 2,500 incl. util.

For me, it would be fantastic if I could find a place where it is easy to come in contact with other mothers with young children, and getting around without a car is easy.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,922,337 times
Merrick is the next town over from Freeport. Merrick has excellent schools and lots of shopping. If you find a rental near Merrick Ave or Merrick Road, you can walk to all kinds of stores. Merrick is a great community with lots of families with small children.

//www.city-data.com/city/Merrick-New-York.html

IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN: MERRICK - New York Times

These are just a couple of sites that have info on Merrick.

Good Luck.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Merrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Merrick is the next town over from Freeport. Merrick has excellent schools and lots of shopping. If you find a rental near Merrick Ave or Merrick Road, you can walk to all kinds of stores. Merrick is a great community with lots of families with small children.

When looking at places in the Hamlet of Merrick, it is important to be aware that about one of every three places that have a "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address (3,860 acres) are NOT in the Hamlet of Merrick (2,647 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Merrick:

Merrick is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-south part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central-south part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Merrick in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Merrick and the Hamlet of North Bellmore; on the east by the Hamlet of Bellmore; on the south by the East Bay and Merrick Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Freeport.

The Hamlet of Merrick has a different border than does the "Merrick, NY 11566" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Merrick, NY 11566" address and not be in the Hamlet of Merrick and a place can be in the Hamlet of Merrick and have other than a "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address): places that have a "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Merrick are in the Hamlet of North Merrick and the Hamlet of North Bellmore; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Merrick that have a "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 11-23-2008, 04:46 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,612,458 times
Merrick is nice, and has a lot of young families and good schools. I don't know about apartments there, rather than houses.

It is very tough to get around without a car on LI--your neighbors will probably think you're nuts. The train is mainly useful for going to/from the city. I would consider trying to go two-car at some point.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,630,174 times
Rockville Centre might work. Lots of apartment options (nice ones in your price range) and there is a walkable downtown area with pretty much any shopping you would need. It's 15 minutes or less west of Freeport, just a quick drive down Sunrise Highway. School district is very highly regarded.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:30 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Rockville Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Rockville Centre might work. Lots of apartment options (nice ones in your price range) and there is a walkable downtown area with pretty much any shopping you would need. It's 15 minutes or less west of Freeport, just a quick drive down Sunrise Highway. School district is very highly regarded.

For those who may not be familiar with Rockville Centre:

Rockville Centre is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the center of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Rockville Centre in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Lakeview and the Hamlet of South Hempstead; on the east by the Hamlet of South Hempstead and the Hamlet of Baldwin; on the south by the Hamlet of Oceanside; and, on the west by the Village of East Rockaway, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Rockville-centre-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Village of Rockville Centre has a different border than does the "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address and not be in the Village of Rockville Centre): places that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address that are not in the Village of Rockville Centre are in the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island