U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 56,787 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are interested in buying a home in Long Island. First comparison Valley Stream or West Hempstead??????? We are in our 30's no kids yet but school district is important. We also both work in Manhattan so commute time is important.

Any suggestions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

151 posts, read 515,783 times
SD 24 in VS is good. I would suggest looking at homes in south VS. More towards lynbrook.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,283,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arangoa79 View Post
SD 24 in VS is good. I would suggest looking at homes in south VS. More towards lynbrook.
The "Westwood" area of Valley Stream is very nice. But watch out: a sliver of it falls within the incorporated village of Malverne, so you pay higher Malverne taxes while having a Valley Stream mailing address and school district.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM

73 posts, read 281,527 times
I'm pretty much you (wife, no kids, low 30's) and live in Valley Stream SD 13 near the parks. We really like the area and actually moved from one house in VS to a new larger one in VS this past spring. The commute from here is 35-40 minutes on LIRR and it being a hub, there's a train in the AM every 10-15 minutes which we love since we're always late! VS is more diverse than WH (which we prefer so when we have children, they are exposed to different ethnicities and cultures) so take that into consideration.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,829,510 times
Valley Stream, either SD 24 or 13. VS is an easy commute to NYC, plus it is a well-kept area with amenities such as a park with a pool, walking/biking trail, etc., for residents, a good library, excellent shopping, and a well-run Village.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,274,438 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Valley Stream or West Hempstead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess22 View Post
First comparison Valley Stream or West Hempstead???????

Well, first things, first: Valley Stream is a village (a municipal corporation) and West Hempstead is a hamlet (an unincorporated area).

Second, you should be aware that about half the places that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" mailing address (4,309 acres) are NOT in the Village of Valley Stream (2,258 acres), while about one-quarter of the places that have a "West Hempstead, NY 11552" (2,512 acres) mailing address are NOT in the Hamlet of West Hempstead (1,849 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Valley Stream or West Hempstead:

Valley Stream is a village (incorporated in 1925) in the western part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County, along the Nassau County/New York City (County/Borough of Queens) line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Valley Stream in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; on the east by the Village of Malverne, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Hewlett; on the south by the Hamlet of Hewlett, the Hamlet of Woodmere and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream; and, on the west by the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and New York City (County/Borough of Queens).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Valley-stream-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Valley Stream is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream and the Hamlet of South Valley Stream.

West Hempstead is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of West Hempstead in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Garden City South and the Village of Garden City; on the east by the Village of Hempstead; on the south by the Hamlet of Lakeview and the Hamlet of Malverne Park-Oaks; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Franklin Square.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/West-hempstead-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of West Hempstead has a different border than does the "West Hempstead, NY 11552" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "West Hempstead, NY 11552" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of West Hempstead): places that have a "West Hempstead, NY 11552" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of West Hempstead are in the Hamlet of Franklin Square, the Hamlet of Garden City South and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM

893 posts, read 2,734,931 times
Valley Stream, but I may be biased.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 9,986,889 times
IMO, Valley Stream

Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 AM

12 posts, read 56,787 times
Wow, seems like VS won. The house we were looking at in W. Hempstead falls into the Malverne SD. Does anyone know about the Malverne SD?I agree with all your comments we are definitely drawn to VS SD13 especially the area around the park. My agent took us out to WH but I wasn't sold on the area or SD.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,260 times
I also would consider Valley Stream for your commute to work, and I would reccomend School District 13 or 24 just like the others above stated. They're both really nice towns; good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island