Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,446,701 times

Advertisements

The legislation that seems to be talked about is more stringent security measures, and not some of the other stuff that is being dicussed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Ok so how would they do that? Tell you what you can advertise? how are you going to regulate this issue without going too far? Only a certain amount of people are allowed to show up? I think the best way is to set the amount of security staff by crowd population. for every 50 people yo have two guards and so on. Just using those numbers as an example.

Since the Walmart had signs saying "blitz, this way" outside the store in question, I'd say...maybe that kind of advertising? Encouraging people to be out of control?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Since the Walmart had signs saying "blitz, this way" outside the store in question, I'd say...maybe that kind of advertising? Encouraging people to be out of control?
So you really think the word "Blitz" had any affect on how these people acted?

Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM

187 posts, read 863,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
How about a little common sense? I know it's shocking that we have gotten to a point where we're too stupid to enter a store properly without killing someone, but I'd like to think that in light of this horrible tragedy most folks will show a little restraint in the future. I really don't think there need to be laws that tell people the right way to walk through a door and wait in line, seems like a big waste of time and a big photo op for whatever politician is supporting it.
Couldn't agree more.

and here we go again, in this case blaming the store for the actions of individuals. People need to be held responsible for their own actions. "Oh it's not OUR fault! the sign said blitz so we didn't do anything wrong! the store should have had more security.. They didn't tell us NOT to break the doors down, so it's their fault.." Puh-leese..

It's sad that we've come to the point where we need to literally break the doors down to get into a walmart just to buy a bunch of crap at a slightly reduced price.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,465,890 times
Quote:
That would work fine for individual items. but I feel the whole premise behind the "doorbuster" is that everything in the store is on sale. How many bracelets are you going to hand out? .
They would be handing out the vouchers for the major items that the maniacs show up for ---- the 42" TVs, the game systems. Hand out the vouchers/bracelets for those. Once those people have entered the store, bought those items and left, they can let the rest of the loonies in.

The problem is that a store will advertise (for example) at $1500 television for $500 or a $400 game system for $250. The store will only have 25 of each item on hand (and they know this MONTHS in advance). Everyone who is on the line to get these items will bum rush once the doors are opened so they can run to the electronics section and get the item. It doesn't matter if you were 1st on line or 30th on line.... it boils down to whoever can run the fastest. Hence, the idea of the vouchers/wristbands.

And, no, this is NOT an isolated incident. The death, maybe. However, EVERY YEAR, you hear stories about people getting trampled, hurt, etc in these "black friday" fiascos....

Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The legislation that seems to be talked about is more stringent security measures, and not some of the other stuff that is being dicussed here.

The proposed legislation (that is still being drafted) will cover "crowd control" as I mentioned in an earlier post and I'm about 98% sure it will cover how the stores can advertise the "must have" items.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,022 times
Right so what happens when they go to hand out the vouchers? Trampled and dead are two very different things. ARRON couldn't agree more. Instead of individual responsibility we'll have to pass a law. Unbelievable.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:11 PM

25 posts, read 121,938 times
While I agree that people should be held accountable for their actions, these stores have an obligation to maintain safety and order. Every year the lines, sales and insanity that have become Black Friday have gotten progressively worse. While this tragedy was the first time it has gotten this out of control, based on the increased frenzy surrounding "sales" and "must have" items, it was only a matter of time before the minor injuries became this disgrace.
If I was to walk into a crowded movie theater and shout "fire" I could be arrested for inciting a riot. How is what these companies are doing any different?
They should be required to be capable of controlling the crowds they are enticing into their stores or be closed by the fire marshal. End of story!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Right so what happens when they go to hand out the vouchers? .
I guess you just want to see problems and complain about them rather than seeing a solution or an opportunity to change & improve things.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkss1419 View Post
If I was to walk into a crowded movie theater and shout "fire" I could be arrested for inciting a riot. How is what these companies are doing any different?
That's an excellent analogy. Someone who shouts "fire" in a theatre or other crowd situation is and should be arrested for creating a situation where people's emotions are likely to overrule their common sense and cause physical harm to others. In the case of a fire, it's panic or fear. In the case of these stupid Black Friday sales, it's something else. But you're right: If these stores are going to create a situation where mob-mentality emotion has a good chance of overriding civilized behavior, then it IS no different from the yelling-fire scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the majority of the blame is on the shoulders of the customers (no one held a gun to their head and MADE them act like desert animals stampeding toward a water hole). But if the retailers are going to deliberately create a situation that has the potential for people to get hurt, then they have a moral responsibility to do everything they can to avoid that possibility. Not just paying for one or two rent-a-cops to stand next to a door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: