Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 08:12 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitg View Post
What you aren't understanding, just like so many on this thread before you, things all changed in 2012 in the NY metro area. They rolled out NextGen. Satellite base navigation rather than ground based radar. What this did was condense all dispersion routes for each airport, into super-highways in the sky. This achieved a few things. Less delays (which is highly debatable), more money for airlines because they are able to get more departures and landings, and more direct routes (which is odd if you have ever looked at a map of planes that land into JFK using the Arc of Doom).

What the FAA never cared about, and still don't care about, is the fact that by compressing all of these various flight paths into one, the people who live under this newly created path, are going to take close to 100% of the flights in and out of these airports. Great for people who now no longer hear planes once in a while on the old paths, but absolutely devastating for those under these new paths.

The downsides to living under a newly designed NextGen flight path are too many to mention here, but I can personally say that listening to planes, 1500 feet above your world every 30 seconds is truly torture.

So, as you stated before, people didn't knowingly purchase a home under an existing path. They didn't even purchase a home, and then had a flight path moved over their home. What actually happened was, people lived and bought homes in an area where the FCC built the busiest highway above their home. Not just one or two planes a day. We are talking 60 planes an hour for 24 hrs in a row with no rest.
I know what NexGen is. It is GPS based using ADS-B, and not VOR based. I use the ATC system, but rarely land at a Class Bravo. So do you want modern, and safer Air Traffic Control able to handle large volumes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I never said to do anything with them.
Just for people to be outside with them.
Yes we know exactly what you meant.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/lasers/

The violators will go to prison, not jail, for it. I can't stress enough how serious it is and even making the suggestion is just downright stupid.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:19 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Everyone should be outside with laser pointers.
Not cool. As Wheelsup said that is really Efffed up with very serious consequences.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 PM

19,989 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Like anybody even listens to me.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 AM

983 posts, read 720,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
While life sucks for those people,
This isn't acceptable in a civilized society.

Quote:
they bought homes near one of the largest and busiest air travel designations in the WORLD, not even the US.
This isn't just NYC. The below areas are also being affected by Nextgen. (Thanks to Misfit for keeping a record on this forum)

Maryland (suing)
Phoenix (sued and won)
Montgomery County, MD (suing)
Washington metro area
Santa Cruz, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach, CA
Orange County, CA
Culver City, CA
Minneapolis
Milton, MA
Quincy, MA
Hull, MA

Quote:
Nowhere was it written the FAA won't change arrivals/departures.
It's been that way for decades, the airports haven't moved, they have always been and there and will always be there.
For the past 6 months or so there were no airplanes flying above us. It obviously worked just fine. Why not keep it that way?

Quote:
It's a ridiculous thought to have but one I'm not surprised about in this "I will sue for anything" snowflake society.
It's not "anything". Some are saying this ruined their lives. You can see videos of people crying because of this.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:23 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
it really freaking pisses me off to no end when some of these posters say the airport was there before you bought a house.

and while that statement is true, HOWEVER THE FLIGHT PATHS WERE NOT OVER MY HOME WHEN I BOUGHT IT.
IN FACT THE FLIGHT PATH WASNT OVER MY HOME FOR OVER 25 YEARS.

SO NEWS FLASH TO YOU BUNCH OF IDIOTS THAT KEEP SAYING DONT LIVE NEAR AN AIRPORT,
WELL AGAIN,

I DONT LIVE NEAR A FREAKING GOD DAM AIRPORT.

again, how many time do we have to say this.

the faa changed the flight paths and did so without public knowledge.

I wish all the posters that have made fun of us, by either calling us babies, or whatever. I wish anyone that made fun of us would have to listen to airplanes every 30 seconds for the rest of thier lives,

then come talk to me.

and while my post might get me banned, I am so pissed that there are posters that do nothing on this thread but harass us.

and we know they have something to do with the airlines.

another wish that i have would be for Mr Michael Heurta to have to listen to airplanes buzzing in his head for the rest of his life.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-28-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM

19,989 posts, read 20,683,019 times
I suffered through the traffic from I guess JFK.
The last few years in my prior home were extremely annoying.
More so at night. Friggin planes would be passing over while we were watching tv and we would constantly have to turn the volume up and then down again.
We totally noticed the increase in traffic the last few years living there.

Our solution was to move nowhere near an airport.
We didn’t move just because of the air traffic noise but it was definitely high on the list of reasons to get out of Dodge.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
it really freaking pisses me off to no end when some of these posters say the airport was there before you bought a house.

and while that statement is true, HOWEVER THE FLIGHT PATHS WERE NOT OVER MY HOME WHEN I BOUGHT IT.
IN FACT THE FLIGHT PATH WASNT OVER MY HOME FOR OVER 25 YEARS.

SO NEWS FLASH TO YOU BUNCH OF IDIOTS THAT KEEP SAYING DONT LIVE NEAR AN AIRPORT,
WELL AGAIN,

I DONT LIVE NEAR A FREAKING GOD DAM AIRPORT.

again, how many time do we have to say this.

the faa changed the flight paths and did so without public knowledge.

I wish all the posters that have made fun of us, by either calling us babies, or whatever. I wish anyone that made fun of us would have to listen to airplanes every 30 seconds for the rest of thier lives,

then come talk to me.

and while my post might get me banned, I am so pissed that there are posters that do nothing on this thread but harass us.

and we know they have something to do with the airlines.

another wish that i have would be for Mr Michael Heurta to have to listen to airplanes buzzing in his head for the rest of his life.
You are 10 miles away from LGA if you are in Brooklyn, that is close in aviation terms. Sorry, you've lost all credibility from me when you say something like that.

Nextgen actually reduces the noise print significantly from where it was before. Aircraft are kept higher for longer and extended out over unpopulated areas before getting climbs. It's extremely inefficient and adds several hundred dollars per flight in fuel costs in even smaller narrow body equipment. It's most definitely not for the airlines to save money.

"Runied lives" is beyond a gross embellishment. They moved near an airport and can move away from it!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
This isn't acceptable in a civilized society.

This isn't just NYC. The below areas are also being affected by Nextgen. (Thanks to Misfit for keeping a record on this forum)

Maryland (suing)
Phoenix (sued and won)
Montgomery County, MD (suing)
Washington metro area
Santa Cruz, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Laguna Beach, CA
Orange County, CA
Culver City, CA
Minneapolis
Milton, MA
Quincy, MA
Hull, MA

For the past 6 months or so there were no airplanes flying above us. It obviously worked just fine. Why not keep it that way?

It's not "anything". Some are saying this ruined their lives. You can see videos of people crying because of this.
As I stated above Nextgen actually reduces the noise impact from aircraft. It does so at a fairly high cost in dollar terms. Just because you weren't effected before doesn't mean others were not.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM

983 posts, read 720,267 times
Quote:
Just because you weren't effected before doesn't mean others were not.
During that period I didn't see anyone complaining here.
It'd be a matter of checking the Port Authority complaint records to be sure, but my feeling is that they certainly CAN keep a route like they did for many months during this year and they won't hear people complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island