Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 AM

33 posts, read 31,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Where do you think they are flying, based on your description the jets would be on a final approach not 30 miles out from JFK or LGA?
With Nextgen the jets fly at much lower altitudes from further away. For example on Sunday the jets were passing over Huntington at about 2000 feet altitude. You can check out the flight paths and altitudes on this link ( https://webtrak.emsbk.com/panynj4 ) Click on the history tab and set the date to Sunday at 12:00 noon and you will see the jets at 2000 feet 30 miles away from the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM

983 posts, read 725,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERESA GINTER View Post
SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING!!!
Nobody will do anything unless you do something.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:51 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the sandtrap View Post
With Nextgen the jets fly at much lower altitudes from further away. For example on Sunday the jets were passing over Huntington at about 2000 feet altitude. You can check out the flight paths and altitudes on this link ( https://webtrak.emsbk.com/panynj4 ) Click on the history tab and set the date to Sunday at 12:00 noon and you will see the jets at 2000 feet 30 miles away from the airport.
I saw a bunch joining the final for 22's at 2000'-3000' over Huntington.. That's pretty normal due to a 10-15 mile final. That is no where near 30 miles away.

Where are you looking specifically?

Old 02-25-2019, 05:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
I did look and they are 3000ft and up in altitude except for 1 small prop plane (Cessna)

Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 AM

33 posts, read 31,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I saw a bunch joining the final for 22's at 2000'-3000' over Huntington.. That's pretty normal due to a 10-15 mile final. That is no where near 30 miles away.

Where are you looking specifically?
Wait so you think Huntington is only 10-15 miles from JFK? The center of Huntington is 24.21 ( https://www.distance-cities.com/dist...gton-ny-to-jfk ) miles from JFK traveling in a straight line but many of the planes were passing Huntington traveling West and North West some flying up by Lloyd Neck before making their turn SW towards the 22's so they had to fly at least 30 miles to get to JFK. Using the standard glide slope in aviation of 300 feet per mile, at 30 miles away the planes should be at 9,000 feet (30 * 300) even at 25 miles they should be at 7,500 feet. While planes may be higher or lower due to traffic or terrain it was a rarity before NEXTGEN that a plane would be at 2000 feet 30 miles away from JFK.

Unlike many of the people in this thread I see both positives and negatives of NEXTGEN. We should be using technology to make travel as efficient and safe as possible but I can also understand the people 30 miles away from airport now having a concentrated line of planes passing over at 2000 feet being upset. Yes you could argue if you buy anywhere near a vicinity of airport this could happen but it was not happening like this before NEXTGEN. I don't really know what the answer is.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Wait so you think Huntington is only 10-15 miles from JFK? The center of Huntington is 24.21 ( https://www.distance-cities.com/dist...gton-ny-to-jfk ) miles from JFK traveling in a straight line but many of the planes were passing Huntington traveling West and North West some flying up by Lloyd Neck before making their turn SW towards the 22's so they had to fly at least 30 miles to get to JFK. Using the standard glide slope in aviation of 300 feet per mile, at 30 miles away the planes should be at 9,000 feet (30 * 300) even at 25 miles they should be at 7,500 feet. While planes may be higher or lower due to traffic or terrain it was a rarity before NEXTGEN that a plane would be at 2000 feet 30 miles away from JFK.

Unlike many of the people in this thread I see both positives and negatives of NEXTGEN. We should be using technology to make travel as efficient and safe as possible but I can also understand the people 30 miles away from airport now having a concentrated line of planes passing over at 2000 feet being upset. Yes you could argue if you buy anywhere near a vicinity of airport this could happen but it was not happening like this before NEXTGEN. I don't really know what the answer is.
The airplanes going north were at 4000' and above...

ATC is not a video game, it's extremely complex. Especially that area of the country, with three major airports and numerous busy satellite fields such as Teterbroro, Islip and Westchester.

You can't just descend folks on a 3:1, there are so many other factors at play, probably the biggest impact you are feeling now is simply traffic growth. The more aircraft in line to land the longer the final will be.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sized Kahuna View Post
You assume planes to be descending when they pass your house. They could be in a holding pattern with altitudes determined by the amount and location of traffic.

Where there are airports, there are planes.
The don't typically hold commercial traffic at that point on an arrival. Generally you are held 30-50 miles away at the approach gates above 10k.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna Du Jour View Post
-the location in question here is ~ 30 miles away

-hold altitude is generally up to 6000 feet

-they could be in a stack - in this area it's not far-fetched given the traffic
It's not what is happening.

How long have you been an airline pilot? I've got three transport category types and 15 years in. I was even based in NY for a time period.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
What makes you so sure? Enlighten me. What is happening?

I never said I was.

Which affects this conversation how, exactly?
Go back a few pages and click the link with the historical flow back during the time period mentioned, Sunday at noon.

Or did you just jump into this conversation because you think you know it all?

I already told you what is happening, they are joining a long final.

Did you delete your previous username and start another? I noticed the posts I quoted under the other name are now deleted. Weirdo.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You should probably ask yourself that question.

My comment was in response to a descent rate calculation. It wasn't directed at you either.

Do you like being a myopic talking turd? It suits you well.
I explained it. Due to airspace complexity and numerous airports all around. I did a tower/approach tour back years ago, it was eye opening. Learned a lot.

I'm taking my time to explain it to you yet you disregard, ignore, and delete user names and ask me to repeat myself.

PS I've been posting in this thread since 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island