Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2016, 09:34 AM

68 posts, read 76,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My grandparents lived in Rockaway Beach across the bay from JFK when I was a kid. On the 10th floor of their building, I could get an up close and personal view of the planes going by and the noise was a constant, but if you live there you know what you're dealing with.

When we bought in GC 18 years ago, we knew there would be planes flying over. It was not a big deal. It was not that frequent and it was not that noisy. I had a (very) elderly neighbor across the street who was the FAA's worst enemy, he complained constantly and we were like "this is not a big deal" (he actually probably did pre-date the airport, LOL).
Fast forward 10 years and all of a sudden the situation became completely out of control.
THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. You can't say "oh come on, you live near the airport, you have to realize what you're getting into". First of all I live way closer to the airport here in NC than I did in NY and I see/hear a plane over my house once every few months. In fact when we moved here it was months before we saw one and my kids were like "is there an airport near here?" First time we went to the airport they were like "it's this close?!" Second of all, it is the CHANGE in the noise level and frequency that people are dealing with that is bothersome.
I have to be honest, when we sold our house, we put it on the market in April and I was very nervous about the house not selling before summer, because standing out in the yard or even in the house with windows open, I knew it would affect the sale and/or the price.
OK, so be honest. Did it affect the sale and/or price of your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
Quote:
My grandparents lived in Rockaway Beach across the bay from JFK when I was a kid. On the 10th floor of their building, I could get an up close and personal view of the planes going by and the noise was a constant, but if you live there you know what you're dealing with.

When we bought in GC 18 years ago, we knew there would be planes flying over. It was not a big deal. It was not that frequent and it was not that noisy. I had a (very) elderly neighbor across the street who was the FAA's worst enemy, he complained constantly and we were like "this is not a big deal" (he actually probably did pre-date the airport, LOL).
Fast forward 10 years and all of a sudden the situation became completely out of control.
THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. You can't say "oh come on, you live near the airport, you have to realize what you're getting into". First of all I live way closer to the airport here in NC than I did in NY and I see/hear a plane over my house once every few months. In fact when we moved here it was months before we saw one and my kids were like "is there an airport near here?" First time we went to the airport they were like "it's this close?!" Second of all, it is the CHANGE in the noise level and frequency that people are dealing with that is bothersome.
I have to be honest, when we sold our house, we put it on the market in April and I was very nervous about the house not selling before summer, because standing out in the yard or even in the house with windows open, I knew it would affect the sale and/or the price.
I'm conflicted about the whole thing. I hear what you're saying, and I find the noise really frustrating at times, but comparing your airport in NC to the NYC airspace is not totally fair.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
OK, so be honest. Did it affect the sale and/or price of your home?
Well, Mike I have no idea about that. It did sell in a week with a bidding war, but I think we've established that there are enough fools buying houses on Long Island, haven't we? All to my benefit though, so no worries.

The point I was making, Mike, is that if it had gone on into summer (and honestly, I never did worry about that too much) it would have/could have been a problem because that's when you really notice the plane noise. When you're selling a near-million dollar home, it's easy to worry about things that wouldn't seem so significant at other times.

And the poster who said he was thinking of selling and getting out doesn't seem too worried about it either...he'll get some city sucker or some "I have to live in my family's pocket" LIer to buy it, and then they'll be on this post next year or the year after complaining as well. But like I said - I got my price and got out. I was just responding to gibson station, who seems to be a person who likes reasonable discourse and makes good contributions to this forum.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I'm conflicted about the whole thing. I hear what you're saying, and I find the noise really frustrating at times, but comparing your airport in NC to the NYC airspace is not totally fair.
Why? Of course we are only dealing with one (international) airport here, but the point everyone is making here is that if you choose to live near an airport you should expect some noise. I bought my GC house knowing there'd be noise, and then all of a sudden NextGen comes along and it's like living in that apartment house in Rockaway. I don't think people are being unreasonable when they complain about such a change.

If I bought my house last summer and started complaining, that's just poor due diligence on my part.

Not only do I live closer to RDU than I did to JFK or LaGuardia, I used to work about 2 miles from the airport, under it's direct flight path, and the planes came in nowhere near as low as they did over my GC house. Something is drastically wrong with what they are doing in NY - airplane traffic did not increase that dramatically in the NY region over a 10 year period to do what they did with the air traffic. The only plane I actually ever noticed coming in for a landing at my last workplace was the Fedex heavy that came in around the time I would arrive at work. That's a sight to see, by the way.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:51 AM

50 posts, read 48,478 times
Newman... not worth the keystrokes/energy to respond to your nonsense. Let the adults converse...

Twingles and Gibson.. interesting points you make. I am scared about the prospects for a sale. Like you said, summer is the worst time with SW winds and low altitude flights... but maybe it's true that there are enough people who may not care. The planes that go over my home head straight to Garden City. Right now they are at 1800-2000 feet every 90 seconds (check it out on Webtrak - WebTrak).

Your point about there being more noise (and planes at lower altitudes) further from the airport then closer, is exactly my point. I didn't choose to live near an airport and the FAA shouldn't have the right to unilaterally, with no environmental studies, change flight paths that will affect millions across the country. I have no problems with 'some' planes over my home. But when it continues for 20-30-40 even 100+ hours without a minute of quiet... it does drive you nuts.... and is not fair. There should be equitable distribution of the flights...like there used to be. These new concentrated NextGen flight paths are horrible. There are 8 runway options for JFK, yet 22L which is the shortest, and the one that affects the most people with noise and pollution, and yet it is used more than all the others combined.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM

68 posts, read 76,616 times
Quote:
The point I was making, Mike, is that if it had gone on into summer (and honestly, I never did worry about that too much) it would have/could have been a problem because that's when you really notice the plane noise. When you're selling a near-million dollar home, it's easy to worry about things that wouldn't seem so significant at other times.
?

Quote:

Old 04-02-2016, 03:26 PM

55 posts, read 78,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs26bsbs View Post
Newman... not worth the keystrokes/energy to respond to your nonsense. Let the adults converse...

Twingles and Gibson.. interesting points you make. I am scared about the prospects for a sale. Like you said, summer is the worst time with SW winds and low altitude flights... but maybe it's true that there are enough people who may not care. The planes that go over my home head straight to Garden City. Right now they are at 1800-2000 feet every 90 seconds (check it out on Webtrak - WebTrak).

Your point about there being more noise (and planes at lower altitudes) further from the airport then closer, is exactly my point. I didn't choose to live near an airport and the FAA shouldn't have the right to unilaterally, with no environmental studies, change flight paths that will affect millions across the country. I have no problems with 'some' planes over my home. But when it continues for 20-30-40 even 100+ hours without a minute of quiet... it does drive you nuts.... and is not fair. There should be equitable distribution of the flights...like there used to be. These new concentrated NextGen flight paths are horrible. There are 8 runway options for JFK, yet 22L which is the shortest, and the one that affects the most people with noise and pollution, and yet it is used more than all the others combined.
We take solace in knowing that, for the next week, there will be strong NNW winds coming in that should provide some relief if ATC stick to 'wind protocols'.

Tonight should be swell. We deserve it after going on 4+ days of non-stop flights overhead.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs26bsbs View Post

T.
Put him on ignore. I did! Directions:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...e-feature.html

Old 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
airplanes? by the airport? what is the world coming to?

THE NERVE!
but if your paying attention, most of the people that are complaining about airplane noise, including me, do not live anywhere near airports. imagine that?

maybe you weren't paying attention too good, but the flight paths were changed............imagine that?

and because of this, we are all suffering un fairly.

what was that about an ignore button??????????/

Old 04-03-2016, 09:15 PM

577 posts, read 979,308 times
RE:
We take solace in knowing that, for the next week, there will be strong NNW winds coming in that should provide some relief if ATC stick to 'wind protocols'.

Tonight should be swell. We deserve it after going on 4+ days of non-stop flights overhead.

Unfortunately the faa ignores wind conditions and safety i favor of "operational efficiency" Here an example of a pilot questioning the decision to use JFK 22L due to the wind conditions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sQuHnrJu1I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island