Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,865,547 times

Advertisements

Berkeley Keep Jets Over the Bay Committee v. Board of Port Commissioners
Noise and chemical polutio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 07:50 AM

983 posts, read 720,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
It's written in lawyer's language.
Do you know what is it about?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,865,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
It's written in lawyer's language.
Do you know what is it about?
The judgment granting a peremptory writ of mandate is reversed in part and affirmed in part. We affirm the portion of the superior court's judgment directing that a revised EIR be prepared to include further discussion of project alternatives and cumulative impacts. However, we conclude that the EIR prepared for the ADP did not comply with CEQA in its treatment of several other critical issues. Specifically, the EIR: 1) failed to analyze adequately the noise impacts from planned additional nighttime flights; 2) erred in using outdated information in assessing the emission of toxic air contaminants (TAC's) from jet aircraft; 3) failed to support its decision not to evaluate the health risks associated with the emission of TAC's with meaningful analysis; and 4) improperly deferred devising a mitigation plan for the western burrowing owl.

Because there are several significant environmental issues that have not been adequately addressed in the EIR's discussion of potential impacts from the project, a new supplemental EIR must be prepared, submitted for public review and comment, and certified in accordance with CEQA. We therefore direct that the trial court issue a new writ of mandate in accordance with the views expressed herein.

Basically it is the Citizens of Berkeley sueing the Port of Oakland because they did not correctly do the EIR.

Shows what can be done. I am under an ILS for OAK and had planes every two minutes under 2500 feet. It really isn't about the noise of one plane. IT IS THE CONSTANT barrage of noise. The FAA guy would NOT return my calls because he was retiring and going to work for the Port!!!

The Port lied about everything including that the planes did not go DIRECTLY over my house. I had them monitor the noise and even tho I'm over 8 miles out I had the highest noise ANYWHERE even nest to the airport where the houses were retrofitted with windows and insulation.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:53 AM

I wonder if the nassau county government can organize a class action.
It doesn't make sense that you're doing this alone when thousands of us are in the same boat.
Isn'tthere a lawyer among us to whom we can pay so he/she organizes this?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:21 AM

50 posts, read 48,261 times
As I've claimed previously, people on Long Island are apathetic, ignorant and not very civic-minded. Our elected leaders are some of the most corrupt in the nation (see Ed Mangano). Sure there may be a letter written by some mayor or leader, but there's never any follow up. Never any real work done to help the people on the ground. I see Charlotte making progress, along with SF, DC and other cities. NY can't even get it's 'round-table' together. Something that was supposed to happen years ago to be the body that confronts the Port Auth and FAA.

For me, the 22L ILS approach to JFK has effectively destroyed my life and property value. The stress from the repetitive noise for 8-100 hours nonstop is incredible. Morons like Samyn who claim planes are silent can't begin to understand what it's like unless they live it. For anyone who doesn't 'get it' - Imagine the phone ringing in your house for 45 seconds, then there's 45 seconds of quiet. The individual phone ringing is not going to burst your eardrums. but then repeat that... 45 seconds ringing, 45 seconds quiet for 1 hours, or 8 hours or 100+ hours... non-stop. THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE. Then add in the factor the toxic pollution and the fact that the noise is LOUDER outside your home... and this is what NextGen is with the low altitude concentrated flight paths.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 AM

Right. But obviously just complaining about it won't do much.
Don't you think it's time to do something about it?

If there's a success story anywhere else in the country, like Washington DC I think, can't we hire the same person leading the " battle" there to fight for us?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:21 AM

50 posts, read 48,261 times
I don't think individuals can do much besides complain and join others in groups etc...
I've posted flyers at local LIRR stations and under neighbors doors... don't think it did much.
Send complaints to the FAA, PANYNJ, Schumer, Gillibrand, Mangano and anyone else.
Tweet to annoy our officials

Real change must come primarily from elected leaders or large, vocal, well organized groups.
Join PlaneSense for Long Island | Nassau Residents against FAA / PANYNJ airplane abuse and quietskies.net
These folks try but don't get very far.

I have no idea how Charlotte got changes - FAA dispersing Charlotte Douglas departures to scatter jet noise | The Charlotte Observer

Old 07-17-2016, 12:41 PM

From that link this is interesting to me:

"The city of Charlotte asked the FAA to send the departures on different paths after takeoff. That means more people will be exposed to noise, but fewer people are impacted by it repeatedly.
“The city asked us to spread it out,” said Dennis Roberts, a regional administrator with the FAA."

1) the city just asked them? And they did it?
2)maybe they accomplished that because it was about takoffs and not landings?
3)in the case of JFK, where the planes taking off and landing do so over different cities (nyc, nassau county), who has jurisdiction over the air space? What equivalent authority as that of Charlotte needs to ask the regional FAA administrator to do the same?

Anyone knows?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:30 PM

18,408 posts, read 31,529,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs26bsbs View Post
As I've claimed previously, people on Long Island are apathetic, ignorant and not very civic-minded. Our elected leaders are some of the most corrupt in the nation (see Ed Mangano). Sure there may be a letter written by some mayor or leader, but there's never any follow up. Never any real work done to help the people on the ground. I see Charlotte making progress, along with SF, DC and other cities. NY can't even get it's 'round-table' together. Something that was supposed to happen years ago to be the body that confronts the Port Auth and FAA.

For me, the 22L ILS approach to JFK has effectively destroyed my life and property value. The stress from the repetitive noise for 8-100 hours nonstop is incredible. Morons like Samyn who claim planes are silent can't begin to understand what it's like unless they live it. For anyone who doesn't 'get it' - Imagine the phone ringing in your house for 45 seconds, then there's 45 seconds of quiet. The individual phone ringing is not going to burst your eardrums. but then repeat that... 45 seconds ringing, 45 seconds quiet for 1 hours, or 8 hours or 100+ hours... non-stop. THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE. Then add in the factor the toxic pollution and the fact that the noise is LOUDER outside your home... and this is what NextGen is with the low altitude concentrated flight paths.

aint that the truth.!!!

I was at friends in Babylon today, and we had a few planes pass over ? I couldnt imagine the "arc" is that big? could it?........where is macarthur? maybe it was for there??

I agree with your description, it isnt the one plane, its the 900 that follow it all day long...

I have called written E mailed Schummer and Gillibrand, here in Brooklyn we had Prospect Park Quiet skies, the web man is still trying to help us....but why is it, other states are doing something serious, and here in NY nothing......it started 2012, it is now 2106....the part 150 study should have been done years ago, any noise monitors should have been read years ago.
Everything here is complete BS already.........

Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,986,624 times
Default Nearly silent

Repeated studies have demonstrated that approaching modern transport grade aircraft emit 70dBa of sound; the equivalent of a passing automobile. If you are wondering why your neighbors and elected officials and not acting on your concerns it is because the aircraft are nearly silent and most folks just don't notice them. It seems that only a "special" group is bothered by what should be a nearly silent point of interest above your home.

Where I live we have approaching aircraft passing right overhead and we marvel at them. Questions are spurred like what type of aircraft is that? who is onboard? Were did that originate? we look at the mobile phone apps and see if we guessed right. We realize we live under the busiest airspace in the world and we take advantage of the excitement of air-travel above our homes even when we cant travel.

The issue with these arrivals is that we almost always miss them as they pass by as they are so darn quiet now. Back in that day aircraft such as the DC-9 or 727 et al were so much loader, you folks may have had a case in 1982 but not in 2016 the aircraft are nearly silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island