Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 PM

55 posts, read 44,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
What do you think of this:

- Home

Nice job, Mrpepelepeu. I'll be following that. Hopefully this can lead to some kind of movement. Thanks for setting that up. Maybe the media will take some notice, finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 PM

983 posts, read 725,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackieavenue View Post
Nice job, Mrpepelepeu. I'll be following that. Hopefully this can lead to some kind of movement. Thanks for setting that up. Maybe the media will take some notice, finally.
Thanks but, this has to be done with you guys too.
It's not a one person job, AND it will only work if there's willingness here in this forum. If there isn't, we can't expect any other person to join a protest.

So, Jackie, will you actually go house by house in your area giving stickers and flyers?

How about you bs26? Nightcrawler? Misfit?
I know it can be done, and it can give results in just one day: the day of the protest.

Again, the webpage is nomorenoise.weebly.com

Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 AM

218 posts, read 268,081 times
Quote:
Thanks but, this has to be done with you guys too.
It's not a one person job, AND it will only work if there's willingness here in this forum. If there isn't, we can't expect any other person to join a protest.

So, Jackie, will you actually go house by house in your area giving stickers and flyers?

How about you bs26? Nightcrawler? Misfit?
I know it can be done, and it can give results in just one day: the day of the protest.

Again, the webpage is nomorenoise.weebly.com
When I lived in New Hyde Park under 22L, I printed out 200 fliers of something I made and went door to door. When I moved to Port Washington, I printed out another 200 fliers and went door to door. I received ZERO correspondence from any of the houses. Not one person. This makes me believe that people are just too busy with their lives to do anything about it. Kind of like the "frog in cold water being brought up to a boil" idea. They just don't notice and it will be too late before they do.

I have fought this long enough. I am moving once again. This time it is out of state. I hand the torch over. Long Island truly has become something god awful and the planes were just the icing on the sh*t cake.

Good luck to you all. I believe you will get the resolution we all have been fighting for for so many years.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM

50 posts, read 48,478 times
MrPep, your intentions are noble but misguided. Some rally/protest with a handful of folks from this board is useless. There have been rallies, articles in the papers, news reports by CBS and others.
The FAA is incredibly arrogant and beholden only to their corporate overlords. They don't give a damn about us (as evidenced by Samyn), and ignore every single attempt to engage, spewing the same crap that Samyn does. The ONLY way to effect change is unfortunately via our elected officials. I say unfortunately because we all see how incompetent and corrupt they are as well. You are better off trying to get more affected people engaged (difficult given the apathy and ignorance of LIers).

I too have handed out flyers and posted them at LIRR stations, pointing them to the plansesene4LI folks and urging them to write their elected leaders. Did it do anything, I don't know. Try to get people to join the various groups like planesense. Tweet, post to fb.... Try lawn signs and place them at LIE off ramps or major intersections. The more complaining, the more chance for change. Many of our elected leaders have written to (or even sued as with Phoenix) the FAA. From DC, to Minny, to Chicago, Charlotte and others, senators, congresspeople, town leaders are trying but the FAA and that POS Huerta ignore. Congress even passed a bill that included provisions that dictate that the FAA must engage communities when changes to paths are being planned etc... and the FAA ignored that as well.

What I find truly amazing about Samyn aside from his most of his claims, is there is not a single shred of empathy from him. Not once would he say 'I feel your pain... but...'. Not once would even the hint of compromise be mentioned. To him and the rest of the FAA, they have done nothing (planes make no noise), and there is nothing to change (flightpaths are as they always were). The facts on the ground mean nothing to these people (Samyn you must be a Trump guy aren't you?) I don't see how they can say this with a straight face. Yet hundreds of thousands (if not MILLIONS) across the country are affect by the new low altitude concentrated flight paths and are speaking up about it.

Samyn and his ilk would have you think that planes were just crashing into eachother all the time before these new concentrated low altitute paths were enacted. His comments contradict logic. 22L is used so planes going to JFK don't crash into planes from Islip??? WTF??? If that was the case then 22L would be the only path used. 22L is the 'overflow' path when the 31's are overloaded??? Yeah that used to be the case before 2012, now it is the PRIMARY path used well over 50% of the time. Flights are surging - um, no they peaked several years ago as you can see from your own data, they then dipped and are starting to rise again. The arcofdoom is necessary to bring planes away from other planes/airports, yet it brings them closer to every other airport in the region... and is used in the middle of the night regardless of winds when there is no air traffic within 50 miles. Winds dictate paths Safety first.... - yeah in a perfect world, but not around here they don't. I could go on and on...

Misfitg, good for you to be leaving this place. I can only dream of that possibility as work etc... has me here for a few more years. So I'll file my complaints, enjoy the few quiet days per month that I get, enjoy next year when 22L is under construction for a few months... send my letters and go to meetings if there are any with this incompetent round-table (Samyn you must love that these people can't get the together don't you).

Good luck to us all... keep up the fight!!!!!

Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
This is excellent. thanks.

The excuse of airplanes flying so low due to excessive trafic above going to other airports is bull.
I just went to flightradar for the first time.
The only airplanes I saw flying over long island other than JFK were going to europe.

Can anyone explain to me why an airplane going to Glasgow from Cancun HAS TO go over long island?

Another: Philadelphia to London flying right over JFK! WTF??
Please. Aircraft from Europe to Mexico may overfly Long Island because a great circle route, adjusted for prevailing wind at altitude, takes it there. The shortest distance between two points on a plane is a straight line, the shortest on a sphere is a great circle route. In virtually all cases it will be at 35,000 feet or higher and you'd have a hard time picking it out in the sky, much less hearing it. You're not going to hear the overflight from Philly either and neither will have an affect on landings or takeoffs so what's your beef with these flights?

If you want an exercise in mixing air traffic take a look at all the flights traveling up the coast to Boston that must be descended while passing over Long Island at the same time traffic heading south can be climbing to cruise altitude in the same area and European flights on similar tracks are descending to the New York, Philadelphia and Washington areas. Throw some east-west traffic over the area and add in departures and arrivals to Bridgeport and Hartford. Friday afternoon will be a great time to dive right in while thunderstorms rock the area.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:36 AM

You make it sound like the area above la guardia and jfk is the bermuda triangle. Every plane HAS to fly over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
flights traveling up the coast to Boston that must be descended while passing over Long Island
Why?? They can go over the water or west and turn? Is there anything wrong with a path that is NOT straight?

Quote:
at the same time traffic heading south can be climbing to cruise altitude in the same area
Why?? They can go over the water or west and turn? Is there anything wrong with a path that is NOT straight?

Quote:
and European flights on similar tracks are descending to the New York, Philadelphia and Washington areas.
Philadelphia and washington? They're south. Is there anything wrong with a path that is NOT straight?

Quote:
Throw some east-west traffic over the area
What east-west traffic??? If there's any, isn't it better not having it fly over one of the most populated areas in the world, where not too long ago planes crashed on buildings??

Quote:
and add in departures and arrivals to Bridgeport and Hartford
They can easily avoid going over nassau county. Is there anything wrong with a path that is NOT straight?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
You make it sound like the area above la guardia and jfk is the bermuda triangle. Every plane HAS to fly over it.

Philadelphia and washington? They're south. Is there anything wrong with a path that is NOT straight?

What east-west traffic??? If there's any, isn't it better not having it fly over one of the most populated areas in the world, where not too long ago planes crashed on buildings??

They can easily avoid going over nassau county. Is there anything wrong with a path that is NOT straight?
Straight?

I've been flying airliners in and out of the northeast corridor for over 30 years, and the "paths" in and out of any of the airports between BOS and DCA are not, and have never been, "straight".

Do a google search for SIDS/STARS for any of the northeast airports, and tell me how many straight lines you find.......

As much as you'd like it to be, airliners simply can't climb or descend vertically, nor can 2 or more occupy the same space at the same altitude at the same time. They need room to maneuver for landing, and for separation. THAT'S why they fly low over Nassau County, all of which is located very close to JFK.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Straight?
Do a google search for SIDS/STARS for any of the northeast airports, and tell me how many straight lines you find.......

In the link below I see so many straight lines that I just don't feel like counting them.

https://flightaware.com/resources/ai...K/STAR/all/pdf

But, why would I want to see those simplistic maps when I have real time visualization on Flightradar?

Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
In the link below I see so many straight lines that I just don't feel like counting them.

https://flightaware.com/resources/ai...K/STAR/all/pdf
Look at them from where they start to where they end. None of them go in a straight line.

The only, (relatively) straight arrivals are the LENDY and the CAMRN. The LENDY arrival starts at LVZ, and goes relatively straight until it ends at LGA.

All but 10 miles or so of the CAMRN, which starts at SIE, is over the Atlantic Ocean and ends at Deer Park.

Prior to reaching the last fix, aircraft are vectored all over God's green earth before landing, to ensure proper separation.

Quote:
But, why would I want to see those simplistic maps when I have real time visualization on Flightradar?
Because those "simplistic" maps are what the vast majority of the airplanes are doing at various times. Which one specific aircraft get typically depends on the direction they're coming from.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Look at them from where they start to where they end. None of them go in a straight line.
Could you please tell me how many miles is the average line?

Regardless, I was talking about airplanes that DON't go to La guardia or JFK. We need a detour sign in the sky to have ONLY la guardia and JFK above us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island