Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Gue Gue started this thread

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times

Advertisements

First read about it in the internet & realize it's happening here. Last year when we raked I actually said it looked like we had an acorn farm. I had never seen so many.

This year there are NONE.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 AM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times
Squirrals came out in full force when you weren't looking and buried them all.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen too many either. Last year I went around my yard and gathered a bunch and left them in a pile for the squirrals. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen the usual amount of squirrals in my yard. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but you may be onto something !!

Sort of like the honey bee's that have gone missing.

Strange times ahead of us all.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM

177 posts, read 893,162 times
Strange...we still had a ton of acorns this year. We have a huge tree in our backyard and the acorns pummel our deck and patio for a few weeks every year. I'd say we had the same amount as last year.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Quote:
Why are there no acorns this year?
They're all celebrating the election.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
The Squirrels know.

A VICIOUS winter approacheth.

crooks

Old 12-03-2008, 06:03 PM

43 posts, read 202,457 times
I have heard that oak trees don't produce acorns every year and thankfully we got a year off from shoveling the da** things off the ground and having a million little holes in the lawn (squirrels) and having to mow a million little saplings in the spring.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
They're all celebrating the election.

Well, I guess when you escape voter fraud charges it's reason to celebrate

Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
This is national news apparently...

Acorn Watchers Wonder What Happened to Crop

Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
This is national news apparently...

Acorn Watchers Wonder What Happened to Crop

Thanks for the link, alexei! I was relieved that my dozen oak trees didn't make a "mess" this year with all those acorns and just assumed it was an "off-year".
Guess we will have to wait till next year...

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times
I wish the same thing ("off" years) happened with sweetgum trees. Their leaves look almost like maples, but they produce the most PITA hard spiny stickery "sweetgum balls" by the gazillions. I seem to be cursed with these trees no matter where I live! Two houses ago, I deliberately planted one because I read that they can have spectacular fall color (operative word: CAN, not "will"... because you never know from one year to the next, or from one tree to the next). I was clueless about the sweetgum balls and in any case that tree was in a planting bed that didn't get mowed. Nonetheless I was glad to leave it behind when I sold... only to discover that there was a huge sweetgum in the southeast corner of the backyard of the house I bought! And that one littered beds AND lawn with the blasted things every fall and winter (they don't all fall off at once.. no such luck).

That house is now sold but guess what? We're house-sitting my SO's sister's place and her 2 acres have SIX of the &&%$#ing things! The lawn looks like a worldwide convention of miniature porcupines.

Give me acorns any day. At least the bluejays will eat those. No bird in its right mind would bother with a sweetgum ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island