U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM

135 posts, read 489,078 times

Advertisements

What is there to do in this town? Nearby areas? Are there any nice parks? Safe to walk around? What is the good and the bad? Good for a couple with 2 (in diapers) children? Prices seem reasonable for the homes but don't want to live in a dumpy area. For people who live or have lived or know others who live there. Thank you. How is the area about 1/2 mile north of Horseblock, in between N. Ocean and Nicoll's road? It is almost a half mile west of Bald Hill Cultural Park? Around John Drive?

Last edited by littlepawsinn; 12-04-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: change of title
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
What is there to do in this town? Nearby areas? Are there any nice parks? Safe to walk around? What is the good and the bad? Good for a couple with 2 (in diapers) children? Prices seem reasonable for the homes but don't want to live in a dumpy area. For people who live or have lived or know others who live there. Thank you.

There are some very nice areas up near Bald Hill.

However it has its issues near Horseblock/Portion (hence the low pricetag).
Farmingville the Movie

Truth be told I think your money would be better spent North.

Check Miller Place/Sound Beach/Rocky Point/Wading River/Ridge

Best

Crooks

Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 PM

150 posts, read 280,234 times
I may be mistaken but my general knowledge of the area is that it can be hard to sell a home there because they have issues with the day laborer population I've heard. From what I can gather, they're not raising crime or anything but are overcrowding houses (lots of trash, sometimes loud, can't do much about it), which drives property values down. There are also several areas where they congregate looking for work.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:41 AM

13,222 posts, read 15,646,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLists09 View Post
I may be mistaken but my general knowledge of the area is that it can be hard to sell a home there because they have issues with the day laborer population I've heard. From what I can gather, they're not raising crime or anything but are overcrowding houses (lots of trash, sometimes loud, can't do much about it), which drives property values down. There are also several areas where they congregate looking for work.

This is pretty much the case. And no, it appears that crime hasn't gone up...yet. Let's see what happens as the economy worsens.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM

444 posts, read 995,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLists09 View Post
I see it everyday on the way to work. Hundreds sometime right off of Northe Ocean Ave.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM

13,222 posts, read 15,646,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
I see it everyday on the way to work. Hundreds sometime right off of Northe Ocean Ave.

I can see realtors giving prospective buyers directions that avoid Portion road...especially what you see on a Saturday or Sunday, will discourage MANY buyers. If I didn't know the demographics, you would think driving through there that you are in a Mexican barrio. The only people on the streets are Central Americans.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,783,496 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Farmingville

For those who may not be familiar with Farmingville:

Farmingville is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the center part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Farmingville in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Coram; on the east by the Hamlet of Coram and the Hamlet of Medford; on the south by the Hamlet of Medford and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Centereach.

The Hamlet of Farmingville has a different border than does the "Farmingville, NY 11738" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Farmingville and a place can have other than a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Farmingville): places that have a "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Farmingville are in the Hamlet of Centereach, the Hamlet of Selden and the Hamlet of Holtsville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Farmingville with a "Centereach, NY 11720" and "Holtsville, NY 11742" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island