Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
OT but have you seen the fire house in Medford? Sheesh.

Yes

But nothing compares to Coram.

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
I live in Medford close to Gordon Heights.We are in the Gordon Heights fire district. The smallest fire district on Long island but yet the highest fire taxes. We have zero commercial interests here and that along with the financial abuse of the fire district ; touting needing new vehicles, payroll, etc.

There are lots of sex abusers living in Gordon Heights. Poverty is rampant ; absentee landlords are also part of the problem. Just because you rent a house seems to give one the opinion that you do not have to look after your property.

Where I live, it is beautiful. Our only huge problem is that we are taxed to the hills. There is no more money coming out of our pockets.Recently the house next door to me had a smoke alarm. Our neighbouring fire district arrived a good 10 mins before the fire district that we are paying good hard earned money to. So why are we paying the highest fire taxes again ; oh yes, its to make sure that we have up to date vehicles to come to an alarm 10 mins after the house has burned down. Luckily no house burned down this time, but its only a matter of time.

d

Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I think Gordon Heights has come a real long way and has a lot to be proud of.

Gordon Heights Future

The Fire Dept is redundant in the wake of the Coram Taj Majal but I am sensitive to Coram and Long Islands racist past.

Crooks

While I am senstitive also to our past, I think we need to move ahead and realize that our pockets only go so deep. While I appreciate all the firemen of the past and what they have done, it is not a racist thing at all ; this is purely a money thing. We do not have the money to continue maintaining a fire dept that constantly increases the budget, increases the spending and decreases the service. I have lived here for 4 years and in my recollection, I have seen the fire dept come to an alarm 3 times in my development. But yet, I am paying a good $1500 MORE per year than the surrounding depts.

d

Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
I think that you guys get to vote today about this , don't you? Don't forget to do this !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,865 times
Many people that comment on Gordon Heights and want to dissolve the Fire Dept do not understand why the fire dept was formed in the first place. I understand the concern of high taxes but dissolving the fire dept is not the only resolution. Let's open our minds and come up a win/win solution for all. You must also consider the cons of dissolving the Fire dept - you may pay less taxes but when your house burns to the ground by the time the other departments get to your house then what? GHFD has a very good response time and should be valued. GH has changed over the years but it started out as a true community where people took care of each other and everyone knew each other and fought together for a better life. Many of my family members were first residents of Gordon Heights. You have the Fire dept to service you, street lights, water systems, etc. due to the hard work of former residents. If you want history on GH go to www.gordonheights.net Yes, drugs, prostitution, sex offenders have infiltrated the community that I love but work together to bring it back to the beloved community that it is.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud of Gordon Heights View Post
Many people that comment on Gordon Heights and want to dissolve the Fire Dept do not understand why the fire dept was formed in the first place. I understand the concern of high taxes but dissolving the fire dept is not the only resolution. Let's open our minds and come up a win/win solution for all. You must also consider the cons of dissolving the Fire dept - you may pay less taxes but when your house burns to the ground by the time the other departments get to your house then what? GHFD has a very good response time and should be valued. GH has changed over the years but it started out as a true community where people took care of each other and everyone knew each other and fought together for a better life. Many of my family members were first residents of Gordon Heights. You have the Fire dept to service you, street lights, water systems, etc. due to the hard work of former residents. If you want history on GH go to www.gordonheights.net Yes, drugs, prostitution, sex offenders have infiltrated the community that I love but work together to bring it back to the beloved community that it is.

Gordon Heights has a lot to be proud of and has come a VERY, VERY long way.

Keep fighting the good fight.

crookhaven

Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud of Gordon Heights View Post

I understand what you are saying, but in actual fact recently my neighbours smoke alarm went off. Yaphank Fire Dept was there at least 10 mins before Gordon Heights!!

I give credit to the former residents, but we are living in today and not in the past. We just cannot afford to keep the fire district going. Its a matter of dollars and sense.

d

Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Yes

But nothing compares to Coram.

crooks
Ahh ha ha ha!!!!! Unbelievable!!

Google Image Result for http://www.coramfd.com/images/CoramFD_Firehouse.jpg

Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ahh ha ha ha!!!!! Unbelievable!!

Google Image Result for http://www.coramfd.com/images/CoramFD_Firehouse.jpg

You cant make this stuff up.

I heard from a member that the fencing alone was 100k.

The real kicker....their membership decreased and heating costs doubled,

Crookhaven

Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Is the area around the Mill Rd/Granny Rd intersection considered Gordon Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island