U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM

135 posts, read 487,195 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how these are installed? And how good they are? Also where do people buy them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM

119 posts, read 425,411 times
They require electricity (some have battery backup units). A stove will need a nearby 110-volt outlet. If you live where power outages are frequent, you may want to have a gas-powered generator on hand so that you can use the stove if the power goes out.

One drawback of pellet stoves is that they're relatively complex. The various moving parts and motors require occasional maintenance. It's a good idea to select a model that gives you easy access to any parts that need care. Regarding maintenance, it's not a bad idea to get a service contract because servicing a pellet stove can be a bit tricky.

Another Drawback is that they are high in cost. Searching Google, I found 3 places that have price ranges $1,499 - $2,200

Homedepot, Lowes any of those Home improvement stores will sell em

Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,104,720 times
Here is a recent thread about these babies. They are fantastic. In my opinion oil could be $0.25 a gallon and I'd still burn pellets.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...et-stoves.html

Also check out hearth.com...there is a whole forum just on pellet stoves.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 PM

366 posts, read 966,833 times
We have a pellet stove that we bought at Rella Coal. We love it and would recommend this very friendly, family-owned to everyone. The stove is great and heats the house very nicely. We do use our ceiling fans to help circulate the heat around the house. We have a cape and the heat is just fine upstairs as well. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,103,730 times
I have a pellet stove I bought from Lowes two years ago on clearance, all in all it cost me about $600 for the stove, piping and floor mat. I go through around 3 tons of pellets in a winter, but I only run the stove when I'm home, so basically from 6pm to 8am during the week. The stove is my primary source of heat during this time, all the other heat is turned down to 50.

They do require some maintenance, it's not like oil heat where all you do is turn the dial. My daily routine is to hit the shutdown button as I leave the house in the morning so it cools down. Then when I get home, I vacuum out the ash with a cheap little shop vac I picked up at target (when the ash kills the motor, I'll get another one - real ash vacs are EXPENSIVE!), clean the glass, load it up with pellets and hit the 'on' button. I top it off with pellets before I head to bed and that's about it. At the end of the season, I dismantle the exhaust pipe and clean it out really good and replace it. Every couple of years the insulation around the glass needs to be replaced. It's more maintenance than oil, but it's worth it to heat with something made right here in the good 'ole USA! And my little stove heats an entire 1200 sq foot house to a warm and toasty mid 70's temp! I do have fans to move the heat around installed at the top of the doorways.

It may not be a good stove if you can't move or lift the 40 pound bags that the pellets come in. If you can get the bag to the stove and get the pellets into the hopper, you're good to go.

Installing them is pretty easy too. Just need access to an outside wall without wiring running through it and then you need to put in a couple of holes, slip the piping through, caulk it and call it a day. My b/f and a friend did it in about an hour - took that long because of the freaking aluminum siding. The thing did stink when it first burned, so if I got a new stove, I might set it up outside and run it until the stink went away.

Last edited by lialleycat; 12-10-2008 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention installation

Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I have a pellet stove I bought from Lowes two years ago on clearance, all in all it cost me about $600 for the stove, piping and floor mat. I go through around 3 tons of pellets in a winter, but I only run the stove when I'm home, so basically from 6pm to 8am during the week. The stove is my primary source of heat during this time, all the other heat is turned down to 50.

They do require some maintenance, it's not like oil heat where all you do is turn the dial. My daily routine is to hit the shutdown button as I leave the house in the morning so it cools down. Then when I get home, I vacuum out the ash with a cheap little shop vac I picked up at target (when the ash kills the motor, I'll get another one - real ash vacs are EXPENSIVE!), clean the glass, load it up with pellets and hit the 'on' button. I top it off with pellets before I head to bed and that's about it. At the end of the season, I dismantle the exhaust pipe and clean it out really good and replace it. Every couple of years the insulation around the glass needs to be replaced. It's more maintenance than oil, but it's worth it to heat with something made right here in the good 'ole USA! And my little stove heats an entire 1200 sq foot house to a warm and toasty mid 70's temp! I do have fans to move the heat around installed at the top of the doorways.

It may not be a good stove if you can't move or lift the 40 pound bags that the pellets come in. If you can get the bag to the stove and get the pellets into the hopper, you're good to go.

Installing them is pretty easy too. Just need access to an outside wall without wiring running through it and then you need to put in a couple of holes, slip the piping through, caulk it and call it a day. My b/f and a friend did it in about an hour - took that long because of the freaking aluminum siding. The thing did stink when it first burned, so if I got a new stove, I might set it up outside and run it until the stink went away.
This is a great post. I never thought to burn the stove for a few hours outside while the pain cures...excellent idea.

When doing the install yourself...be aware that there are specs that do not appear in the stove or vet pipe manual. Like for instance....WHO KNEW you needed 12" clearance from your Electric meter. Also...there are height requirements if you vent your stove pipe out your roof (something like 2' above a point 10' from the vent pipe itself. Clear as mud??? :-)

Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 PM

371 posts, read 870,813 times
Pellet stoves rule!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM

3,180 posts, read 9,739,707 times
I understand there is a shortage of pellets? Has anyone had an issue with pellet supply?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I understand there is a shortage of pellets? Has anyone had an issue with pellet supply?
They are around...but the price has shot up about $100 a ton since summer. The challenge to find them under $400 a ton right now (with delivery)

Dare I say it...they are not much cheaper than oil :-)

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,103,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
They are around...but the price has shot up about $100 a ton since summer. The challenge to find them under $400 a ton right now (with delivery)

Dare I say it...they are not much cheaper than oil :-)
The trick is to plan early and stock up in the fall. I got mine at a little less than $300 a ton, which was higher than last year. Less home building/remodeling and furniture sales means less sawdust which equates to fewer pellets and higher prices. However, even if it's not cheaper than oil, I still feel ahead of the game using a sustainable, USA made product in a USA made stove to heat my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island