Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM

4,352 posts, read 5,085,658 times

Advertisements

can't seem to find out what percentage of the population of these two areas are Jewish. Anyone know, or have any good guesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 AM

335 posts, read 932,866 times
Percentage: Great Neck: very very high, Roslyn: high.

Honestly, the best thing to do if you really really need to know this is take a drive just before sundown around each area and look at the numbers of Xmas lights/decorations vs. houses.

You will be surprised that areas that were once nearly "completely" Jewish (like Roslyn) are now very mixed....and I think that is a good thing.

Areas in Roslyn such as Norgate are mixed, Country Estates is mostly Jewish still, Roslyn Estates is sort of mixed and Flower Hill (Roslyn) is also mixed.

Great Neck - - especially Thomaston, Kensington, and GN Estates are very Jewish. Allenwood as well. With Great Neck, keep in mind that the closer you are in walking distance to Jewish Temples/Centers, the more Orthodox it gets. You will notice this on realtor descriptions where they telegraph it and say: "close or within walking distance to Houses of Worship"

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,113,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
can't seem to find out what percentage of the population of these two areas are Jewish. Anyone know, or have any good guesses.

As I recall fairly high.

Ive heard theres a signifcant amout of Persian Jews coming into Great Neck of late.

Roslyn is becoming increasingly diverse as well and the schools are outstanding.

crooks

Old 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,919,574 times
Northern Great Neck village and Kings Point are heavily Persian--they've been there some time, but the community has expanded recently and built fancy new shuls. A bit further south (near the YI and Great Neck Synagogue), modern Orthodox (overlaps with the Persians). Iraqi shul on Great Neck Road. All of Great Neck(*), Jewish in general, increasing from south to north. There are large Conservative and Reform shuls in Great Neck village, and a smaller shul in Lake Success.

* - "Great Neck" in this case equaling the various villages and hamlets sharing the Great Neck postal area.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,580,264 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Great Neck and Roslyn

As AlexisT indicates, having a "Great Neck, NY 11020 to 11024" mailing address (6,022 acres) does not mean that a place is in the Village of Great Neck (866 acres), and the same can be said for the Village of Roslyn, where having a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address (3,496 acres) does not mean that a place is in the Village of Roslyn (381 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with Great Neck and Roslyn:

Great Neck is a village (incorporated in 1921) in the northwest part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Great Neck in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Kings Point; on the east by Manhasset Bay; on the south by the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Estates and the Village of Saddle Rock; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates and the Village Kings Point.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Great-neck-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Great Neck is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" mailing address that are not in the Village of Great Neck are in the Village of Great Neck Estates, the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Plaza, the Hamlet of Harbor Hills, the Village of Kensington, the Village of Kings Point, the Village of Lake Success, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Saddle Rock, the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of University Gardens.

Roslyn is a village (incorporated in 1932) in the center-east part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Roslyn in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Flower Hill, the Hamlet of Port Washington, Hempstead Harbor and the Village of Roslyn Harbor; on the east by the Village of East Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; and, on the west by the Village of Roslyn Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Roslyn is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Roslyn, NY 11576" mailing address that are not in the Village of Roslyn are in the Village of Roslyn Harbor, the Village of East Hills, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights, the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Hamlet of Searingtown, the Village of North Hills, the Village of Flower Hill and the Village of Old Westbury.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,429,443 times
For many, many decades, realtors steered Jewish folks to Great Neck, and Christians to Manhasset.

Roslyn...it looks like a nice town. I do not care much for LI but I might be able to live there.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM

4,352 posts, read 5,085,658 times
Thanks for the replys, but no one willing to venture a guess on
the percentages. Always good for a place to be diverse, religion being one of the factors.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,580,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Always good for a place to be diverse, religion being one of the factors.

My observation is that most of the Jews in the Greater Great Neck area, and more so in the Greater Roslyn area, are very secular, and, more likely than not, would prefer that their more Torah observant brethren live someplace else.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,297,675 times
Either way you cut it, most of them dont do their own lawn and love stuffing up the buses I take with illegal day laborers, it's mid December and they are still using them to blow leaves around. Into the storm drains and streets, no wonder flooding is such an issue up there. Imagine if we fined these ppl for breaking federal laws and stopped giving their "undocumented employees" free health and welfare. Yeah I'm a bit pissed off at the Governor's budget cuts...none of them seem to hurt the very rich and the day laborers they hire, they aim straight at the middle class, a vanishing breed here.
If I got 3 mil tomorrow I wouldn't move to Great Neck or Roslyn, too many fake ppl who seem to think they are above the law as they hold their noses in the air. They got NCPD at Roslyn HS for a basketball game to keep the cameras out, typical, our force is stretched thin but we can afford to do security for some rich snobs in Roslyn.
Believe it or not I am jewish, but due to my ways of thinking, I'm not very welcomed.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,297,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
For many, many decades, realtors steered Jewish folks to Great Neck, and Christians to Manhasset.

Roslyn...it looks like a nice town. I do not care much for LI but I might be able to live there.

Yuck...I like Sayville, Port Jeff, and Rocky Point better. Sorry I just don't feel the love for Roslyn, Great Neck, and vicinity. I'm too backwoods for these fancy folk I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island