Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 AM

149 posts, read 525,269 times

Advertisements

Are there any bus service at all in Suffolk on Sundays, or is it just certain lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
Are there any bus service at all in Suffolk on Sundays, or is it just certain lines?
Nope, no Sunday service at all, except for the summer only S47 from Babylon LIRR to Robert Moses.
Other than that, the N19 and N79 which run into Suffolk on Sundays.
That's the real ridiculous thing about Suffolk Transit...no Sunday service sometimes you do have to wonder if they are stuck in the golden years when everything was closed on Sundays.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:18 AM

40 posts, read 174,437 times
I somtimes ride the N31 and 32 from Far Rock to Lynbrook. At Rush hour you stand a very good chance of being unable to board the bus if you are not on one of the first few stops. their is a very simple solution which is allowing the dollar vans like they have in the city to operate on that route.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
I somtimes ride the N31 and 32 from Far Rock to Lynbrook. At Rush hour you stand a very good chance of being unable to board the bus if you are not on one of the first few stops. their is a very simple solution which is allowing the dollar vans like they have in the city to operate on that route.
You know, I've thought about that as well-the dollar van/gypsy cab/ride would be a help but the risk is not that quite worth it to me. And I have used them, especially for the Q6 route in Jamaica when visiting friends. I'm surprised there's not one for the Q43 route down Hillside from the LIRR in Jamaica...

ok, back to LI bus! I'm all for more buses, but I'd hate to think of the nightmare of having dollar vans out here! It wouldn't be pretty.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Are they really planning to charge $3.50 a ride starting this March ? That would be $7.00 round-trip (an hour's wage for many of those riders) . And, I think I heard (News Twelve) that they are considering raising the Senior Citizen age (just when I was able to get that) AND eliminating or curtailing the handicapped pass.
I've only ridden the bus once or twice, but I would say that most of the people on those buses qualify for at least one of those discounts.
That is really unfair. I would rather my taxes go for things that help people who need it (as they do in other countries) than for the war

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-01-2009 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 AM

143 posts, read 299,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would rather my taxes go for things that help people who need it (as they do in other countries) than for an unjust war.
Calling the war unjust is subjective... but I agree I'd rather have my taxes go to helping people than to continue to pay for a war that was poorly mismanaged and is now moreso a policing effort than an actual war.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
You know, I've thought about that as well-the dollar van/gypsy cab/ride would be a help but the risk is not that quite worth it to me.
Are the "dollar vans" still $1 or have they also upped the fare?

I agree, though. It's not quite worth the risk. You don't know if the operator of the dollar van has insurance or anything else. If he has an accident and you're injured, you'll be completely on your own regarding medical bills, lost wages, etc.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Don't they have to buy car insurance, though?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Are the "dollar vans" still $1 or have they also upped the fare?

I agree, though. It's not quite worth the risk. You don't know if the operator of the dollar van has insurance or anything else. If he has an accident and you're injured, you'll be completely on your own regarding medical bills, lost wages, etc.
The 'Dollar Van' drivers usually charge the price of what the bus fare is. I haven't taken one in about 2 years in Queens though, but I remember they pretty much keep up to date with fares .

Dollar Van is a name that stuck as that was what they charged for the longest to travel whatever bus route (to a point) they are shouting out.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Don't they have to buy car insurance, though?
Eh, I wouldn't bet on it. I mean, probably basic collision or something but it's not like those rides are sanctioned by the MTA or anything. Just guys driving up and down heavily traveled strips and dropping folks off at various corners along a certain bus route. I mean, when it's cold outside and you need to get somewhere they come in handy but you always have to remember the chance you take when you step foot inside that car or van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island