Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times

Advertisements

I lived in Plainview. It has a sizable and growing Korean population. East Indians also are coming in but they aren't as sizable as the Korean population.

For sizable Asian populations, why not look at the Herricks school district. I think that is Williston Park, Searington, and some other parts. It has a very high Asian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
I'm in Plainview every day. The Asian population is growing, definitely--2 Korean churches and 1 Chinese one, and a Korean supermarket. Some South Asians as well.

Jericho High School is 25% Asian, Syosset 23%. Plainview JFK is 12%, but there's variation within the district (Old Bethpage is almost all white). School breakdown is arguably more important than census stats if you have kids; also shows how the area is trending.

600K would be tight in Jericho, even in this market--very few houses listing under that. Syosset would be doable, but budget for taxes--very high.

Herricks SD is the most "Asian" statistically, but that includes south Asians and there's a large population there. Properties are also either smaller or more expensive. That said, my BIL's sister and her husband live in Williston Park (not sure which SD). They're a mixed Chinese-white couple, 2 kids, and are very happy there.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
For the most part your kids should be fine, not any worse of than they would be in a highly Asian area in Queens. Here, you might deal with an occasional comment from a knucklehead. In Queens, you might have to deal with more urban problems that are more of the "sticks and stones" variety, as opposed to just names.

I was friends with a handful of Asian students at my High School, and yes, they had to deal with prejudice comments every now and then. Did it ever come close to fisticuffs? Yes, but it never actually did. Someone would make a crack about Asians (usually a meatheaded jock or "dirtbag"), my friends would fire back with insults, it would get heated, and the others would usually back down..... because a racial incident wouldn't look good on their resume.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 PM

187 posts, read 863,155 times
Syosset as a few others said. Not sure how far your 600K will go but nice area, good schools. I have a friend that just moved there for the very same reason (his wife is Chinese). they are happy with the move.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM

103 posts, read 377,680 times
We recently moved to Old Bethpage. It's the same school district as Plainview. As others have mentioned, there's a strong Asian population. There's a really nice Korean supermarket that rivals any that I've been to in Flushing, which is awesome because I'm addicted to kimchi.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
My husband and I are in Queens, he is Asian and I am white. We are looking for an area that is somewhat diverse, good school district, very safe. we are looking to spend no more than 600K. We are concerned about living in an all white area, that people wouldn't be very "accepting" esp. since our son ( and any future children) will be of mixed ancestry

Thanks for any suggestions!
I'm in Stony Brook and we have a diverse population by virtue of proximity to SUNY. My neighbors behind me are Asian. Two different families around the corner are mixed Asian and white. Two of the three families have ties to SUNY.

The schools are considered above average.

Many people actually leave doors unlocked (don't ask me why -- it simply amazes me in this day and age) and there isn't much in the way of crime.

Residents in general are very accepting of everyone around them -- I haven't encountered jerks who have anything derogatory to say about anyone. There are several mixed race children in each grade level, children who are raised by gay parents, etc.

Charles Wang created the Wang Center on campus at SUNY and there are often Asian cultural activities there for the public to enjoy. There's an Asian market further south of SUNY; I haven't shopped there so I can not vouch for the quality and selection.

It is not a short ride into NYC by the LIRR from Stony Brook.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:24 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm in Stony Brook and we have a diverse population by virtue of proximity to SUNY. My neighbors behind me are Asian. Two different families around the corner are mixed Asian and white. Two of the three families have ties to SUNY.

The schools are considered above average.

Many people actually leave doors unlocked (don't ask me why -- it simply amazes me in this day and age) and there isn't much in the way of crime.

Residents in general are very accepting of everyone around them -- I haven't encountered jerks who have anything derogatory to say about anyone. There are several mixed race children in each grade level, children who are raised by gay parents, etc.

Charles Wang created the Wang Center on campus at SUNY and there are often Asian cultural activities there for the public to enjoy. There's an Asian market further south of SUNY; I haven't shopped there so I can not vouch for the quality and selection.

It is not a short ride into NYC by the LIRR from Stony Brook.

I think Stony Brook is by far the most progressive community on the North Shore and the schools are excellent.

crooks

Old 12-25-2008, 08:08 AM

283 posts, read 581,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I think Stony Brook is by far the most progressive community on the North Shore and the schools are excellent.

crooks

Funny enough, I actually went to Stony Brook and the area never crossed my mind! I will certainly start looking in this area. Thanks everyone!

Old 12-25-2008, 06:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Maybe a little OT here...but I wonder if the town boards follow these forums. By our overwhelming opinion...the purchase of a home, and addition to the Stony Brook community tax base may very well be made. It appears that tax dollars are made and lost due to information found here.

Makes you wonder if the powers that be know this type of influence is out there.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
Funny enough, I actually went to Stony Brook and the area never crossed my mind! I will certainly start looking in this area. Thanks everyone!
I live in the area, and if you want any info on particular streets, I would be happy to try to help. Shoot me a DM if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island