Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times

Advertisements

It is quite common for agents listing a home in Fort Salonga to actually put up two listings, one as Fort Salonga and one as Northport.

Also, I have never heard of the Hamlet of North Northport. I don't think anyone else around here has either.

I wasn't challenging your, uh, I mean the, maps, Walter. Simply pointing out how the locals define things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
It is quite common for agents listing a home in Fort Salonga to actually put up two listings, one as Fort Salonga and one as Northport.
Tom, has anyone ever thought of listing such a home as "Fort Salonga (Northport P.O.)"?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Tom, has anyone ever thought of listing such a home as "Fort Salonga (Northport P.O.)"?
Walter, that's not an option on Stratus. We have to select from the names of locations available when we enter listings.
(I know I'm not Tom, sorry )

Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Walter, that's not an option on Stratus. We have to select from the names of locations available when we enter listings.

As a realtor, Elke, how would you list a property that has a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address, but is not in the Village of Northport, and is in the Hamlet of Fort Salonga?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
As a realtor, Elke, how would you list a property that has a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address, but is not in the Village of Northport, and is in the Hamlet of Fort Salonga?

Walter, definitely as "Fort Salonga" and, depending on the exact location, possibly "Northport", if the public generally perceives it as such.
I understand that technically this may be misleading, however, from a marketing point, as Realtors, it's our job to reach as many potential buyers as possible. There is room in the "remarks" section for clarifications/explanations of any kind, including area identification, i.e. "Northport Post Office", "close to Village of Northport", etc. This is where a Realtor's effort to be "exact" comes into play.

Does that make sense to you?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Walter, definitely as "Fort Salonga" and, depending on the exact location, possibly "Northport", if the public generally perceives it as such.
" ... (I)f the public generally perceives it as such," is an interesting ethical standard, huh?

Quote:
I understand that technically this may be misleading, however, from a marketing point, as Realtors, it's our job to reach as many potential buyers as possible. There is room in the "remarks" section for clarifications/explanations of any kind, including area identification, i.e. "Northport Post Office", "close to Village of Northport", etc. This is where a Realtor's effort to be "exact" comes into play.
I thought from a previous posting of yours that the Realtors first job was a high ethical standard, and I do not see marketing a property as being in "Northport", when it is not in the Village of Northport, but is in the Hamlet of Fort Salonga ("Northport, NY 11768" mailing address) as meeting a high ethical standard, regardless if the public generally perceives it as such.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 PM

I see nothing wrong with listing a property as Northport, as long as it is within the Northport 11768 zip code.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with listing a property as Northport, as long as it is within the Northport 11768 zip code.

I wonder what would happen, should, after they purchased a property marketed as being in "Northport", someone found out that this property is not in the Village of Northport as indicated on the official map of Suffolk County, as maintained by the Sufolk County Planning Department, where the only "Northport" is the Village of Northport, and sued the real estate agent and agency that sold this property as being in "Northport" for misrepresentation and fraud?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM

It would certainly be pointed out during the process that, while they are enjoying the prestige of having a Northport mailing address, they are receiving the benefit of not having to pay the additional village taxes.

I think it would be more egrarious to show someone a home in Crab Meadow and tell them it is in Fort Salonga, even though, according to the census maps indicate that is the case. Nobody here considers or calls Crab Meadow part of Fort Salonga and demographically it does not stack up to it.

Here's one for you to ponder, Walter:

My sister bought a home a couple of years ago that is on the border of Valley Stream and Malverne. It's a Valley Stream mailing address and Valley Stream schools. However, it falls just within the Village of Malverne, so she pays Malverne taxes.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Here's one for you to ponder, Walter:

My sister bought a home a couple of years ago that is on the border of Valley Stream and Malverne. It's a Valley Stream mailing address and Valley Stream schools. However, it falls just within the Village of Malverne, so she pays Malverne taxes.

Nothing much to ponder, Tom: your sister bought a home in Malverne ("Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island