Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
You can keep the Hamptons and Orange County.... give me any local dive on LI where I can get a Budweiser for under five bucks and they still let you ash on the floor!
Agreed

LI is gin mill heaven.

Trees Lounge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
You can keep the Hamptons and Orange County.... give me any local dive on LI where I can get a Budweiser for under five bucks and they still let you ash on the floor!
Where on LI are you smoking in a bar? Hasn't been allowed in years.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Where on LI are you smoking in a bar? Hasn't been allowed in years.
I'd wager a third of the bars on LI don't enforce that law whatsoever, where exactly I can't say - since I'm sure more than one police officer reads these forums! I'm not as much of a drinker as I once was, so I could be wrong but I was out just last night drinking cheap Budweisers and building ashtray monuments somewhere in central Nassau County.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 22,953 times
Default Is this question for real?

Aw, come ON people! I married a Finnegan from Huntington, Long Island and am a 4th generation native of Orange County, Ca.
So I am a hard-core, surfing, proud Californian.....who also happens to love Long Island. But wow - they are totally different in just about every way I can think of (other than the shopping in Massepequa is comparable to Newport Beach - and Oyster Bay reminds me of Carmel, Ca).
Comparing the two areas is ridiculous. The whole "left coast/right coast" comparison is just a question of different....not better. To enable that mind-set of competition between NY and Calif kind of tweaks me off.

Let me tell you something, though. The CURRENT "image" of Orange County, Ca is NOT the real Orange County. I had not heard the term "The OC" until the TV show, my daughters AVOID looking like the little mindless brats on the show, and no one I know watches it or would be caught DEAD befriending any of the plastic "Wives of Orange County".
Orange County has an old, quiet culture. The ones with the most money are QUIET about it, earned it through hard work in construction or farming and are appalled at the whole new culture of celebrity and bling. I remember when there was a small-town feel and you could run into John Wayne while getting a donut.
If you want to talk weather.....again - it isnt a question of "better". We simply dont LIKE more than two seasons in Calif. If I have to wear more than 2 pieces of clothing....Im uncomfortable.
As far as NY having better beaches....Im not even gonna go there.
It is also easier to find a good, authentic family-owned restaurant in NY....rather than a chain restaurant. We have great restaurants - you just have to work to find them, which is also fun.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFinnegan View Post
Aw, come ON people! I married a Finnegan from Huntington, Long Island and am a 4th generation native of Orange County, Ca.
So I am a hard-core, surfing, proud Californian.....who also happens to love Long Island. But wow - they are totally different in just about every way I can think of (other than the shopping in Massepequa is comparable to Newport Beach - and Oyster Bay reminds me of Carmel, Ca).
Comparing the two areas is ridiculous. The whole "left coast/right coast" comparison is just a question of different....not better. To enable that mind-set of competition between NY and Calif kind of tweaks me off.

Let me tell you something, though. The CURRENT "image" of Orange County, Ca is NOT the real Orange County. I had not heard the term "The OC" until the TV show, my daughters AVOID looking like the little mindless brats on the show, and no one I know watches it or would be caught DEAD befriending any of the plastic "Wives of Orange County".
Orange County has an old, quiet culture. The ones with the most money are QUIET about it, earned it through hard work in construction or farming and are appalled at the whole new culture of celebrity and bling. I remember when there was a small-town feel and you could run into John Wayne while getting a donut.
If you want to talk weather.....again - it isnt a question of "better". We simply dont LIKE more than two seasons in Calif. If I have to wear more than 2 pieces of clothing....Im uncomfortable.
As far as NY having better beaches....Im not even gonna go there.
It is also easier to find a good, authentic family-owned restaurant in NY....rather than a chain restaurant. We have great restaurants - you just have to work to find them, which is also fun.

Actually Carmel reminds me of Port Jeff with Sea Lions.

And I do agree ..."The OC" is to Orange County as "HAMPTONS Magazine" is to Suffolk County.
However those poser Punk Rock Blink 182 kids "keeping it real" at the Irvine Sectrum in 2k worth of designer gear really chap my ass.

I do appreciate your sentiment regarding the beaches bud I'd still take Ocean Beach or Cupsogue in season over anything along the PCH year round.

One think I do miss about SoCal is the the killer local Burrito bars and of course the In N Out burger.
(One mans In N Out is another mans White Castle)
Huntington Beach is cool as hell (kinda reminds me of Long Beach)and I really liked Newport Beach too, but theres no place like home...and no city like NY.

Peace from the East

crooks

Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 22,953 times
crook - well said, and exactly my point. There is no comparison when "home is home" - and the beauty of going someplace else is to discover what is DIFFERENT. Let me know when you are on the left side and I will buy you one on the cliffs at Laguna Village. happy holidays to ya!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFinnegan View Post
crook - well said, and exactly my point. There is no comparison when "home is home" - and the beauty of going someplace else is to discover what is DIFFERENT. Let me know when you are on the left side and I will buy you one on the cliffs at Laguna Village. happy holidays to ya!

Nice.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

I would agree that the 2 best places to live in the Country are SoCal and LI.

crooks

Old 12-31-2008, 04:10 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Nice.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

I would agree that the 2 best places to live in the Country are SoCal and LI.

crooks
I think it would be more SoCal and the Tri-state area. With SoCal at a distant first.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
I think it would be more SoCal and the Tri-state area. With SoCal at a distant first.
For starters you can keep Jersey.

Until they can trade LA for Manhattan....SoCal will always remain a distant second in my book.

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
For starters you can keep Jersey.

Until they can trade LA for Manhattan....SoCal will always remain a distant second in my book.

crooks
Haha Jersey's that bad? I go into the city like once every 3 months so it doesn't really bother me if it isn't like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island